Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Allo1976 wrote: »
    I attended interview in the 2nd batch to be called from 2018 , interviews were held weeks of 16/23 July , I heard outcome exactly 1 week later but still waiting to be called for medical etc , anyone from this batch called for medical yet as I know first batch that went for interview were called for medical 6 days after hearing outcome of interview ?

Me 2 haven't heard any thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DuckHuntMadra

I’m under absolutely no illusion but an incredibly important point none the less.There was an assault on 2/3 officers at Cloverhill court also, was in the news. Here’s hoping the officers make a swift recovery. Physically and mentally.

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    Me 2 haven't heard any thing

Its probably understood but just in case, please keep an eye on ALL your folders in mail including Junk/Spam etc. You will receive your communication from the IPS , nothing from publicjobs, so no texts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 1981rob

Hi lads. I was in the 2nd batch of interview late July. Is the OOM combined for all 2018 applicants or is for Just that batch of applicants? I’m
    Waiting to hear about fitness test etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

I'm guessing that the OOM is a combination of candidates who were successful from both June and July's (2018 panel) round of interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SHANES1990

hey guys, yeah i rang and the had just forgotten to send me the medicals email after the interview! lucky i rang them!
    medicals booked for the week ahead, we dont have to pay for doctor report its just the hearing test we pay for is that right?
    also do we send in the paperwork / test results or do the docters? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

I attended interview in the 2nd batch to be called from 2018 , interviews were held weeks of 16/23 July , I heard outcome exactly 1 week later but still waiting to be called for medical etc , anyone from this batch called for medical yet as I know first batch that went for interview were called for medical 6 days after hearing outcome of interview ?
    Im in the same boat as you ... heard of people getting notification of medicals and hearing test less than 10 working days after the ok from the interview, no proof though!

SHANES1990 wrote: »
    hey guys, yeah i rang and the had just forgotten to send me the medicals email after the interview! lucky i rang them!
    medicals booked for the week ahead, we dont have to pay for doctor report its just the hearing test we pay for is that right?
    also do we send in the paperwork / test results or do the docters? cheers
    Who did you ring? The ips in longford is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 1981rob

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Who did you ring? The ips in longford is it?

I rang this morning and a lady said we won’t hear till the end of September for the batch we were in. She said they are getting though the other group first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Handyman90

Has anyone heard back yet from the second batch who passed their interview with medical dates???

When was your interview? Were you in the 2018 campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Handyman90

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    When was your interview? Were you in the 2018 campaign

I done mine on 16th July, got my results 1st of August haven't heard anything since.Have you gotten word? When did you do yours?

Handyman90 wrote: »
    I done mine on 16th July, got my results 1st of August haven't heard anything since.Have you gotten word? When did you do yours?
    I did my interview on july 24th ithink and got word i passed on the first

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pension man

I see we get 160 a/L.Its about 20 days.Its not a lot.Does any one no do we get days off for our public holidays or what way does that work?I hope its time off.

I see we get 160 a/L.Its about 20 days.Its not a lot.Does any one no do we get days off for our public holidays or what way does that work?I hope its time off.

Hey Pensionman, from the job description:

“Prison Officers will be required to work a basic 2,035 hours per year based on an average roster of 39 hours a week, and will be required to work shifts including night duties, every second weekend, some public holidays and over festive seasons.”

Essentially it’s a 7 day per week liability.It will depend on your roster but you will be working some PH including potentially Christmas Day, these all attract premium payments though. Best get comfortable with that before you join. Chiefs told us after stage 2 that they were done 12 months in advance so you can plan your year accordingly

Thanks for quick reply I'm working now in a job I get 250 A/L.I don't under stand why only 160 for prison job.do u get time in lieu for pubic holidays?do u know.I work now in HSE.seems impossible their is that much of a difference but I do know public hoilday hours are included in that a/L.thanks for reply before in advance

Thanks for quick reply I'm working now in a job I get 250 A/L.I don't under stand why only 160 for prison job.do u get time in lieu for pubic holidays?do u know.I work now in HSE.seems impossible their is that much of a difference but I do know public hoilday hours are included in that a/L.thanks for reply before in advance

PM’d

It’s also worth noting that less annual leave does not equate to fewer days off as you will have 7 days off every 2 weeks depending on which Additional hours band you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

I sent In medical and audiogram for stage 4 anyone heard back from the cmo? In regard the date of fitness tests

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

I have a very stupid worry about getting into the prison service,
    I hate the smell of smoke and been around and im very health conscious am i mad for considering this role ?i obviously know im going to be surrounded with cigarette smoke marijuana etc,it sounds stupid but i dont want to be inhaling second hand smoke for 12 hours a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    I have a very stupid worry about getting into the prison service,
    I hate the smell of smoke and been around and im very health conscious am i mad for considering this role ?i obviously know im going to be surrounded with cigarette smoke marijuana etc,it sounds stupid but i dont want to be inhaling second hand smoke for 12 hours a day

there will be bad smells of smoke and weed in parts of each prison yes

but its not everywhere i think you are overthinking it

akelly02 wrote: »
    there will be bad smells of smoke and weed in parts of each prison yes

but its not everywhere i think you are overthinking it
    does anyone know how public holidays work.do we get paid for them or do we get a days of 4 them or do we have a choice.

Public holidays.do we get time off for them or if not what do we get if anything

Public holidays.do we get time off for them or if not what do we get if anything

Of course you get paid for them. Same as any company you work for.

but at the end of the day if your down to work that's it.

Depends on your contract.

Suppose It might be double, plus unsocialble hours and so on.

