Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Supermarket Shopping-save today, pay tomorrow?

• 01-02-2018 10:59pm

I think in a few years time (maybe 5 or less)- online supermarket shopping will be the norm over travelling to do the weekly shop- i.e. greater number of people doing the main grocery shopping online v's trolley around the supermarket.

I'm moving to online shopping myself. Probably behind a lot of people in adopting to this method but ahead of most- but not for long.

I think the rise of Aldi and Lidl premises will have plateaued over the coming years and premises will be converted into viewing isles as opposed to shopping isles.

Shopping wars will come down to just a very few supermarket suppliers, and prices will ultimately rise as a result.

While we're waiting on this day, supermarkets are giving all sorts of discounts to encourage you to shop online.

So, how do you you do your weekly grocery shopping and what are you thinking of doing differently over the next year? Moving to online?

I'd never wish to buy meat/perishable goods without seen them first but happy to buy tinned/long-life goods online and get them delivered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

And everything will be delivered by drones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I go to the supermarket every 9-10 days and I wander up and down the aisles of Dunnes Stores and either Lidl or Aldi. I give about 2 hours for a grocery shop. Bulk of shop done in Dunnes, little bits picked up in Aldi (like passata) no lists I like wandering around and picking up what takes my fancy

I go to the supermarket every 9-10 days and I wander up and down the aisles of Dunnes Stores and either Lidl or Aldi. I give about 2 hours for a grocery shop. Bulk of shop done in Dunnes, little bits picked up in Aldi (like passata) no lists I like wandering around and picking up what takes my fancy

Sounds like you enjoy doing that (no offence or challenge intended) - any reason why you wouldn't choose to go online and do that or what would persuade you to go online and spend 2 hours doing similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sounds like you enjoy doing that (no offence or challenge intended) - any reason why you wouldn't choose to go online and do that or what would persuade you to go online and spend 2 hours doing similar?
    I want to see what I’m buying, I want to see what looks nice or tasty or what I’d like to try. I want to pick my own use by date, feel my bread, pick the nicest freshed looking veg. I want to see what’s on special. It’s a little ritual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Haven't had good experiences with it. Dented cans, nasty looking veg etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is this available in Leitrim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Screw online shopping, ain't nobody gonna squeeze my melons but me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ill use online food shopping if stuck for time. But i prefer to go in, see whats on offer or in season, stock, different brands, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Only despair is available in Leitrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Meat, Fruit and Veg, for me, have to be seen before buying, so not a potential online purchase. I like to select my own groceries and pick best before or use by dates that I'm happy with. If I'm going to town for the fresh produce I may as well get all the groceries while I'm there. I can be in and out of Dunne's in less than 20 minutes once a week. The butcher and greengrocers takes almost as long. It's no hardship to do the shopping, so I'll keep doing it in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

They don't have even shops or money in Leitrim. It's all done by barter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What's the "Save today, pay tomorrow" aspect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

I've been doing my shop online for a while now, was a Godsend for me. I imagine it is for many people in similar situations. I don't drive and used always walk to and from local store a couple of times a week, now I do a weekly shop and have it delivered to my door.

Fruit and veg is nearly always freshest according to sell by date and I have a ritual now where I sit down and write out my list during the week (online) and add to it as I remember things. I can have a cup of coffee while browsing, and all the special offers are as available as they are instore. Its good for my budget too because I have a weekly set amount and never go above it and saves on extra trips I'd otherwise have to take.

I dunno, I just like it, it's an enjoyable experience.

What's the "Save today, pay tomorrow" aspect?

Well, just thinking things out here. All supermarkets are encouraging us to sign up and buy online. Why? Because if they gain the online market today, they gain the whole market tomorrow- or at least in years to come- and that means monopoly and higher prices.

Amazon are a growing serious threat to traditional supermarkets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Waiting around for deliveries / couriers is the worst. Don't like the concept delivered food. Never get a takeaway delivered and wouldn't see the appeal of online grocery shopping.

Also when you are in the shop you can get the deals. I live on half price / reduced price stuff. Whatever they have reduced I'll have for dinner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And everything will be delivered by drones.
    Just because someone is on a less than minimum wage jobbridge scheme there's no need to insult them :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's in a sealed box and it's very unlikely to need replacing or servicing then you can get it anywhere.

Books, bricks , discs, brand-name long shelf life products...

But stuff with short shelf life and natural variations like fruit and veg , meat and dairy , YMMV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Supermarkets are losing money on pretty much every home delivery, I don't know why they are doing it...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3828648/Deliveries-hit-Big-Four-supermarkets-500m-lose-5-7-online-order.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live in a small town with a Tesco, Lidl, Aldi and supervalu all located near one another. There's no issue with parking, traffic, ques, etc.
    We generally do a big shop on a Friday and top up shops vary from week to week.
    We first of all like to be able to see our food, feel it, pick the best date.
    It's also nice being able to pick up little treats or new products that you see during your weekly shop.(I'm not talking mad money here).
    We generally end up with a small trolley at Tesco and bits from the other supermarkets.
    Some weeks weeks we might only get a handful of items at Lidl/Aldi and other weeks we'd get loads depending on there special offers.
    If we were to switch to online shopping and all the supermarkets did it.It would be very expensive for us going by delivery charges they charge.(Apart from when they charge €1 but that isn't to often).
    At this time I also find it easy to spot special offers in store rather than online.

I can't see us changing in the near future. I'd also say the same about my siblings households.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Always online. Saves time and parking and dealing with supermarket aisle dreamers and ditherers and clumsy/maniac trolley pilots.

Very rarely have I received any shortdated item and if I do they include a note that points the date and delivery person asks if you'd like to keep or return it. 4 days is the shortest time to use-by date. Because I have a plan for everything I buy, to be used up within one week, it's not a big worry for me.

As they say on the site, the send everything ''as fresh as you'd pick yourself'' (I know, they would say that) but it's been fine and it's all about the same if you look at it in person in that supermarket anyway.

They sent pressé instead of cordial one day. Both types come in identical bottles. That was about it :D

You get a 3 hour window for your delivery slot with Tesco. You don't have to wait all day and they deliver up to 10 or 11pm.

Amazon trialed a checkout free store in the US recently. You just get your groceries and walk straight out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

All my buying is impulse buying.

Advertisement