Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Hi, I did my interview on the 19th....still waiting on results. By the looks of the results/placing so far there's no merit placing in the interview process. It's pass or fail and if you pass you get placed.

So is it first to pass the interview get higher on the list?

Is there any thought behind the placing?

I believe they are 100% taking 50 RPO FOR THIS autumn. So where does that leave the guy who eairlier said he placed 150 after stage 3

Thanks

#Godbless

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pension man

Hi did any one check out what pension u get when u retire

Hi did any one check out what pension u get when u retire

Hey,

I know a prison officer who is retired 4 weeks. He wanted to do 2 more years but they said no(he said it is because of the wage he was on and they could take on 2 new recuites for his wage) he's 60 and gets 32,000 a year now for the rest of his life. He can also get another job if he wishes.

Phillip k wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know what number there at now for interview s?

I was number 198. I pick the longest date away for my interview as to prepare for it. Was busy in work and social stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    I was number 198. I pick the longest date away for my interview as to prepare for it. Was busy in work and social stuff.
    Have you done your interview yet

• Advertisement

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    Have you done your interview yet

Yes last week

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

They are supposed to be doing more interviews I believe in either September or October but this is not confirmed.

Hey,

I know a prison officer who is retired 4 weeks. He wanted to do 2 more years but they said no(he said it is because of the wage he was on and they could take on 2 new recuites for his wage) he's 60 and gets 32,000 a year now for the rest of his life. He can also get another job if he wishes.

thanks for reply.I was on the first campaign.the way it works is when they contact u they will give u a 4 week window so u can put it off tell week I did that.don't worry about interview..u will fly it.have a chat with that person who retired and ash him what is the biggest problem the prison service is facing at the moment and how as a team can we fix it for safey of everyone left.do u know how many years he did?

Hi does any one think they will extend our working life beyond 60 cause I think its unfair u have to retire at 60 if u don't want to as the way u won't get state pension tell 68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi does any one think they will extend our working life beyond 60 cause I think its unfair u have to retire at 60 if u don't want to as the way u won't get state pension tell 68

Why anyone would want to retire at 68 is beyond me.....

It's getting ridiculous to be honest it will be 70 or more if they get their way.

One can retire and work elsewhere.

• Advertisement

60 is the compulsory retirement age in the prison service this is I would imagine because of the demands of the job.

thanks for reply.I was on the first campaign.the way it works is when they contact u they will give u a 4 week window so u can put it off tell week I did that.don't worry about interview..u will fly it.have a chat with that person who retired and ash him what is the biggest problem the prison service is facing at the moment and how as a team can we fix it for safey of everyone left.do u know how many years he did?

Hey Thanks,

I had my interview, i felt it went ok. He did over 30 years service. He felt a bit sour leaving as they wouldn't let him do 2 more years as he dedicated his whole life to the job(can see both point of views them wanting cheaper labour).

Did you make it trough the first campaign?

My opinion is-I would certainly hope not. Take your pension and get another job(part time:). Could be dead at 61 more to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    They are supposed to be doing more interviews I believe in either September or October but this is not confirmed.

Hi, so are there no more interviews taking place again until September or October?

I'm not sure I would say why not give public appointments services a call and ask them for some information they are the ones ultimately who do all the interviews so they will be the best people to give a definitive answer

Hey Thanks,

I had my interview, i felt it went ok. He did over 30 years service. He felt a bit sour leaving as they wouldn't let him do 2 more years as he dedicated his whole life to the job(can see both point of views them wanting cheaper labour).

Did you make it trough the first campaign?
    I did I start in Oct I slowed it down cause wasent sure I wanted it .I have a good job now and am 43 so just worried I have to start again cause pension is to small

My opinion is-I would certainly hope not. Take your pension and get another job(part time:). Could be dead at 61 more to life.

Yea but wouldent be so down beat like u.I plan to live as long as I can and when I am working hard in a job to be told at 60 go away and start again.I think that's very unfair if u are fit and able.some people nead more than a small pension to survive at 60.do u fancy looking for a part time job at 60 question 1 q 2 have u checked out at 60 when u retire what u will get and remember u will be taxed on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Gmanno1 wrote:

BS. He had to go cos he was sixty. He knew this. Anything else is bull.

wexfjord wrote: »
    BS. He had to go cos he was sixty. He knew this. Anything else is bull.

Yes he did know it. I said he wanted to do 2 more years but they wouldn't let him. Back in your troll box

Yea but wouldent be so down beat like u.I plan to live as long as I can and when I am working hard in a job to be told at 60 go away and start again.I think that's very unfair if u are fit and able.some people nead more than a small pension to survive at 60.do u fancy looking for a part time job at 60 question 1 q 2 have u checked out at 60 when u retire what u will get and remember u will be taxed on that?

Of course I plan to live as long as I can, but we have no control over that(Liam Miller for example).

