Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek Madone value

Options
  • 02-02-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some knowledge on a bike and it’s value and year etc, I got it in the UK last year from an older Work colleague who had it stored inside, insisted I take it and give it some use.

I rode it a about 5 times and now it’s sitting in my bedroom in the West of Ireland, ha. I don’t know how old it is? It’s in amazing condition, frame and groupset are original.
    Saddle, tyres and rims and stem have been replaced in the last year.
    It’s a trek Madone 5.5, dura ace groupset, 56cm. Even has the original book, and cd etc.See some images attached.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

All depends on condition and demand really.

It's a 2007 model

Bikebluebook values it between 3-500, but that's very US centric and a market where lots of Treks are sold I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

piobhan wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some knowledge on a bike and it’s value and year etc, I got it in the UK last year from an older Work colleague who had it stored inside, insisted I take it and give it some use.
    So, you got the bike for nothing? How about 'paying it forward' or whatever the yanks say. Find someone who you think may benefit from the bike as your old colleague thought you would.

Trying to haggle with someone over a couple hundred euro seems somewhat beneath the benevolence of the previous owner.

However, you are perfectly entitled to do with it want you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

velo.2010 wrote: »
    So, you got the bike for nothing? How about 'paying it forward' or whatever the yanks say. Find someone who you think may benefit from the bike as your old colleague thought you would.

Trying to haggle with someone over a couple hundred euro seems somewhat beneath the benevolence of the previous owner.

However, you are perfectly entitled to do with it want you want.

Sorry, I should have been more clearer, I paid him £500 for it, I half thought it might be a collectable or something given it’s age, hence the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Sorry, I should have been more clearer, I paid him £500 for it, I half thought it might be a collectable or something given it’s age, hence the thread!
    So he 'insisted' you take it and pay him £500... The dirty auld divil!:D

Yeah, I'll think you'll struggle to make e500-e600. Guys will point out the age of the bike, the fact it's 10 speed etc. on any advert you post.

I think if it was an early Madone 5.9 circa 2003/4 it may have some notoriety value because of US Postal and Lance.

Maybe flog the frame on its own. Someone may want it to build up with 11 speed. There might be some takers for older Dura ace parts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also should note, doesn't have the original wheels. It has Giant stock wheels. Not sure whether they add or take anything from it other than they are newer than the bike.

This would've come with a Bontrager XLite wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unfortunately, 10 years old does not mean it's collectable. a ten year old car is not collectable because of its age..

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

I sell a lot of bikes.....id value it at 500.

Advertisement