Ring IPS if you wanna know exact details

For the pre employment medical screening checks and hearing test .
    Is there a choice of approved Doctors to choose from spread out geographically across the country, or will some candidates have to travel a long distance for a medical assessment depending on your location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    For the pre employment medical screening checks and hearing test .
    Is there a choice of approved Doctors to choose from spread out geographically across the country, or will some candidates have to travel a long distance for a medical assessment depending on your location?

The list has one in most major counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Precal 2018

Guys does anybody know what phone no. to ring if you have any general questions or queries to ask about the process and the job etc. ? I'm not sure if ive to ring the college number or a different one.

Guys does anybody know what phone no. to ring if you have any general questions or queries to ask about the process and the job etc. ? I'm not sure if ive to ring the college number or a different one.
    As far as i know its the longford number... google irish prison service longford

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Precal 2018

Stephenwrx wrote:
    As far as i know its the longford number... google irish prison service longford

Thanks a million

• Advertisement

Hi All
    Need some advice as I’m in a strange position/ predicament,My partner was due a baby on the 17th of August but has in fact only been admitted into hospital this evening with her to be induced tomorrow,My interview is Thursday and with not knowing when the baby will arrive what should I do ? If I cancel my interview am I out of the running ? Is there more interviews scheduled for this year ? My head is melted with this as I want this job so bad now.When I got my interview I rang pas and told them her due date etc and they said put it out until the latest available date which I did and then she doesn’t go into labour any ideas how this will affect my application if I cancel the interview ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not too sure about actual interviews Sean but a new guy who started in my job was literally in the door a week when his partner went into labour. They were very helpful and understanding in our prison with affording him time off but that could just be a local governor making that call. I don't know how this relates to your predicament but certainly on the ground in our place there was a very human approach. Perhaps that carries across. Hopefully so.

Best of luck with the interview and the new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

Hi. Just wondering if anybody received confirmation from CMO that their medical forms and audiogram results had been received? I’m not sure if they acknowledge if they got them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Beefy13 wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if anybody received confirmation from CMO that their medical forms and audiogram results had been received? I’m not sure if they acknowledge if they got them or not.
    You wont hear anything unless there is an issue or something needs to be rechecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MCBRENNAN

Hi Just wondering if anyone knows when the candidates that passed in the 450's would be called ?

MCBRENNAN wrote: »
    Hi Just wondering if anyone knows when the candidates that passed in the 450's would be called ?

I'd ring them pal, I think there was only 160 jobs and they were filled. Ring ISP in Waterford tomorrow or better would be to ring public service appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

You obviously don't have your facts straight !!

I've just read back on some of the posts on here by candidates and it seems like vetting is one of the major topics of conversation.
    Some candidates saying they have been waiting as far back as February to be cleared.
    I've seen a parliamentary question from a candidates constituency TD to the minister for justice outlining the delay in vetting and asking the minister for a statement on the matter.
    So it is obvious that there is problems with how long the process is taking.

You obviously don't have your facts straight !!

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/prison-officers-3848207-Feb2018/%3famp=1

Take it up with them, actually says 120 jobs per year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

Hi does anyone still have to do there interview. Anyone know what number there on at moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

Hi. Just wondering if an existing officer could explain how the additional hours work. I know there are different bands up to 360 hours per year, but would you actually work that much overtime and do you get to pick which band you want? Also can you pick what days you work your additional hours? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Borrow

Phillip k wrote: »
    Hi does anyone still have to do there interview. Anyone know what number there on at moment?
    hi im waiting on interview.
    score was 500s
    hopefully called soon

Borrow wrote: »
    hi im waiting on interview.
    score was 500s
    hopefully called soon

I was in 300 s and was suppose to have my interview last week but couldn’t attend as my partner was in labour I was in constant conversation with the Pas and they said I would be be on the rescheduled list and they said looking at interview in November or the New Year but couldn’t guarantee me when it would be
    I’m going to ring again tomorrow and see what the story is so you may be called in November also

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Borrow

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    I was in 300 s and was suppose to have my interview last week but couldn’t attend as my partner was in labour I was in constant conversation with the Pas and they said I would be be on the rescheduled list and they said looking at interview in November or the New Year but couldn’t guarantee me when it would be
    I’m going to ring again tomorrow and see what the story is so you may be called in November also

Thanks for the feedback
    Failed interview last year by a very narrow margin.hopefully goes better this time

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CeeCeeMack

Hi All, as the date for the medical and audiography submissions has passed, when do you think we will hear back from them? I found out I have slight hearing loss (minor to the point I never noticed and neither did any of my family) so I'm quite anxious to see if that will be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

Im in 2nd batch patiently waiting to be called for medical and hearing test , things have really slowed down 😬😬😬

Allegedly it will be end of September before candidates who had their interviews in July will receive their documents to have their medical and hearing test.I would therefore assume that it will be at the earliest January 2019 before any one from this group receive a starting date basing my theory on the average length of time it's taking for vetting (6 months)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

CeeCeeMack wrote: »
    Hi All, as the date for the medical and audiography submissions has passed, when do you think we will hear back from them? I found out I have slight hearing loss (minor to the point I never noticed and neither did any of my family) so I'm quite anxious to see if that will be an issue

Hi I don't think so unless you are deaf in one ear . Iv heard prison officers have loss of hearing after years in the job as it can be very loud. And you use a walkie talkie while in there .

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Looking at the 2016 thread people have being called for the October intake so for those in the top 40 or so in 2018 campaign its looks like mid November or January for us. Depending on how many is left from 2016!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Who are running this courses and making the money off them?

Has anyone an idea at what stage of the process will references and employment records checked?
    The only reason I'm asking is it would be nice to be able to give plenty of notice,but not month's and month's either!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement