Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Lacken Co Wicklow this morning, obligingly left the roads clear.

[IMG][/img]Snow%2006.02.18_zpsvmv6kuz2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The weekend promises the type of fun we have not seen in a very long time (a couple of weeks) :P

UW120-21.GIF?06-06

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Hoagy wrote: »
    Lacken Co Wicklow this morning, obligingly left the roads clear.

[IMG][/img]Snow%2006.02.18_zpsvmv6kuz2.jpg

Spent the first 12 years of my life about 200 metres up the road from that shot - loved it ! Snow every year guaranteed !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a thaw on here, lovely sunny day. Still just over 1-2 cm of snow and garden still white. roads and footpaths now totally clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The bottom right is aberystwyth beach due east of Wicklow
    Basically it snowed right across the Irish Sea en route to there

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/960831723041849345

• Advertisement

The bottom right is aberystwyth beach due east of Wicklow
    Basically it snowed right across the Irish Sea en route to there

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/960831723041849345

Not surprised. 850's were sub -10, DPs around -4c.

Not snow now though at aberystwyth;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

At least you guys in the east got falling and (for a while) settling snow last night and ye had this a few weeks back to. We had sleet / very wet melting snow at best - the third such event this winter. I can't believe a winter with so many possible westerly based snow events has yet to cause 5 mins of snow here that even settles on grass. Subject to correction I reckon everywhere except (most of) Cork, Kerry, Clare and Limerick has seen some snow this winter? (cue a hundred replies correcting me in both respects!).

Subject to correction I reckon everywhere except (most of) Cork, Kerry, Clare and Limerick has seen some snow this winter?

Hold on...

robot-playing-violin-by-adhi_Adarsh%2Bvijay.gif

Anyone else having lags and delays at times refreshing pages or posting on boards today and yesterday?
    One minute v slow
    Next flying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Anyone else having lags and delays at time refreshing pages or posting on boards today and yesterday?
    One minute v slow
    Next flying

Yep, big trouble. Keep having to close and go back in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Could flying out from Cork airport at 7 on Friday morning be an issue?

Can you report it to @boards.ie on twitter please and on the feedback forum
    No reports means no fix
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Anyone else having lags and delays at time refreshing pages or posting on boards today and yesterday?
    One minute v slow
    Next flying

yep, getting error pages up myself too.
    Must be all us snow followers constantly refreshing this thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

The arctic is warming and the main cold area of air is being shoved away from its normal area at the pole towards Greenland.

With our constant NW flow of weather the air coming down over ourselves is much colder than recent Winters. At times thevery cold pool over Greenland is edging further South so I wouldnt be surprised to see snow in all parts of Ireland at some stage in February.

Opportunities coming up are

Thursday and Saturday night...followed by a couple of chances next week.

End of month could be even colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely sunny morning in Kildare, getting to that stage where I'm longing for a bit of spring warmth again, I'll give it a couple more weeks..

About a cm of patchy snow on the grass this morning here, melting all the while. Nothing to write home about though better than nothing I suppose, at least the roads were clear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the thaw is way more aggressive than I thought it would be today. The Sun really powering through the snow now. I reckon only snow left in the shade by 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    The arctic is warming and the main cold area of air is being shoved away from its normal area at the pole towards Greenland.

With our constant NW flow of weather the air coming down over ourselves is much colder than recent Winters. At times thevery cold pool over Greenland is edging further South so I wouldnt be surprised to see snow in all parts of Ireland at some stage in February.

Opportunities coming up are

Thursday and Saturday night...followed by a couple of chances next week.

End of month could be even colder.

I am not sure about this. cold air is not 'shoved away' from the Arctic, because there is no real cold air up there to shove away in the first place:

gfs_nh-sat1_t2anom_1-day.png

Still getting some light flurries here but showers are short lived. Poor drying in general despite the sun and the breeze.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I am not sure about this. cold air is not 'shoved away' from the Arctic, because there is no real cold air up there to shove away in the first place:

Plenty!

gfsnh-1-6.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Plenty!

gfsnh-1-6.png?6

Very warm for the Arctic! We need it much colder if it is to sustain in any meaningful way before it reaches us. Also consider that most the Atlantic is warmer than should be, with a near constant body of huge anomalous warmth to our north and in the Norwegian Sea that is doubtlessly helping to feed warm temps into the Arctic region over the last decade.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Snowed thawed so incredibly quickly in D6. I looked out my bedroom window at 2am and there was a nice covering of snow on cars and rooves and grass-couldnt see the ground because it was dark.Looked like maybe 1.5cm Almost all completely gone by morning when I woke up at 8am

• Advertisement

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Ireland
    Extremely cold after dark and into daytime Wednesday. Air temperatures will fall back to -3 or -4 degrees, coldest away from the Atlantic, and even colder over lying snow.

Issued:Tuesday 06 February 2018 11:00
    Valid:Tuesday 06 February 2018 16:00 to Wednesday 07 February 2018 04:00

From Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Beautiful cold morning in Galway with a lovely blue sky, no sign of the forecasted heavy showers of sleet and snow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

From Met Eireann

Some crazy windchill tonight:

nmm_uk1-43-15-4_eka8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The weekend promises the type of fun we have not seen in a very long time (a couple of weeks) :P

What exactly is that chart showing?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Extremely light sleet now in East of Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Hold on...

robot-playing-violin-by-adhi_Adarsh%2Bvijay.gif

Easily known some have had their snow fix in the last 12 hours.......(cries softly to himself)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Extremely light sleet now in East of Galway City.

Turned to hail now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some light flurries in Castlebar, DP is down to -4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Rapid thaw in Dundalk this morning but suddenly started snowing 2 minutes ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Light shower flirting with turning to full on snow in galway city.
    Decided to turn back to rain instead.

Advertisement