Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Renewal

Options
  • 02-02-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

I'm planning to move out of the apartment I'm currently based in. Just to give you some background, I moved here in January 2015. Last year, I signed a new lease after the rent was reviewed and, as the law requires, it came into effect in April 2017. Now we are in Feb 2018; a week ago I notified my landlord that I would like to renew the lease for one more year and then he sent me via post the revised rent which should come into effect in May this year. There was no contract and no field for me to sign, so the document he sent was for info only.

Something occurred in the meantime and I need to leave the property at the end of March. Since I haven't signed anything, if I give him notice 56 days in advance that I need to leave, am I covered even though I haven't signed the lease renewal? Or could he simply say that I need to vacate the property since there was no new contract signed between us? Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You don't need to renew the lease you've security of tenure until 2019 anyway. Don't sign anything else just give notice if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Almond87

You don't need to renew the lease you've security of tenure until 2019 anyway. Don't sign anything else just give notice if you need to.

How come I have it secure until 2019? What is the legal background?
    (Thanks for your reply, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Almond87 wrote: »
    How come I have it secure until 2019? What is the legal background?
    (Thanks for your reply, btw)

After six months a Part IV tenancy is in place, they are now six years but in 2015 were 4 years. You've no requirement to sign yearly leases. The LL can only ask you to leave on certain grounds, all (IIRC) of which require a statutory declaration. Not signing a yearly lease is not one of them :)

Advertisement