Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IceOnMeKnee

Gmanno1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feed back,

What about treats to your family, I'm sure it's full of lads that "know where you live"? Anything ever happen on that end to a prison officer

I heard two officers got slashed few weeks back in mountjoy

They all carry that threat..when they are closed in behind the door..

The two officers, it happens and its not the officers fault.. The spineless pricks at the top of the totem pole are more responsible for this than the staff..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Is there anybody else waiting to hear about a medical?

I’m still waiting done interview in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Can any single person pm me what what pay is in training and after training roughly?

It's just I know there can be a big difference between been single and married with regards tax credits...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stephenwrx

Is a cover letter or anything to reference the prison service needed when sending the audiograhm and medical to the CMO??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

Is it not the audiologist who sends off the results of the hearing test to the CMO and like wise the medical results sent off by the GP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

Anybody due to get a contract after the physicals get the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    Is it not the audiologist who sends off the results of the hearing test to the CMO and like wise the medical results sent off by the GP ?

No you send in the results

Stephenwrx wrote: »
    Is a cover letter or anything to reference the prison service needed when sending the audiograhm and medical to the CMO??

Nothing needed just you results.

Unless there us something you think needs clerifcation on it

Can any single person pm me what what pay is in training and after training roughly?

It's just I know there can be a big difference between been single and married with regards tax credits...

8. PAY AND ALLOWANCES

Salary
    As of 1 January 2018 the following salary scale applies to Recruit Prison Officers:

PPC €28,690.00 €30,113.00 €32,941.00
    NORMAL MAX

A different pay scale may apply if the individual has previously worked in the Public Service.

Entry will be at the minimum point of the scale.

Work on Saturday, Sunday, public holidays and nights attract premium payments. Recruit Prison Officers will also receive other allowances e.g. Operational Allowance (8% of annual salary). The allocation of up to 360 additional hours will attract further premium payments.

The Additional Hours System provides for extra attendance by staff. It involves the allocation of up to 360 hours maximum per person per annum. (Under this system a lower number of hours may be allocated, i.e. 240 hours, 112 hours, or nil hours.)

The rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government policy.

Superannuation and Retirement
    The successful candidate will be offered the appropriate superannuation terms and conditions as prevailing in the Civil Service at the time of being offered an appointment. In general, an appointee who has never worked in the Public Service will be offered appointment based on membership of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme (“Single Scheme”). Full details of the Scheme are at http://www.per.gov.ie/pensions

Where the appointee has worked in a pensionable (non-single scheme terms) public service job in the 26 weeks prior to appointment or is currently on a career break or special leave with/without pay different terms may apply. The pension entitlement of such appointees will be established in the context of their public service employment history.

Key provisions attaching to membership of the Single Scheme are as follows:

Pensionable Age
    The Scheme’s minimum pension age is 66 years, rising in line with increases in the State Pension (Contributory) qualifying age to 67 years in 2021 and 68 years in 2028.
    For Prison Officers who are members of the Single Scheme, the minimum pension age is 55 years.

Retirement Age
    Scheme members must retire at the age of 70.
    However earlier compulsory retirement ages may apply to certain occupations, and in the case of Prison Officers, retirement on reaching age 60 years is compulsory.
    As mentioned above, the career progression of a RPO is to the grade of Prison Officer. The Prison Officer grade has a maximum retirement age of 60 and may retire from age 55 with immediate payment of pension.

Paddy 42 wrote: »

Both the audiologists and the doctor handed me back the reports to send off. Might just differ from place to place

• Advertisement

8. PAY AND ALLOWANCES

Salary
    As of 1 January 2018 the following salary scale applies to Recruit Prison Officers:

PPC €28,690.00 €30,113.00 €32,941.00
    NORMAL MAX

A different pay scale may apply if the individual has previously worked in the Public Service.

Entry will be at the minimum point of the scale.