At 60 they say thanks and hears your pension not "go away". The the plan would be your mortgage is paid and kids are grow and your pension is for you to enjoy your life.

Yes i wouldnt mind Getting a small casual job or hobbie with no pressure to just to keep busy.

• Advertisement

I did I start in Oct I slowed it down cause wasent sure I wanted it .I have a good job now and am 43 so just worried I have to start again cause pension is to small

I seen few people past 35 at the interviews. Couldn't understand why they had an interest in taking this job at that stage in there life. Money would be so bad, job is dealing with criminal and no real pension at the end of it. They'd have to buy back probably 10 years of an already small pension

Age is not an issue for the role of a prison officer.
    Mental strength is hugely important depending on what you are subjected to during your service and how you manage your stress is important.
    You may be lucky and encounter very little in terms of stuff you will see during your career.
    However on the other hand you may see stuff that will wear on you and you will never forget.
    Prisons are very unusual places for many different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

Done my interview last week does anyone know when results are out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭noker

I got my interview results two weeks after my interview.

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    Done my interview last week does anyone know when results are out. Thanks

This week pal. I was told wednesday

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    Age is not an issue for the role of a prison officer.
    Mental strength is hugely important depending on what you are subjected to during your service and how you manage your stress is important.
    You may be lucky and encounter very little in terms of stuff you will see during your career.
    However on the other hand you may see stuff that will wear on you and you will never forget.
    Prisons are very unusual places for many different reasons.

Yes agreed, i would think the people that have made it this far would have researched the role and what it asks.

My point is for anyone over 35 what do they get back from the role? Nothing. Bad pay, shift work, no pension, starting at the bottom.

Why at 40 would you want that?

What's the reward for them? Other then starting a new career and maybe the challenge of it

Not saying they can't do the job, they'd be more then able

Gmanno1 wrote:
    Yes he did know it. I said he wanted to do 2 more years but they wouldn't let him. Back in your troll box

I ain't trollin bae. You said that he asked to stay on and they said no cos it's cheaper to pay two recruits. That conversation never happened. Fact. I'm not picking on you, just pointing out that your friend is telling porkies or you misunderstood him. Either which way the retirement age is 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

Im am in my early 40s and want this job as ive been out of a real career for over 10 years to raise my family , there is very little decent paying jobs out there now without you having a degree or higher qualifications , needs must !!!

I ain't trollin bae. You said that he asked to stay on and they said no cos it's cheaper to pay two recruits. That conversation never happened. Fact. I'm not picking on you, just pointing out that your friend is telling porkies or you misunderstood him. Either which way the retirement age is 60.

Lad he knew he had to retire they were re-hiring retired officers on 6 month contracts to cover the work. He was pissed he didn't get the offer to keep working after 60 because the government allowed them to hirer new officers again. That's why he was pissed.

They can hire 2 recruits for 22000 he was on over double that. A conversation never happened you don't have to be a genius to work out why he didn't get the offer. Obviously you're a little slow to keep up

• Advertisement

Allo1976 wrote: »
    Im am in my early 40s and want this job as ive been out of a real career for over 10 years to raise my family , there is very little decent paying jobs out there now without you having a degree or higher qualifications , needs must !!!

Thats admirable, totally respect your honesty. I agree about the decent paying jobs and if you do get one with good pay there's no stability in it. Enjoy it and theres always promotions in these places.

Was just pointing out the ovbious, but everyone has there own path

Wish you success in it

Gmanno1 wrote:
    They can hire 2 recruits for 22000 he was on over double that. A conversation never happened you don't have to be a genius to work out why he didn't get the offer. Obviously you're a little slow to keep up

You're back tracking buddy. You told a lie and got called out on it. He didn't ask and they didn't offer. Reason: he's too damn old. IPS hired scabs on temporary contracts, they were all under sixty. This has nothing to do with your original statement. Kindest regards to you Mr Mitty.

You're back tracking buddy. You told a lie and got called out on it. He didn't ask and they didn't offer. Reason: he's too damn old. IPS hired scabs on temporary contracts, they were all under sixty. This has nothing to do with your original statement. Kindest regards to you Mr Mitty.

Show me where I lied?

He did ask, they said no.(2 years previous he seen his work colleges getting offered extended contracts)

You clearly haven't a clue and I'm obviously talking to a vegetable. so I'm going to leave it at that and stop wasting my own time

Hey,

If you're able to read and take in information clearly. You'll see it says "HE SAID IT WAS BECAUSE" not 'they said it was because'

Apology accepted veggie

Morning.does anyone know is your overtime and allowances taken into account when they are making up what pension u get example it u earn 60 k is that all personable or is it just salary of say that year 44?what sort of jobs would a retired 60 year get?what chance would u have over say a 35year old?cause I can't certainly retire at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jobgirl4

Hello, does anyone have any idea when the next recruit ment may take place? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Morning.does anyone know is your overtime and allowances taken into account when they are making up what pension u get example it u earn 60 k is that all personable or is it just salary of say that year 44?what sort of jobs would a retired 60 year get?what chance would u have over say a 35year old?cause I can't certainly retire at 60.

