If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundbase/bar Dilemma

Options
  • 02-02-2018 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice about a possible soundbase / bar purchase. Currently I have an old Sony DAV-SC5 all-in-one home cinema system which has been pretty good for DVD playback and such over the years, however its starting to look its age and there is some connection problem that's causing the sound to become muffled and the centre channel disappears at times. Plus the DAV-SC5 has never been good for music and I heard a couple of soundbases/bars (Sonos playbase & Q Acoustics M4) recently and was impressed, particularly by the music reproduction, they were so much better than the Sony! Now, to get to the point I'm thinking about the Q Acoustics M2 Soundbase which is getting a load of great reviews but am a bit nervous that I'll miss the surround effect I get from the Sony (even though it appears to be on its last legs). Can you offer any advice whether the M2 will be a sufficient replacement? 

Many Thanks
    J

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Jabel wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice about a possible soundbase / bar purchase. Currently I have an old Sony DAV-SC5 all-in-one home cinema system which has been pretty good for DVD playback and such over the years, however its starting to look its age and there is some connection problem that's causing the sound to become muffled and the centre channel disappears at times. Plus the DAV-SC5 has never been good for music and I heard a couple of soundbases/bars (Sonos playbase & Q Acoustics M4) recently and was impressed, particularly by the music reproduction, they were so much better than the Sony! Now, to get to the point I'm thinking about the Q Acoustics M2 Soundbase which is getting a load of great reviews but am a bit nervous that I'll miss the surround effect I get from the Sony (even though it appears to be on its last legs). Can you offer any advice whether the M2 will be a sufficient replacement? 

Many Thanks
    J
    Hi J.

It is always very very hard to compare sound bars or bases to 5.1 surround setups as unfortunately you do lose a lot of the surround feel when it comes to soundbars/bases.

While they still do a good job it is very hard to beat a 5.1 setup.

The Q Acoustics M2 is a very good soundbase and does sound well. It has MoviEQ [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]setting which gives increased bass and heightened dynamics for the perfect ‘edge of the seat’ cinema excitement.[/font]
    Its currently priced at £299.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202920-black-400160.aspx

If you wanted to stick with 5.1 you could replace your Sony with the Yamaha YHT1840 5.1 pack at the same price as the M2 at £299.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202921-yamaha-yht1840.aspx

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Thanks for the quick response, which of these would be best for music? I'm half thinking of seeing how long the Sony lasts (which kind of rules the Yamaha out) and streaming music and regular TV through the soundbase using the Sony for DVD. Or would I be better just looking for a music only solution? Sorry if I'm muddying the waters, as the title say I'm in a bit of a dilemma!

Thanks
    J

Thanks for the quick response, which of these would be best for music? I'm half thinking of seeing how long the Sony lasts (which kind of rules the Yamaha out) and streaming music and regular TV through the soundbase using the Sony for DVD. Or would I be better just looking for a music only solution? Sorry if I'm muddying the waters, as the title say I'm in a bit of a dilemma!

Thanks
    J
    Hi J.

It really depends what you want to do. As it can be hard to get used to after having surround sound for so long.

If you wanted to just add something from streaming music for the mean time you could add the likes of the Sonos Play priced at £149.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-12709-black-311692.aspx

Or the Denon Heos 1 priced also at £149.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-12997-black-12997.aspx

Both very good products.

You can also go up in the range if you want even better sound quality.

The Sonos Play 3 is priced at £249.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-11317-black309719.aspx

Or the Heos 3 priced at £219.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202172-black-316692.aspx

Thanks again, To settle my mind I've bought an optical cable to connect my Sky Q box to the Sony DAV-SC5 (think I solved the connection issues too) and I'm pleasantly surprised with the improvement in the TV sound. I now have good deep bass from the 5.1 set up and, taking your advice about the soundbase's difficulty matching it, have decided against buying. 

However, I would like to get some kind of music streaming speaker and the Sonos play 1 you highlighted looks very good indeed, I've also been reading that two Play 1's offer a greater sonic effect than a single Play 3, would you concur with this? 
    I believe there a special offer if purchasing two Play 1's, can you give me your best price for these. Was also looking at the Sonos Ones (the smart speaker), can you also give me a price for two of these? Is the offer available on these too? 
    Delivery is to the Republic. 

Thanks
    J

Thanks again, To settle my mind I've bought an optical cable to connect my Sky Q box to the Sony DAV-SC5 (think I solved the connection issues too) and I'm pleasantly surprised with the improvement in the TV sound. I now have good deep bass from the 5.1 set up and, taking your advice about the soundbase's difficulty matching it, have decided against buying. 

However, I would like to get some kind of music streaming speaker and the Sonos play 1 you highlighted looks very good indeed, I've also been reading that two Play 1's offer a greater sonic effect than a single Play 3, would you concur with this? 
    I believe there a special offer if purchasing two Play 1's, can you give me your best price for these. Was also looking at the Sonos Ones (the smart speaker), can you also give me a price for two of these? Is the offer available on these too? 
    Delivery is to the Republic. 

Thanks
    J
    Hi Jabel,

The two Play 1s would give a better stereo sound than a single Play 3 as they can be linked together into a stereo pair.

The best price on 2 x Play 1s would be: £298

and for 2 x Sonos Ones: £349.

The only issue with the Sonos Ones is the Alexa functionality is not currently available in ROI. I have contacted Sonos about this and they do not know when it will be available in ROI at the moment.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Thanks David,
    Alexa launched here in Ireland last month so I'd say it's just a matter of time before Sonos get around to integrating it, hopefully that wont be too long.
    I know the Sonos One is a bit dearer but the 'future proofing' features it offers seem like a better option to me.

Does your £349 include delivery? Can you also tell me how long the guarantee is for these and whats the normal delivery time?

Cheers
    J

Thanks David,
    Alexa launched here in Ireland last month so I'd say it's just a matter of time before Sonos get around to integrating it, hopefully that wont be too long.
    I know the Sonos One is a bit dearer but the 'future proofing' features it offers seem like a better option to me.

Does your £349 include delivery? Can you also tell me how long the guarantee is for these and whats the normal delivery time?

Cheers
    J
    Hi J.

I could offer free shipping on the £349.00 price.

At the minute the Sonos One also come with our 6 year guarantee included.

Delivery is usually 1-2 days via DPD.

Thanks David,

Cheers
    J
    Hi J.

Going to go ahead with these, can you tell me the procedure for ordering?

Thanks
    J

Thanks David,

Cheers
    J
    Hi J.

Going to go ahead with these, can you tell me the procedure for ordering?

Thanks
    J
    Hi J,

If you PM me with your contact number we'll call you to process the order.

Kind regards

David

PM sent, thanks

• Advertisement

PM sent, thanks
    Cheers Jabel :)

Speakers arrived yesterday lads, thanks for the prompt service.
    Couldn't wait to get them home to try them out so we set them up in the office and gave them a whirl.
    Mucho impressive and the guys were sorry to see me take them home!

Took a bit of time to set up again at home (all this wireless music stuff is new to me) but am delighted with them.

Thanks again all.

J

Speakers arrived yesterday lads, thanks for the prompt service.
    Couldn't wait to get them home to try them out so we set them up in the office and gave them a whirl.
    Mucho impressive and the guys were sorry to see me take them home!

Took a bit of time to set up again at home (all this wireless music stuff is new to me) but am delighted with them.

Thanks again all.

J
    Hey J.

Excellent that you are up and running and enjoying your new purchase.

Should you have any questions or we can help in any way in future please let us know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.