Work on Saturday, Sunday, public holidays and nights attract premium payments. Recruit Prison Officers will also receive other allowances e.g. Operational Allowance (8% of annual salary). The allocation of up to 360 additional hours will attract further premium payments.

The Additional Hours System provides for extra attendance by staff. It involves the allocation of up to 360 hours maximum per person per annum. (Under this system a lower number of hours may be allocated, i.e. 240 hours, 112 hours, or nil hours.)

The rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government policy.

Superannuation and Retirement
    The successful candidate will be offered the appropriate superannuation terms and conditions as prevailing in the Civil Service at the time of being offered an appointment. In general, an appointee who has never worked in the Public Service will be offered appointment based on membership of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme (“Single Scheme”). Full details of the Scheme are at http://www.per.gov.ie/pensions

Where the appointee has worked in a pensionable (non-single scheme terms) public service job in the 26 weeks prior to appointment or is currently on a career break or special leave with/without pay different terms may apply. The pension entitlement of such appointees will be established in the context of their public service employment history.

Key provisions attaching to membership of the Single Scheme are as follows:

Pensionable Age
    The Scheme’s minimum pension age is 66 years, rising in line with increases in the State Pension (Contributory) qualifying age to 67 years in 2021 and 68 years in 2028.
    For Prison Officers who are members of the Single Scheme, the minimum pension age is 55 years.

Retirement Age
    Scheme members must retire at the age of 70.
    However earlier compulsory retirement ages may apply to certain occupations, and in the case of Prison Officers, retirement on reaching age 60 years is compulsory.
    As mentioned above, the career progression of a RPO is to the grade of Prison Officer. The Prison Officer grade has a maximum retirement age of 60 and may retire from age 55 with immediate payment of pension.

It's around €24000( not including OT, or any other allowances)

If you and your wife earn €69,000 before tax anything over that amount will be taxed at 40%

Any body know when the next PCT test is November or December?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

Paddy 42 wrote:
    Any body know when the next PCT test is November or December?

Nov 8th,Dec 6th

Just out of curiosity.
    This Question was posted before but I can't see any definitive answer to it so I'll ask it again.
    When are references checked?
    During security clearance or after security clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Has anyone that is still waiting on their interview been onto PAS lately in regards to when the next batch of interviews are taken place?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

I’m low 200’s on OOM but still haven’t got date for medical. Anyone else waiting?

I’m low 200’s on OOM but still haven’t got date for medical. Anyone else waiting?

I'm below 150 in the oom and haven't got anything yet, think the next fitness test is December 6th. So hopfully the next few weeks.

Are you doing sprint training? Or what sort of training are you doing?

I'm below 150 in the oom and haven't got anything yet, think the next fitness test is December 6th. So hopfully the next few weeks.

Are you doing sprint training? Or what sort of training are you doing?

Have you not got your medical either? Please god in the next few weeks.

Doing a bit of sprint training, mainly just trying to do the 600 meters in under 3 mins. I know it will be 15 meter dashes but I know a lad who’s in the college at the moment and he done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CeeCeeMack

I'm wondering if those who are doing the PCT next week will be on track to start in the January class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

It's all down to when your clearance comes through CeeCeeMack. If you've passed the PCT, and your clearance has also been passed, you'll get an offer for the next starting class that has a vacancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Anyone know when the next round of interviews is?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭po candidate

Anyone from June 2018 interviews get an offer? I interviewed in June and have everything else done, waiting on clearance! Have decent sized family, all live in Ireland. I've only had two addresses, both in Ireland. I've no convictions or anything.

Has anyone heard any issues/refusals with vetting?

Have you not got your medical either? Please god in the next few weeks.

Doing a bit of sprint training, mainly just trying to do the 600 meters in under 3 mins. I know it will be 15 meter dashes but I know a lad who’s in the college at the moment and he done the same.

Yeah I'm doing the same, 600 meter in under 3 min.

I got my medical and I've sent it in

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DuckHuntMadra

If I could offer some advice, no lifting for a few days before. Lactic acid will make it feel like you have concrete in your thighs. Eat well and often, drink plenty of water and please work on your turns on the shuttles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Any former PASO's (Prison Admin Support Officers) apply for this?

• Advertisement

Im In the 160's and havent heard about medical yet

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    Im In the 160's and havent heard about medical yet

Hopefully we hear about it soon enough. Mad to just get it over and done with.

So did a little experiment regarding the PCT.
    I wanted to compare the bleep test which is very similar running between two points 15 meters apart and requiring you to reach level 5.4 in 3 minutes:30seconds.
    Then I did the the PCT test 40 X 15 meter shuttles requiring you to achieve the same time of 3 minutes :30 seconds.
    My analysis is I think that the PCT test is slightly more difficult.

You get 7 seconds per shuttle run over 15 meters on the bleep test compares to 5 seconds per shuttle over 15 meters on the PCT .
    That is the reason why the PCT is slightly harder and on my calculations it probably works out at a few shuttles lees as well probably 35 compares to PCT 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 1990siobhan

Hi, Just wondering has anyone in the 300's got called for interview yet??

Thanks
    Patiently waiting too see will i make the cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 StefanSage

Has anyone who received a verbal confirmation of the job offer received a contract yet? It seems like a full month has passed since the first PCT of 2018 campaign and the next class starts in early December.

Hi, Just wondering has anyone in the 300's got called for interview yet??

Thanks
    Patiently waiting too see will i make the cut

Hey, I’m in around the 370’s and haven’t been called yet if that’s help you! The wait is ridiculous. Garda campaign is moving much quicker than this one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Warden13

Ah lads relax did my aptitude back in 2001, got called for interview in 2006. What's for you won't go by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SHANES1990

Best of luck to everyone doing there Pcts tomorrow in portlaoise 🙂 God knows Im gonna need it ðŸ·

SHANES1990 wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone doing there Pcts tomorrow in portlaoise 🙂 God knows Im gonna need it ðŸ·

Best of luck

How did those of you who did the PCT today find it?

For those waiting on interviews I contacted PAS and was told that next batch of interviews are to take place mid to late December but no dates confirmed yet so that would mean invitations to book for interview should be out by the end of this month start of next id say :)

How did the PCT go for the people who done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SHANES1990

All 22 of us passed on the last pct got those wondering.. just make sure you can run at a decent pace for 5+ mins straight for the toughest test and be able to turn quickly and run opposite direction. Best of luck

Congratulations to all who successfully passed the PCT. Have ye been given a contract offer now and start date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Loopy18

Has anybody from the 2018 campaign had an issue with BMI being over whilest being perfectly fit & healthy, enough to do the fitness test. If your over too much is it a fail or referral to CMO? Tnx

Loopy18 wrote: »
    Has anybody from the 2018 campaign had an issue with BMI being over whilest being perfectly fit & healthy, enough to do the fitness test. If your over too much is it a fail or referral to CMO? Tnx

I stand to be corrected but it can’t be the end of the line .. Ive heard of rugby players that had similar issues but I’m afraid I don’t know the exact process, I’d imagine they will contact you.I think there was reference to a cheater step test to see if your fit enough to partake in th Pct ..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Allo1976

If your bmi is over 30 you will need to attend the cmo and pass a step test.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DuckHuntMadra

Loopy18 wrote: »

No not the end of the line at all, you will be asked to perform and extra test called a chapter step test. Which will highlight that you are fit and able. Good luck!

Check your emails,pct on dec 6th

Can i ask are your from the june interview batch. Thanks

Hi is there anyone still waiting to hear when their medical is?

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    Can i ask are your from the june interview batch. Thanks

No I did my interview in late July

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Well lad, just wondering roughly what your OOM is? Thanks

• Advertisement

No I did my interview in late July