If you serve 30 years you get a full pension(around 30,000 to 35,000). You can buy back years if you're over 30 starting as you have to retire at 60. It wouldn't make sense to be buying back anything more then 5 years. I don't think money you get from shift and night work is taken into account. At the end of the day you are paying for your own pension so whatever goes in you'll get back

Theres plenty of jobs for retirees, more casual work wouldn't be career based not many 30 year olds would have interest in.

I suppose you'd be helping your kids start there career at stage aswell

So 32000 plus casual job plus helping your kids out. You'd be busy enough.

If you serve 30 years you get a full pension(around 30,000 to 35,000). You can buy back years if you're over 30 starting as you have to retire at 60. It wouldn't make sense to be buying back anything more then 5 years. I don't think money you get from shift and night work is taken into account. At the end of the day you are paying for your own pension so whatever goes in you'll get back

Theres plenty of jobs for retirees, more casual work wouldn't be career based not many 30 year olds would have interest in.

I suppose you'd be helping your kids start there career at stage aswell

So 32000 plus casual job plus helping your kids out. You'd be busy enough.

Also 32000 is the normal max of the pay scale, might jump up with allowances but not that much, Don't think we'll be getting near 60000

Assuming that pension is so important to you, you will have already started paying into a private fund, I believe this can be transferred to supplement your state pension (though you might be better to keep them seperate). Contrary to another post here, you do not build up a fund or pension pot, the payment of future pensions is at the whim and budgetary constraints of the government of the day so you do not necessarily get out what you put in, ideally you will however get more.

Your 16 odd years with IPS will net you a meagre pension, unfortunately for you and in spite of other posters here, there is no place for the over 60s in a prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

I would be retiring before im 60 anyway but never know what the future holds more to life

Assuming that pension is so important to you, you will have already started paying into a private fund, I believe this can be transferred to supplement your state pension (though you might be better to keep them seperate). Contrary to another post here, you do not build up a fund or pension pot, the payment of future pensions is at the whim and budgetary constraints of the government of the day so you do not necessarily get out what you put in, ideally you will however get more.

Your 16 odd years with IPS will net you a meagre pension, unfortunately for you and in spite of other posters here, there is no place for the over 60s in a prison.

You talk pure rubbish

• Advertisement

Phillip k wrote: »
    I would be retiring before im 60 anyway but never know what the future holds more to life

Here here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi i read somewhere on this before that you get more time off then say you would in most jobs is this true? Or can you just work up your hours?

Gmanno1 wrote:
    You talk pure rubbish

Thanks for your articulate input. Which bit would you care to correct me on or are you going to continue being abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi i read somewhere on this before that you get more time off then say you would in most jobs is this true? Or can you just work up your hours?

You don't really get more time off. But like you said, you can work up the hours. Mainly by swapping shifts with others.

Abbey127 wrote: »

No you get your annual leave and that's it. Believe theres alot of wasters in the job that call in sick and let the team down.

Abbey127 wrote:

Assuming you're on a roster, you work 7 days out of 14 ie half the year. After a short number of years you will have over 300 hours annual leave. Fair enough there's overtime but in answer to your question, you will have more time off than any other career bar teaching.

Assuming you're on a roster, you work 7 days out of 14 ie half the year. After a short number of years you will have over 300 hours annual leave. Fair enough there's overtime but in answer to your question, you will have more time off than any other career bar teaching.

Your doing 12 hour days and working nights..
    Where did you come up with half the year off?

If you've ever done night shift you'd understand it takes time to recover from it. And it's no holiday

This lad thinks it's a holiday camp, Gas man

Gmanno1 wrote:
    Your doing 12 hour days and working nights.. Where did you come up with half the year off?

Gmanno1 wrote:
    If you've ever done night shift you'd understand it takes time to recover from it. And it's no holiday

Gmanno1 wrote:
    This lad thinks it's a holiday camp, Gas man

As an established Prison Officer, I've a pretty good idea of what's involved. Won't be feeding this troll anymore. All the best with whatever career you end up in, I'm sure you'll be a valued team member.

Afternoon.people on this should not be peeing u off as u would know best as u are already their and I am sure u know buy some people on this tread has no chance of ever being good at this jib .they might fluke it and get in and people like u will have to babbysit them.so before u go in the next few years do u think they will up the retirement age beyond 60.thanks for reply before I get it

in the next few years do u think they will up the retirement age beyond 60.

The vast majority of people will have no business jailing beyond 60, I believe guards retire at 60, firefighters at 55. Experience and a cool head are of little use when it's kicking off. To this end, I think there would be little for IPS to gain by extending retirement age.

If you're happy where you are and the public sector pension is part of the lure, then I wouldn't bother unless you're very sure this job is for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement