Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 StefanSage

wexfjord wrote: »
    Are you on the Public Accounts Committee buddy?

Nope. Genuinely curious about food and what the gyms are like as i didn't see any discussion about either here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

StefanSage wrote:
    Nope. Genuinely curious about food and what the gyms are like as i didn't see any discussion about either here

Standards for both Mess and Gym will vary between institutions, none are exceptional but they are generally adequate. A lot of staff bring their own grub, particularly those aiming to eat clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 StefanSage

wexfjord wrote: »
    Standards for both Mess and Gym will vary between institutions, none are exceptional but they are generally adequate. A lot of staff bring their own grub, particularly those aiming to eat clean.

Good to hear. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luckymummy

Has anyone else been in a situation where they are estranged from one side of their family and has left these details blank on the Garda clearance application? I have no way of getting these details and I was told someone from public jobs would phone me back but they haven’t as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bmrhcp

FYI anyone looking to get their medical done in Naas the address is wrong on the info in the email. Found out the hard way this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luckymummy

Bmrhcp wrote: »
    FYI anyone looking to get their medical done in Naas the address is wrong on the info in the email. Found out the hard way this morning :)

Thanks haven’t done it yet. What is the correct address?

Luckymummy wrote: »
    Thanks haven’t done it yet. What is the correct address?

They're in the town centre shopping centre 2nd floor not in the millennium park like it says in the email..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DG74

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mgt10

Anyone going for their pct on Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

mgt10 wrote: »
    Anyone going for their pct on Thursday

Yeah I am. I presume you are too?

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Yeah I am. I presume you are too?

Yeah are you well prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

StefanSage wrote: »
    I have a question for those who are already established prison officers. How is the food in the canteen, quality, selection and price? Also how would you rate the gym facilities in your respective prison?

As stated already this will vary from prison to prison.
    Food tends to be ok, nothing spectacular but not bad either. Prices are very reasonable as they tend to be run by the staff for the staff so essentially self funding and 'not for profit' although they aim for a small profit in order to provide the occasional freebie or extras at a retirement do or the likes. That's certainly the case in Cork anyway.

The staff gym in the new Cork prison is excellent. It started off decent but basic and the staff that use it have added to it to turn it into a fine spot. In the old prison staff had to use the prisoners gym. I'd imagine that might still be the case in some of the older prisons.

Yeah are you well prepared

I think so anyway. Done a mock physical the other day and it was grand. What about yourself? I find the 40X15 the toughest.

farrelly90 wrote: »
    I think so anyway. Done a mock physical the other day and it was grand. What about yourself? I find the 40X15 the toughest.

Yeah I’m finding the 40x15 hardest as well I think I’m ok on the rest

Yeah I’m finding the 40x15 hardest as well I think I’m ok on the rest

Have you been training for long I only got ten days notice to attend pct so didn’t have as much time to train as I would have liked

• Advertisement

Have you been training for long I only got ten days notice to attend pct so didn’t have as much time to train as I would have liked

I just sent you a private message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MCBRENNAN

Hey got my interview results a few weeks back, and i'm just wondering is there any point in starting to train for the PCT or is it weeks away i received OOM in the top 5 from my group .

MCBRENNAN wrote: »
    Hey got my interview results a few weeks back, and i'm just wondering is there any point in starting to train for the PCT or is it weeks away i received OOM in the top 5 from my group .

I’d start straight away if I was you I got very short notice so you never really know tbh

Hey guys. When you send off your medical results do you get notification from the CMO office that they've received them?

Bmrhcp wrote: »
    Hey guys. When you send off your medical results do you get notification from the CMO office that they've received them?

I don’t think so. I sent them off just before Xmas and then rang them up in jan and they had sent them back at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Podge280

Hi any body have any idea the dress code for the interview thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

Hi does anyone know if they actually check your previous jobs on the clearance form or is it more so criminal records and family members. I have not told my employer that I have gone for the position. Did anyone if they phoned there employer? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Podge280 wrote: »

I would be dressing in a suit like you would to nearly every other interviews one would ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭po candidate

Podge280 wrote: »

I wore a suit and would suggest you do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Finally got the call clearance is in couldnt be happier. Interviewed in june/July so its being a long wait. Best of luck to everyone else

Pip108 wrote: »
    Finally got the call clearance is in couldnt be happier. Interviewed in june/July so its being a long wait. Best of luck to everyone else

Glad it here that Pip. I interviewed in late June and still waiting hopefully il hear soon too!

Glad it here that Pip. I interviewed in late June and still waiting hopefully il here soon too!
    Hopefully you hear soon. Class for the 18th of February is full so its gona be late March so still laods of time to hear back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MCBRENNAN

Glad it here that Pip. I interviewed in late June and still waiting hopefully I hear soon too! Did they email or call to tell you?
    Congrats! Do you mind me asking where abouts was your oom? And have you already done your pct ?

MCBRENNAN wrote: »
    Congrats! Do you mind me asking where abouts was your oom? And have you already done your pct ?

I was in top 20 in the group that had interviews in June. I have everything else done since October. Just waiting on clearance.

Hopefully you hear soon. Class for the 18th of February is full so its gona be late March so still laods of time to hear back

Hopefully. I thought it would be the next class after Feb alright. Hopefully see you in March!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Redzer99

Can I ask have you ever lived abroad or have any of your family? Or is it just a serious wait??

Redzer99 wrote: »

Can I ask have you ever lived abroad or have any of your family? Or is it just a serious wait??
    Nope lived in the same house all my life. Have a big family with regards to relative's and a few live in England.

Redzer99 wrote: »

Nope lived in the same house all my life. Have a big family with regards to relative's and a few live in England.

Quick question for those who are already trained or training at the minute. When you start what way does pay work with regards to frequency and how long before first pay check. Just trying to sort finances out before i start. Thanks

Quick question for those who are already trained or training at the minute. When you start what way does pay work with regards to frequency and how long before first pay check. Just trying to sort finances out before i start. Thanks

I stand corrected Pip but afaik, your paid every two weeks. Not sure about the other Q though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Pay is fortnightly and is paid from the get-go.. Pay is due this coming Thursday 14th (pay slips on Weds, goes into bank overnight so there on Thurs morning). Basically, you get paid on the 'odd' week. This is week seven of the year so pay due this week. Hopefully that will help you figure out where you stand.

Even if you start in Beladd on a Monday of a pay week you'll get paid that Thursday so, for instance, anyone that started yesterday would be paid pro rata on this Thursday. Pay week runs Sat to Friday BTW so they'd pretty much be getting one weeks wages.

P.S... Weekly wages are paid 'to date'. Overtime / AH, allowances etc are paid two weeks in arrears.

Pay is fortnightly and is paid from the get-go.. Pay is due this coming Thursday 14th (pay slips on Weds, goes into bank overnight so there on Thurs morning). Basically, you get paid on the 'odd' week. This is week seven of the year so pay due this week. Hopefully that will help you figure out where you stand.

Even if you start in Beladd on a Monday of a pay week you'll get paid that Thursday so, for instance, anyone that started yesterday would be paid pro rata on this Thursday. Pay week runs Sat to Friday BTW so they'd pretty much be getting one weeks wages.

P.S... Weekly wages are paid 'to date'. Overtime / AH, allowances etc are paid two weeks in arrears.

Thats great help thanks for that really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Redzer99

Just passed my medical. My documents have been received by CMO this week. Anyone know the time frame roughly untill I'll be contacted by IPS for a PCT?

Anyone else in the same boat?

Anybody else get their invitation to the PCT on the 7th march today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 1981rob

Hi lads
    Can anyone help and point me in the direction of whos doing the vetting to check the status. Im after tormenting HR so much and only getting the same reply. The national vetting Bureau cant help. Does any one have insight on who to ring.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 callum21

Hi all, congratulations to all who have got through. I did not do so well in stage 2 but eventually got called for an interview. (07th march) Anyone got any tips on how to control the nerves? I have read the interview and written report was very hard. How did you guys prepare yourselves?
    Thank you in advance for your advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tanker88

Anyone have any clue of take home pay while in college for prison service?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Tanker88 wrote: »
    Anyone have any clue of take home pay while in college for prison service?

I know a few lads who went through training a while back and they said around €450 a week or thereabouts. I could be wrong now but they wouldn’t have done the training that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bowrow

Passed my interview
    Depending on clearance how soon would Oct be and medical

Bowrow wrote: »
    Passed my interview
    Depending on clearance how soon would Oct be and medical

Well done. Medical will be in the next month or so, you have one month to get it done then will get a date for pct a few weeks after. I was waiting 7 months for clearance so be prepared for a long wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Tanker88

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    I know a few lads who went through training a while back and they said around €450 a week or thereabouts. I could be wrong now but they wouldn’t have done the training that long ago.

Not alot but better than nothing starting out I suppose. One last thing. Does anyone know if prison service offers accommodation when in college in Dublin as I think they do offer accommodation in portlaoise?

Finally does anyone know how long both periods of training/college lasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bowrow

Well done. Medical will be in the next month or so, you have one month to get it done then will get a date for pct a few weeks after. I was waiting 7 months for clearance so be prepared for a long wait

Thanks for reply
    I don't mind waiting tbh.

Not alot but better than nothing starting out I suppose. One last thing. Does anyone know if prison service offers accommodation when in college in Dublin as I think they do offer accommodation in portlaoise?

Training is 12 weeks afaik, 6 in the College and 6 in Wheatfield campus. Accommodation is provided in Portlaoise but not when your training in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BommerF90

Hi lads,found out i passed my interview,just wondering at what point might they contact your current job for a reference? Asking because I haven’t told them as of yet due to me moving up the ladder within the company recently and don’t want to jeopardise my chances in case this role doesn’t work out and the fact it’s such a drawn out process. Any bit of info would be very helpful. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

450 a week I'm making double that . How long does it take to get a decent wage in the job I know there's over time but don't want to be working all the time would have no life. How much does the wage go up by each year ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement