Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

Hi would anyone have an idea of when u could be called for an interview im in the 600s

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TopProspect

It depends on how other people do in the interviews. They are currently calling people forward that are in the low 300s for their interviews in July/August.it could be the end of 2018 or the start of the new year possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thomasefc3

Results due out early next week as per email from public appointments service.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

thomasefc3 wrote: »
    Results due out early next week as per email from public appointments service.

Did they not say a month in the interview?? Or did you email to ask them???

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy1507

Next week will be the fourth week from my interview so hopefully we will hear something back next week

Paddy1507 wrote: »
    Next week will be the fourth week from my interview so hopefully we will hear something back next week

It will only be 3weeks on Tuesday for me.. I’d love to hear sooner rather than later tho of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

Anybody else get sent an email with their result?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Just got my reuslts

Pip108 wrote: »
    Just got my reuslts

Is yours in your public message board or did you just get an email? I got an email. They normally have it on the message board

• Advertisement

Beefy13 wrote: »
    Anybody else get sent an email with their result?

Yes, but nothing in jobs message board??

Is yours in your public message board or did you just get an email? I got an email. They normally have it on the message board

I just got email. I’m confused too, as nothing in my message board on public jobs..

Yes, but nothing in jobs message board??

Ah ok! Well if a few of us have gotten emails that must be how they are doing it! Hope everybody happy with the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Santamaria1

Got an email today, I’ve passed the interview and made it to the next stage. Honestly thought I did terribly in the interview so hang in there people.

Pip108 wrote: »
    Just got my reuslts

Just an email nothing in message board...delighted with mine hope everyone is

Just got a message on my public jobs account now

• Advertisement

In on message board now...

Nice to see it there it’s certain now haha thought it was a cruel joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5 QueenC93

I can’t believe it. I thought it went so badly! Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TopProspect

They gave me 7 on directing others and you need 10 to pass. I passed all other sections. The process of application needs to be changed. At the end of the day its their loss. The whole system is sick. Corruption is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

They gave me 7 on directing others and you need 10 to pass. I passed all other sections. The process of application needs to be changed. At the end of the day its their loss. The whole system is sick. Corruption is an understatement.

Same as myself, a 7 for directing others, pass mark 10. It would be nice to get some feedback in addition to said scores. For instance, why was it deemed that I wasn't up to standard on this particular competency? Just something to work with so that one can improve and hopefully do better should another campaign come to light.

• Advertisement

Nice to see it there it’s certain now haha thought it was a cruel joke

Haha, i was the same..

QueenC93 wrote: »
    I can’t believe it. I thought it went so badly! Delighted

Same as myself, really thought it went terrible.. delighted with my result..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

At the end of the day its their loss. The whole system is sick. Corruption is an understatement.
    Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful, there will always be a next time. There's plenty of corruption in the world, not sure that this qualifies.

wexfjord wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful, there will always be a next time. There's plenty of corruption in the world, not sure that this qualifies.

I would agree.. I don’t think it could have been fairer.. a very long drawn out process, yes but corrupt, I don’t think so....

Same as myself, really thought it went terrible.. delighted with my result..

Best feeling! How are you feeling for everything else? Think it should be fine?

QueenC93 wrote: »
    Best feeling! How are you feeling for everything else? Think it should be fine?

God no, the worst is still to come for me.. the shuttles.. im practicing so hopefully we will have a bit of time.. prob a month for medicals and another til physical.. so I’m reckoning first week in September maybe for it?? And all going well training in October maybe? What do you think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

I would agree.. I don’t think it could have been fairer.. a very long drawn out process, yes but corrupt, I don’t think so....

The corruption doesn’t start till you get in there.

God no, the worst is still to come for me.. the shuttles.. im practicing so hopefully we will have a bit of time.. prob a month for medicals and another til physical.. so I’m reckoning first week in September maybe for it?? And all going well training in October maybe? What do you think??
    I’m hoping it won’t be too bad! Hard training with my PT from here on out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well done to all that got through and sorry to hear of those who didn't.

If it's something you are interested in then do it again at least you know now what is needed to get through.

Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eammond

Hey guys, as regards vetting, do you get called into your local garda station to meet with super/ sergeant?

• Advertisement

I see it says on the email that they will be getting references, will they let us know before they do this.. I haven’t told my current job I was applying for this and don’t want to really, until I know I have the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

Answering two questions.
    Firstly the vetting question vetting will be conducted by Gardai on behalf of IPS, your forms you filled out with all the details of you your mum,dad,aunts etc will be sent to the central vetting department in Thurles,for vetting and then all the required information will be sent back to IPS.
    Question two
    As far as I am aware they will ask you first if you have any objections to them seeking a reference from your current employer or any of the other reference contact details you have put on your application.
    Then they will send out paper work to these people to complete and return to the IPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eammond

Do you get called into your local station to talk with your super/sergeant? You do when you apply for the guards. Just wondering if it's the same for prison officer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    Answering two questions.
    Firstly the vetting question vetting will be conducted by Gardai on behalf of IPS, your forms you filled out with all the details of you your mum,dad,aunts etc will be sent to the central vetting department in Thurles,for vetting and then all the required information will be sent back to IPS.
    Question two
    As far as I am aware they will ask you first if you have any objections to them seeking a reference from your current employer or any of the other reference contact details you have put on your application.
    Then they will send out paper work to these people to complete and return to the IPS.
    Hi what paper work would they send out?

