Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

Another damp squid on the east coast, really am looking forward to spring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Slight frost in East Galway
    Doesn't feel overly cold

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing much of note at my level near Roundwood. Went to bed at midnight to a very minor dusting, a couple of cm's on the cars this morning and above freezing temps and tarmac clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice wintry scene on my webcams this morning. Roads are all fine at lower levels.

Oh to be on Lug this morning!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/960790421340413953

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

joe199 wrote: »

Them wet squids are everywhere on the east coast.....lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You can just about see snow on the mountains in the distance.

Spring? What’s that? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

No snow at all in Athlone but a heavy frost, be careful on roads.

About 3cm this morning, Blessington, 200m asl. Puppy didn't know what was going on in the back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Spring? What’s that? Lol
    It's when a big Greenland high builds and the NAO goes negative.

Very little snow left here, I presume there was an overnight thaw?
    0.8c now.

• Advertisement

It's when a big Greenland high builds and the NAO goes negative.

Very little snow left here, I presume there was an overnight thaw?
    0.8c now.

That sounds like Summer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

A light sprinkling of snow and frozen over in Westport. Might have a shower or two today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Quite surprising the thaw. Must have been very wet snow.

Pretty consistent 0.9c here in Dublin 16 this morning. There was a full cover of snow on the grass at 6am, now there's very little left on the grass.

Very Dramatic thaw here too near Arklow in last 2 hours
    Fields are green away from ditches
    Some on roofs and on the car still
    About a mile further inland all white still by the looks of things and the hills are dazzling
    Currently 2.4c but bitter cold

My father always said,there’s nothing as cold as a thaw wind,he was right
    My mother used put it differently
    She’d say t’wud freeze the Danes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy showers of snow / sleet going through here in Tralee, some cars obviously from inland higher ground with a few cm's of snow on them. About 2C .

Rain now. Patches of blue sky nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Maybe where you are, but we had about 2-3 cm this morning in Lucan, thawed on the roads and paths, but kids had fun with the snow on the grass. They wouldn't call it a damp squid, it made their day!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Snow showers now in West roscommon. Roads still white after very early morning snow showers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

My father always said,there’s nothing as cold as a thaw wind,he was right

An old saying around these parts too, and there is truth to it.

A gentle snow flurry passing through here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pete2k wrote: »
    Snow showers now in West roscommon. Roads still white after very early morning snow showers

Bustard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Couple of cm on the favoured surfaces here in Waterford. Nice surprise for the kids to be able to make a snowman before school.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Maybe where you are, but we had about 2-3 cm this morning in Lucan, thawed on the roads and paths, but kids had fun with the snow on the grass. They wouldn't call it a damp squid, it made their day!

Lucan/Blanchardstown area often gets lying snow whereas further east going into the city or to the coast it thaws much more quickly. Walked from Castleknock gate of phoenix park to city end recently and the snow had nearly all but disappeared when I arrived at city end but was still all over the place when I came to Castleknock.

About 3 cm last night in Blanch, Dublin 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

No sign of anything in Limerick.

Just light frost and 1c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Lovely morning here, no wind, blue sky, crisp. Oddly snow would spoil the moment. This is the winter I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dusting again in Sligo Town this morning. Stuck to paving road surface as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just to show how the wetness of the snow changed from start to finish, at Casement, 0.4 mm of precipitation fell up to midnight, and at that point 2 cm of snow cover was reported (there were no snow depths before this so the first snow that fell melted). Given that this is to the nearest cm, the liquid-equivalent ratio up to that point is was in the nice fluffy range of 20-30, but probably higher than that at the very start.

After midnight, the highest snow depth reported was 3 cm at 1 and 2 am, after which the snow died off. Around 1.5 mm of precipitation fell after midnight, yet only added 1 more cm to the depth. In this case the ratio was more like 5-10, meaning much wetter snow.

As the ground had not been frozen there was a lot of internal heat remaining to cause that quick thaw as soon as the snow stopped falling later in the night. Had we had a clear evening yesterday then we could have had some frost on the ground to both help initial accumulation and also slow down the subsequent thaw, but as I worried, that layer of cloud throughout yesterday afternoon and evening put a spanner in the works.

If the wave formation on this front comes any further north on Thursday night then we have a real problem on our hands and last night would be peanuts by comparison!

gfs-2-66.png?6

Right now looks a bullet just missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just to show how the wetness of the snow changed from start to finish, at Casement, 0.4 mm of precipitation fell up to midnight, and at that point 2 cm of snow cover was reported (there were no snow depths before this so the first snow that fell melted). Given that this is to the nearest cm, the liquid-equivalent ratio up to that point is was in the nice fluffy range of 20-30, but probably higher than that at the very start.

After midnight, the highest snow depth reported was 3 cm at 1 and 2 am, after which the snow died off. Around 1.5 mm of precipitation fell after midnight, yet only added 1 more cm to the depth. In this case the ratio was more like 5-10, meaning much wetter snow.

As the ground had not been frozen there was a lot of internal heat remaining to cause that quick thaw as soon as the snow stopped falling later in the night. Had we had a clear evening yesterday then we could have had some frost on the ground to both help initial accumulation and also slow down the subsequent thaw, but as I worried, that layer of cloud throughout yesterday afternoon and evening put a spanner in the works.

Good morning Gaoth Laidir, what are your thoughts on today's forecasted showers, don't have time to look at charts, I have too work near Hollywood wicklow today, travelling by motorbike
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If the wave formation on this front comes any further north on Thursday night then we have a real problem on our hands and last night would be peanuts by comparison!

gfs-2-66.png?6

Knowing our winter luck it will head south but will keep an eye anyway.

The showers today seem to be stuck to the coast and not much penetration inland.

Knowing our winter luck it will head south but will keep an eye anyway.

The showers today seem to be stuck to the coast and not much penetration inland.

I don't think we'll see much if anything in the eastern half of the country (could be wrong). A mesoscale feature does drift down the west though enhancing showers here. Cork could see some enhanced activity. The east though looks bitter tonight.

Meanwhile Hirlam increasingly going for the warm front on Wednesday to snow in the eastern half of the country...something else worth watching.

hirlamuk-1-30-0.png?06-10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

gfs-2-66.png?6

Did you just call potential heavy snow a problem? :eek: :p

Given the 6z's tendancy to be a tad progressive I could see a shift back anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hansfield train station and Ongar in Dublin 15 this morning!

Advertisement