Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Very warm for the Arctic! We need it much colder if it is to sustain in any meaningful way before it reaches us. Also consider that most the Atlantic is warmer than should be, with a near constant body of huge anomalous warmth to our north and in the Norwegian Sea that is doubtlessly helping to feed warm temps into the Arctic region over the last decade.

Atlantic isn't too warm to our North West at least but yeah our best chance of sustaining severe cold will be as ever over a short sea track I.e a strong North easterly.

sstEurope_anom_2018-02-05.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Still snow on some roofs and in some gardens here.

There is always one garden that holds on to snow for an abnormal period on their grass. I have one of those next to me :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow now almost complete melted where the sun has destroyed it, but shaded areas of grass still white but even that is thinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Started snowing again in Cavan. Not much though

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Few flakes blowing around in the wind now, with very little thaw of last nights snow on the ground. Temp hasn’t got above one degree. Back roads still icy in parts around here. Tara, Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Few flakes blowing around in the wind now, with very little thaw of last nights snow on the ground. Temp hasn’t got above one degree. Back roads still icy in parts around here. Tara, Meath.

the height of Tara hill must be making a big difference. Everything here is green now except for shaded/sheltered parts of gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just as I was about to post 'all the snow nearly melted in Sligo Town', another light flurry has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

some moderate but brief snow showers feeding into this part of Co. Down from the north now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heavy wet snow currently in Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I keep checking the web cam in lahinch to see if there's Cloud's heading eastwards....
    I hope Clare will get a bit of paste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Worst part of Snow in Feb is the ability of the Sun to melt it :(

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/960871408778784768

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

It's getting dull now off the coast of Clare,just checked the surfshop webcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Nice sunny day here now, 4.0c and dp at -3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Light snow/graupel Roscrea

Seven Worlds will Collide

Villain wrote: »
    Worst part of Snow in Feb is the ability of the Sun to melt it :(

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/960871408778784768

at least it's still early enough for well sheltered snow to just about hang on through the day. I didn't think last nights snow would melt quite this quick tho. March snow is in a far worse off position and is usually always melted in total by before midday, unless there is a serious dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temperatures will fall rapidly after dark. Any precip will be snow and it will all settle. Interesting to see where exactly it will be.

Very cold tonight, could be coldest of the winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temperatures will fall rapidly after dark. Any precip will be snow and it will all settle. Interesting to see where exactly it will be.

Are you expecting temps to go lower than the -7c that some places have already seen this winter?

New Moon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Hailstones here in Tullamore right now. Still some snow on the ground as well.

thaw has stopped here now with ground starting to freeze over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nearly went on my ear in Train Station Car Park in Sallins.

Ground is already freezing over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

unfortunately any precipitation looks like it wont be very widespread. yesterday met eireann had a lot of showers forecast for this afternoon/evening but their latest forecast looks like very isolated one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

unfortunately any precipitation looks like it wont be very widespread. yesterday met eireann had a lot of showers forecast for this afternoon/evening but their latest forecast looks like very isolated one.

All that shower activity breaking up quickly once it makes landfall, only the odd flurry getting to the midlands and south/east. Need an ole poke from a polar low to get things moving but zero chance of that methinks tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nothing bar one single light shower of rain with a few pellets of graupel, West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Some nice looking streamers going to waste down the centre of the Irish Sea (sad face)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cold and dry
    Loving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Blanchardstown and castleknock in Dublin 15 got 2/3 cm. Blizzarding at about 1-2 am.

Didn't look good for a while but did intensify after midnight.

I’m near there and it was nowhere near blizzarding. Medium-to-heavy was the most intense it got. And obviously the wind wasn’t strong enough for those conditions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Cloud tops to our northwest have really warmed this afternoon so showery activity will be less pronounced from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Still a plenty of icy snow in the shade here to make a few snowballs although i wouldn't like to get one in the face.
    Some backroads round here are still very dodgy in spots and only gonna get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

High of only 4.2c at mine and back down to 2.4c already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Snowing again here - it snows - the sun comes out and it disappears. A beautiful day in the sunshine, full on wintry when it snows and sooo cold.

South Sligo
    90m asl

Advertisement