Is it true once you get past the interview you pretty much have the job. just have to pass the fitness test and wait to be called from the panel? Also can you move down the list if you do good in your interview?

Thanks in advance

You also have to complete a medical examination .

Not quite sure all the check for the medical but some of what it consists of is :

Hearing test
    BMI Check
    Lung Function test
    Eye Test

I've never seen one of the forms all I know is it would ask you referere questions like how long they have known you, their relationship to you and if they would recommend you for employment.
    If it's your employer as one the referees they would also ask how much sick time you have had certaified and uncertified and if there was any disciplinary matter you were subject to during your employment.

You also have to complete a medical examination .

Not quite sure all the check for the medical but some of what it consists of is :

Hearing test
    BMI Check
    Lung Function test
    Eye Test

I've never seen one of the forms all I know is it would ask you referere questions like how long they have known you, their relationship to you and if they would recommend you for employment.
    If it's your employer as one the referees they would also ask how much sick time you have had certaified and uncertified and if there was any disciplinary matter you were subject to during your employment.

Ok thanks for the help that's good to know im not to worried about the medical part i only had one awhile ago and passed

• Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

I got the email few days back that I was successful at stage 3 it says I can contact the IPS to learn more about the next stage are we better to wait for them to contact us ? I assume it won't be long until they contact us what you reckon?? Also just wondering when did we submit our reference I imagine in original application feels so long ago now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 1981rob

Hi everyone. I don’t know has this been asked but does anyone know if you need exact dates of birh for your aunts and uncles for stage 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

1981rob wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I don’t know has this been asked but does anyone know if you need exact dates of birh for your aunts and uncles for stage 3

Yes I imagine it's important so they can actually find the individual in the vetting system so they can actually check their background if you use other DOB could be others out their with same names etc also postcodes for EVERY address is very important so many people's clearance forms were rejected because of not having eircodes or postcodes

S00100668 wrote: »
    Yes I imagine it's important so they can actually find the individual in the vetting system so they can actually check their background if you use other DOB could be others out their with same names etc also postcodes for EVERY address is very important so many people's clearance forms were rejected because of not having eircodes or postcodes

gonna be a tough few weeks so tracking them down. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭po candidate

1981rob wrote: »

I didn't have an address for one uncle and a DOB for another and PAS said it was fine when they checked it. Tried everything I could to get it but no luck. Do your best to get all of the information and if you can't then explain to PAS on the day of your interview. They may ask you to write a note about it on the bottom or back of the form for when/if IPS ask. Not much more you can do.

For all who have passed stage 3 and are looking ahead to PCT and Training.
    Does anyone know when the next PCT and Medical date is?
    I think the next training class is due to start in late August.

For all who have passed stage 3 and are looking ahead to PCT and Training.
    Does anyone know when the next PCT and Medical date is?
    I think the next training class is due to start in late August.

No word on either at the moment, I ranked high after stage 3 so I expect to hear with the next couple of weeks but email said IPS will be in contact at the appropriate time. I'm assuming it'll be August sometime when medical happens and the pct a month or so later. I'd be surprised if anyone from this campaign is in the August class.

I didn't have an address for one uncle and a DOB for another and PAS said it was fine when they checked it. Tried everything I could to get it but no luck. Do your best to get all of the information and if you can't then explain to PAS on the day of your interview. They may ask you to right a note about it on the bottom or back of the form for when/if IPS ask. Not much more you can do.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Can anyone explain how the medical works?

Do you go to your own GP and then submit their report to IPS?

Does the candidate arrange eye test / hearing test and submit to IPS?

I am aware of the eyesight requirements but what else is checked?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SHANES1990

anybody knowhow many there taking on this time im in top 150 after the 3 stages what are my chances like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

SHANES1990 wrote: »
    anybody knowhow many there taking on this time im in top 150 after the 3 stages what are my chances like?

I believe they need at least that if not more due to retiring members and usual wastage.

It's a very slow process though as classes are small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Id say they will be recruiting for the next few years don't see it stopping like it did back in 2008.

They said in 2016 when the new campaign was launched ,that they intended to recruit 150 officers per year over 3 years.
    However there is over 1000 officers eligible for retirement between now and 2021,so it is very possible that there will be further campaigns ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement