Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Mods, would suggest another thread title adjustment, something like

Cold spell continues, heavy snow and hail showers likely today (northwest favoured)

This should communicate that all regions have some risk of seeing heavy wintry showers of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

As I went to bed last night I had half feared there night have been a lot of lying snow in and around Dublin 8 this morning but looking outside it seems we've been fortunate and there is only a light dusting. Shouldn't be a bad commute today.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Lol, as predicted. It is now 2601 days since we woke to a fall of snow in Fairview, Dublin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lol, as predicted. It is now 2601 days since we woke to a fall of snow in Fairview, Dublin 3.

Don't panic.

More opportunities for snow this week.

Be patient :pac:

Worthwhile event here. It's a pity the thaw set in so vigorously. Unfortunately the realities of the complexity of atmospheric mesoscale thermodynamics especially in this marginal patch we inhabit are still beyond even the most sophisticated computer models.

All we can do is our best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

... Unfortunately the realities of atmospheric mesoscale thermodynamics are still beyond even the most sophisticated computer models...

Was thinking the same thing over ma weetabix just then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A good fall in Lucan. Roads and paths all cleared. Car had 2-3 cm on it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

About 2 to 3cm here too in Dublin 16 but roads and paths are clear of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The roughly 2cm that was on the ground in D14 during the night has pretty much entirely melted, 1.3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Got to finally use my snow brush on my car. Had it for years but never got to use it.

Now was it's time to shine.

Lucky it wasn't too much and no rapid freeze and black ice so the commute will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

North Of Gorey 100asl. About 2 cm on roof of car. Paths and roads clear, disappearing quickly from grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Had been hoping to wake up even to a slight dusting after the showers started late last night but no such joy in bray. A bitterly cold morning though

I hear you, in Greystones and the same story. Living here for 7 years and still have not woken up to snow, even the roof was white before I went to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭vickers209

MetLuver wrote: »
    I hear you, in Greystones and the same story. Living here for 7 years and still have not woken up to snow, even the roof was white before I went to bed.

same in ashford
    looks like wicklow coast got very little

web_hly_mslp_2018020615.gif?h=1517900400000

This mesoscale feature in to the north later today will have to be watched. Could bring longer and more persistent snow showers down over the country this evening, particularly the western half.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Light snow in North Donegal this morning on the commute, but nothing serious.

Not lying except for higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

This mesoscale feature in to the north later today will have to be watched. Could bring longer and more persistent snow showers down over the country this evening.
    Could it hit us in the east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This mesoscale feature in to the north later today will have to be watched. Could bring longer and more persistent snow showers down over the country this evening, particularly the western half.

Siobhan Ryan in her forecast last night had a lot of showers coming down over the country later this afternoon and evening.

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Could it hit us in the east ?

Potentially. Can't call that at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

At least five to six cm's of lying snow up here near the Wicklow gap and still snowing quite heavily. 270m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah well, the cold giveth and the cold taketh away. The lovely blanket that was last night is now a peppered sheet and rapidly melting. On the upside getting around will be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Frost here in the burren,typically it freezes after the precipitation.

Maybe well get shnow later today....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'm sure lots of people around Dub saying they got none had some at 2am. Thawing since around 4am but the drip drip has stopped now

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

vickers209 wrote: »
    same in ashford
    looks like wicklow coast got very little

What's new though, if it's not dew points it's lack of precipitation, if it wasn't so cold I'd feel like we're living in California :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Cavan Town. About 1cm of snow still lying on grass and walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A powdery dusting here. Icy too.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

Definite line at around 250 meters, taken from Garden in glencree valley

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'm sure lots of people around Dub saying they got none had some at 2am. Thawing since around 4am but the drip drip has stopped now

Quite surprising the thaw. Must have been very wet snow.

Pretty consistent 0.9c here in Dublin 16 this morning. There was a full cover of snow on the grass at 6am, now there's very little left on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

<1cm on car roofs and garden table and grass. None on roads or paths. Currently 1.3C. DP -0.6C. The overnight low was -0.2C early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    <1cm on car roofs and garden table and grass. None on roads or paths. Currently 1.3C. DP -0.6C. The overnight low was -0.2C early this morning.

Blanchardstown and castleknock in Dublin 15 got 2/3 cm. Blizzarding at about 1-2 am.

Didn't look good for a while but did intensify after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Ferns Co Wexford light dusting on car And bit on grass disappearing quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Td's (Dew points) around the country. Not as low as the models predicted for this time, but still impressive for a NW'ly:

pointrosee_uk.png

New Moon

Advertisement