Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

It's a horrible wait guys, I really hope ye get the good news in the coming days!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Nobody from this camping will be call till late this year ealry next year so theres no panic on getting your pct done. Everyone who has passed the interview will be called. No need to panic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CeeCeeMack

Pip108 wrote: »
    Nobody from this camping will be call till late this year ealry next year so theres no panic on getting your pct done. Everyone who has passed the interview will be called. No need to panic at all.

The panic is more me waiting to hear if my hearing will be a problem. If I found out that it wouldn't be, I'd be fine waiting on a date for PCT. Annoyingly I thought the medical wouldn't be an issue at all. Typical...

CeeCeeMack wrote: »

The panic is more me waiting to hear if my hearing will be a problem. If I found out that it wouldn't be, I'd be fine waiting on a date for PCT. Annoyingly I thought the medical wouldn't be an issue at all. Typical...
    No news is good news, i was contacted by the cmo regarding blood pressure and was brought in for further testing. Never heard anything after that and was called for pct early October

I'd be inclined to agree, if you failed any part of the medical I'm sure they would have the courtesy to inform you that you're no longer in the running.

That is what I'm thinking because they did contact me quite quickly about my laser eye surgery. Feel a bit better thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DuckHuntMadra

I agree with above with 2018 class being Jan. Unlikely to be a December class, I’d imagine the college closes over the holiday? Vetting began in first week of July which would leave us with at least Jan given the 6 month timeframe.

I agree with above with 2018 class being Jan. Unlikely to be a December class, I’d imagine the college closes over the holiday? Vetting began in first week of July which would leave us with at least Jan given the 6 month timeframe.

So vetting has already started? Does anyone know what the story is with family abroad? My entire extended family live abroad. No issues, I'm just curious to see.

So vetting has already started? Does anyone know what the story is with family abroad? My entire extended family live abroad. No issues, I'm just curious to see.

It should have been mentioned when you received your invitation to medical. A few paragraphs in. Whether it begins at that point is unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to when vetting starts.
    Is it straight away when your file goes to IPS ?
    Or is it not until you have sent back your medical forms and after you have done your PCT ?

• Advertisement

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of confusion as to when vetting starts.
    Is it straight away when your file goes to IPS ?
    Or is it not until you have sent back your medical forms and after you have done your PCT ?

When you receive your invitation to medical your clearance begins also. That’s all I can gather based on the email from the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bmrhcp

Hey guys anybody got any idea what OOM number they're up to when contacting people about the medical? I was between 150-200 but haven't heard anything yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

Im early 100s still nothing about medical , then add 6 months of clearance ,

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

That is what I'm thinking because they did contact me quite quickly about my laser eye surgery. Feel a bit better thanks guys!

Was there an issue with the laser eye surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

Today's Irish Times carries a frightening expose on the problems of gangs in Mountjoy. Makes for sobering reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have a look at the documentary on tv3 or what is virgin now. Was on last night and few different ones to come.

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Was there an issue with the laser eye surgery?

No issue at all. Just wanted to confirm what type I'd gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

You know when you have your medical? Are you given a form for you gp to fill out? Or does your doctor have to send on your whole medical file?

User2206 wrote: »
    You know when you have your medical? Are you given a form for you gp to fill out? Or does your doctor have to send on your whole medical file?

It can't be your own doctor that does the test. It has to be one on their list.

• Advertisement

Aw okay, well that makes sense! :) I was just wondering do they request any of your medical background from your own doctor aswell?

Aw okay, well that makes sense! :) I was just wondering do they request any of your medical background from your own doctor aswell?

That they will.

Anybody know on the day of the pct do you arrive ready to do the fitness test or arrive in your smart casuals?

Anybody know on the day of the pct do you arrive ready to do the fitness test or arrive in your smart casuals?

Tracksuit

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Borrow

Just rang pas
    I scored in 500s on oom and won't be called untill next year for interview

Borrow wrote: »
    Just rang pas
    I scored in 500s on oom and won't be called untill next year for interview

That’s interesting! Did they mention if there will be anymore interviews being held his year for people with OOM under 500 or will everyone still waiting on interview be called next year? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

That’s interesting! Did they mention if there will be anymore interviews being held his year for people with OOM under 500 or will everyone still waiting on interview be called next year? :)

after seeing the message above i contacted pas this morning i was in low 300s but had to reschedule my interview and i was told i will be called in either November/December

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    after seeing the message above i contacted pas this morning i was in low 300s but had to reschedule my interview and i was told i will be called in either November/December

Okay, I’m in the 370’s so hopefully I’ll be called in the same batch as yourself :) I’m afraid to ring them haha

Has anyone been on to the IPS or have any updates regarding the medical for the July interview candidates?
    They said they were sending them out towards the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Wondering that myself...I might ring tomorrow to see can anyone shed any light.I'll post if i get any news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Precal 2018

Guys, has anybody any idea how much notice the IPS let you give to your current job to tell them your leaving and will they allow you tell your employer your changing career before they go ringing for a reference ? feel bad keeping it from my employer but have to look out for myself

• Advertisement

Time frame for this campaign is very in consistent.June candidates had notification from the IPS 6 days after passing interview to go and book a medical and hearing test.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

Does anyone know the uniform restrictions regarding hair and facial hair?
    Just curious and can't seem to find any information about it

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

I would think it's the same as the army or garda. Clean and sharp looking, as you'd be setting an example for the prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    I would think it's the same as the army or garda. Clean and sharp looking, as you'd be setting an example for the prisoners.

That's what I'd imagine, just wondering if it's in writing anywhere.

Was in contact with IPS and there is a scheduled class to commence on the 3rd of December.

Thanks for that Pip108, any indication as to how many will be taken in a class?

Dien wrote: »
    Thanks for that Pip108, any indication as to how many will be taken in a class?
    Not sure how many they can take at a time, i think i heard before 30-40 but not 100 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eammond

Guys in regards to the physical, is the 40x15 metre part a beep test? Or is 40x15 metres without it? It says we have 3 minutes 30 seconds to complete, which means that we will be doing 40 sprints. Just want to know before I go, any help appreciated

It's similar to the beep test, just without the beep! Which basically means it's up to you how fast you start off etc. It absolutely is not a sprint, you have over 4 seconds to cover each 15 metre run which is very manageable with a basic level of fitness. If you are worried about it just practice it before your date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eammond

It's actually 5 seconds, there's 40 runs over 210 seconds so just over 5 seconds. It also says about running forward and back between the 2 cones, is it actually running backwards or is it running to the cone and turning around? Thanks very much for the reply

• Advertisement

It's running to the cone and turning around. A nice steady pace and you'll be grand!

Think clarification is needed re: toe to line or circulating a cone ,big difference

Allo1976 wrote: »
    Think clarification is needed re: toe to line or circulating a cone ,big difference

Very true

I think the people who are finished clearance first will be first in college(can take 3,6,or 9months).so obviously get the medical and fitness test done. But I think it's first cleared first in.

Best of luck to all you doing the PCT tomorrow , would appreciate any info you can share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Allo1976 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all you doing the PCT tomorrow , would appreciate any info you can share.

Hey, Thanks. Im from the 2016 campaign. I'm dreading it...... I actually only got to practice the run about 2 times... Im really annoyed with myself that I couldnt practice more but lately ive been working 80 hour weeks and lots of 15 hour days... I work in the HSE so as you can imagine the health service at the moment so that explains the hours...

In practice ive done just over half the run at a time in practice... I done 22/40 runs in 1m 28s.

I just hope I wont make a fool of myself and finish regardless of the time.... I really will give my all anyway.... If I could have practised more I would have but starting at 8am and finishing at 11pm it just wasnt possible for me..

I suppose I can only do my best and if I fail badly I will have some time to practice before the next PCT.

Anybody who has done the pct know what time roughly it will finis up at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

You can't grow a beard but if you already have one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey, Thanks. Im from the 2016 campaign. I'm dreading it...... I actually only got to practice the run about 2 times... Im really annoyed with myself that I couldnt practice more but lately ive been working 80 hour weeks and lots of 15 hour days... I work in the HSE so as you can imagine the health service at the moment so that explains the hours...

In practice ive done just over half the run at a time in practice... I done 22/40 runs in 1m 28s.

I just hope I wont make a fool of myself and finish regardless of the time.... I really will give my all anyway.... If I could have practised more I would have but starting at 8am and finishing at 11pm it just wasnt possible for me..

I suppose I can only do my best and if I fail badly I will have some time to practice before the next PCT.

Passed my PCT :-)

• Advertisement

Well done Tommy! Great to have everyone pass on the day, was a long drawn out affair but it was an interesting day too.

Advertisement