Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

between 50 and 60 OOM dont wanna give exact number.

Great thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

I got the results for stage 3 5th july and got invitation for medical and audiogram six days later. The medical only took 15 mins in and out, height, weight quick listen to breathing then a quick eye vision test. The audio is just a standard audio test your put in the box with headphones and press the button whenever you hear the beep sound.

Thanks for that.

When are you starting training?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Precal 2018

Gmanno1 wrote:
    When are you starting training?

Gmanno1 wrote:
    Thanks for that.

no idea still waiting to be called for the PCT test. Hopefully sooner rather than later

Anybody any idea when the first class are starting training and also how many are they taking on in the first batch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭po candidate

Anybody any idea when the first class are starting training and also how many are they taking on in the first batch ?

I think the college can take 40 at a time(see that somewhere on
    Boards) Hard to say when next class is starting, 2016 thread seems to suggest Aug and Sept classed scrapped due to delay in vetting. I think there was a class also due for October. Still seems to be a few waiting from 2016 campaign so could be early 2019 before first batch of 2018 campaign start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aor04

Hey on the day we were in for aptitude test the prison officers that had the chat with us said that the first class of 2018 new recruits is starting Oct 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DuckHuntMadra

Hey everyone. Original plan was to have first 50 from 2018 start in autumn (October).

Source: Check media links at the bottom of IPS website. Second video.

Cant say anything else without it being conjecture.

I think the college can take 40 at a time(see that somewhere on Boards) Hard to say when next class is starting, 2016 thread seems to suggest Aug and Sept classed scrapped due to delay in vetting. I think there was a class also due for October. Still seems to be a few waiting from 2016 campaign so could be early 2019 before first batch of 2018 campaign start.

thats great thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

I was speaking to the cmo last week and she was under the impression that it would be at the earliest, very late this year or more likely early in the new year that anybody from the 2018 campaign would start training.. she said they were still processing 2016 candidates... hopefully she is wrong :)

Anyone from 2018 that have completed medical hear anything yet? I know we had until 31 Aug to submit everything but just curious if anyone has heard back from CMO or IPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

So with both Portlaoise College and Wheat field now open for the training of prison officers.
    What is the total number of places available for training is it 40 places in each traning area , or 40 places combined with both places?

Anyone from 2018 that have completed medical hear anything yet? I know we had until 31 Aug to submit everything but just curious if anyone has heard back from CMO or IPS

No buddy. Called to ask if they received all my stuff last week but I was advised that the CMO office would notify me/IPS if the were missing anything. That’s it.

Paddy 42 wrote:
    So with both Portlaoise College and Wheat field now open for the training of prison officers. What is the total number of places available for training is it 40 places in each traning area , or 40 places combined with both places?

I never knew Wheatfield held the training for Rectuit officers ? will there be accommodation there if were sent here instead of Portlaoise i wonder ?

As far as i am aware they have only recently started using it to train prison officers.
    Im not sure if there is on site accommodation like at Portlaoise, maybe some one who knows can clarify this?
    As posted by some one here they have a target to recruit 250 officers over the next 3 years.
    I asked the question if there are a total of 40 places between Portlaoise and wheatfield or is it 40 places in each?
    Reading posts on here it's seems as though they are very far from their target of training the number of officers they stated each year seems as if the vetting is is holding things up because it is taking so long.

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    As far as i am aware they have only recently started using it to train prison officers.
    Im not sure if there is on site accommodation like at Portlaoise, maybe some one who knows can clarify this?
    As posted by some one here they have a target to recruit 250 officers over the next 3 years.
    I asked the question if there are a total of 40 places between Portlaoise and wheatfield or is it 40 places in each?
    Reading posts on here it's seems as though they are very far from their target of training the number of officers they stated each year seems as if the vetting is is holding things up because it is taking so long.

As far as I know its 40 max who start in Portlaoise at anyone time. I read this on Boards so that could be wrong!

Training is for twelve weeks, it begins in IPS College in Portlaoise, which is live in Monday to Friday, this lasts for six weeks and then you move onto Wheafield for the last six weeks. This is not live in and you'll have to provide your own accommodation. As far as a know the intial training period used to be 12 weeks all in Portlaoise and now with six weeks of training moving to Wheatfield, it allows IPS to start a new class every six weeks.

I am almost sure that the class in June went ahead as for the classes seceduled for August and October know one has said if they will be going ahead.
    IPS are under pressure tho to get officers trained up as soon as possible to work on the landings as they are very short in numbers,
    So unless of something major happening I don't think either of these classes will be cancelled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

How long does it take to find out if you passed the interview stage i did mine on the 27th of July?

Phillip k wrote: »
    How long does it take to find out if you passed the interview stage i did mine on the 27th of July?

I got my results exactly two weeks later

Phillip k wrote: »

I done my interview 24th July and I got my results just over a week later on the 1st August

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how many prison officers have actually been taken on and trained since the launch of the campaign back in 2016?
    How many candidates from the 2016 are still awaiting the call for either Medical and PCT or to be called for training?
    I'm asking these questions because I assume that candidates from this campaign will all be called forward first before they start recruiting from the 2018 panel?
    Maybe some one who has been in contact with the IPS recently can give some accurate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Can anyone that is in the latest batch of people to be called for interview give a rough estimate of there OOM? Just trying to get an idea of what number they’re currently on :)

Can anyone tell me do they look for job references and call them before you start training. Would like to know as i have not told my employer i am going for this career yet. Any help be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone tell me do they look for job references and call them before you start training. Would like to know as i have not told my employer i am going for this career yet. Any help be greatly appreciated.

I assume references will be checked and one will be your current employer. I also assume and hope IPS will only check references after they offer you a job( subject to satisfactory references)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

I assume references will be checked and one will be your current employer. I also assume and hope IPS will only check references after they offer you a job( subject to satisfactory references)

I remember reading they will let you know when they will call your references: I can't remember who I put down. Anyone remember what form it was on?

Gmanno1 wrote:
    I remember reading they will let you know when they will call your references: I can't remember who I put down. Anyone remember what form it was on?

did it actually say to fill out your refereees on the form or just current and previous employers. I hope we get a choice to pick who we give as references and they dont just ring all your employers as myself and my last employer had a massive row before i left and i know he will not give me a good word.

• Advertisement

did it actually say to fill out your refereees on the form or just current and previous employers. I hope we get a choice to pick who we give as references and they dont just ring all your employers as myself and my last employer had a massive row before i left and i know he will not give me a good word.

It said current and past employers with addresses and phone numbers. I don’t remember imputing any specific reference information. I’m sure they will call if the need specific contact details for a reference. Have them ready just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SHANES1990

has anybody else passed the interview and still not gotten word from ips on medicals etc? i placed in top 100 so getting a bit worried iv been skipped lol

SHANES1990 wrote: »
    has anybody else passed the interview and still not gotten word from ips on medicals etc? i placed in top 100 so getting a bit worried iv been skipped lol

I would ring them ASAP! I’d say they have missed you by mistake..

Yea chase that up. The first batch should have received email from IPS back at start of July.

Yea chase that up. The first batch should have received email from IPS back at start of July.

How many do they call at a time from each batch do you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Jakeren7 wrote: »

I wouldnt worry to much about it. The closing date for those who passed their interview back a few months ago have upto the end of August to get results in. I was passed fit two weeks ago by the CMO just waiting for pct in September.

Pip108 wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry to much about it. The closing date for those who passed their interview back a few months ago have upto the end of August to get results in. I was passed fit two weeks ago by the CMO just waiting for pct in September.

Was it IPS that told you pct is September??

Was it IPS that told you pct is September??

No the CMO said that. Shes not 100 percent but that's what she said bases on previous recruitments

Just to clarify, by passed for you mean you had no issue with exams or were you contacted/did you call the CMO’s office?

Just to clarify, by passed for you mean you had no issue with exams or were you contacted/did you call the CMO’s office?

Once I compelted my interview i was told a few weeks later that i had being successful. A week letter i got an email with regards to medical. The only was the CMO will contact you is if they need to clarify anything from your medical. If they dont contact you it means they are happy with results from the medical.

Remeber that there is also a campaign running still from 2016, there has also being recruitment for the guards, army and fire sevice, all ran through the same organisation. Patience is key. Those who are top 40/50 will not be training till at least the new year by the looks of things.

Once I compelted my interview i was told a few weeks later that i had being successful. A week letter i got an email with regards to medical. The only was the CMO will contact you is if they need to clarify anything from your medical. If they dont contact you it means they are happy with results from the medical.

Remeber that there is also a campaign running still from 2016, there has also being recruitment for the guards, army and fire sevice, all ran through the same organisation. Patience is key. Those who are top 40/50 will not be training till at least the new year by the looks of things.

Thanks buddy. I submitted all my stuff around the same time as yourself and was concerned I should have received confirmation of a pass. Cheers man!

Thanks buddy. I submitted all my stuff around the same time as yourself and was concerned I should have received confirmation of a pass. Cheers man!
    No bother pal. Hopefully its a faster process than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Just to clarify guys...had you interviews in july 2018...? And was it the 2018 campaign?
    I have mine on in late july 2018... got word a week later i passed ...just waiting on contact from the ips with regards to medical and hearing test...

Stephenwrx wrote: »

Just to clarify guys...had you interviews in july 2018...? And was it the 2018 campaign?
    I have mine on in late july 2018... got word a week later i passed ...just waiting on contact from the ips with regards to medical and hearing test...

No i had mine the end of May

Stephenwrx wrote: »

June , was part of 2018 campaign.

• Advertisement

Jakeren7 wrote: »

It’s hard to know. After the first 178 (I think) which were called at once, it becomes a challenge to track.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

It’s hard to know. After the first 178 (I think) which were called at once, it becomes a challenge to track.

When had you your interview...,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Does anybody know what number there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanog3

They are currently on group 5 . The max they can recruit per class is about 30 . There is another class starting in august . Most likely the people from 2018 campaign will be called in the new year . They are still finishing off the 2016 campaign.

So what does this mean then (group 5) is group 5 the last of the 2016 candidates ?and group 6 will be start of 2018 panel candidates? I don't know if it's just idol gossip but someone said that they start a class at wheatfield at the same time then after the first 6 weeks they rotate the classes. With Portlaoise Candidates going to wheatfield for next 6 weeks and wheatfield to Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanog3

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    So what does this mean then (group 5) is group 5 the last of the 2016 candidates ?and group 6 will be start of 2018 panel candidates? I don't know if it's just idol gossip but someone said that they start a class at wheatfield at the same time then after the first 6 weeks they rotate the classes. With Portlaoise Candidates going to wheatfield for next 6 weeks and wheatfield to Portlaoise.
    Ya that is right 6 weeks in portlaoise and when you go to do the next 6 weeks in wheatfield another group starts in portloaise

Were you part of the 2016 panel or 2018 panel? Have you completed your training or are you still waiting to be called ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

seanog3 wrote: »
    They are currently on group 5 . The max they can recruit per class is about 30 . There is another class starting in august . Most likely the people from 2018 campaign will be called in the new year . They are still finishing off the 2016 campaign.

What numbers are in group 5? As im waiting to be called for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

I attended interview in the 2nd batch to be called from 2018 , interviews were held weeks of 16/23 July , I heard outcome exactly 1 week later but still waiting to be called for medical etc , anyone from this batch called for medical yet as I know first batch that went for interview were called for medical 6 days after hearing outcome of interview ?

• Advertisement

Allo1976 wrote: »
    I attended interview in the 2nd batch to be called from 2018 , interviews were held weeks of 16/23 July , I heard outcome exactly 1 week later but still waiting to be called for medical etc , anyone from this batch called for medical yet as I know first batch that went for interview were called for medical 6 days after hearing outcome of interview ?

I’m in same batch as you haven’t heard anything

Advertisement