Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexplained fertility 2nd kid

Options
  • 02-02-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I know that when TTC certain tests are indicated if you're trying certain amount of months etc with no luck. Is it still worth doing if you already have a kid? We are 35 trying for number 2. Number 1 is 18mo and we got pregnant first month we tried. Now trying using fertility app and having intercourse etc with ovulation positive, mucus fertile etc for six months running... I mean nothing seems wrong and given we had a kid are we presumed fertile or should we have tests done? There were no issues with pregnancy or birth on last child. Thanks in advance if anyone had same problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

maxsmum wrote: »
    Hi all
    I know that when TTC certain tests are indicated if you're trying certain amount of months etc with no luck. Is it still worth doing if you already have a kid? We are 35 trying for number 2. Number 1 is 18mo and we got pregnant first month we tried. Now trying using fertility app and having intercourse etc with ovulation positive, mucus fertile etc for six months running... I mean nothing seems wrong and given we had a kid are we presumed fertile or should we have tests done? There were no issues with pregnancy or birth on last child. Thanks in advance if anyone had same problem.

It shouldn't make any difference because you already have a child. Irish and UK sites I've come across advise the same:-
    When should we seek medical conception help?
    It is recommended for couples where the women under 35 begin testing after trying to conceive unsuccessfully for 12 months.The recommendation for couples where the women over 35 is to begin testing after trying to conceive unsuccessfully for 6 months. Anyone who has a history of problems (endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, chlamydia, fibroids, cystic fibrosis, etc) should consult their doctor if they have any concerns or worries.

I suppose when you've given birth already the natural assumption is that there wouldn't be an issue the next time around. But many factors can have a part to play if it's just not happening, such as stress. If you're 6+ month trying its a good idea to have a chat with the doctor who would be able to advise you what you can do.

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having had one child says that you can conceive, carry a child to term and give birth, but doesn't necessarily translate into success conceiving a 2nd/3rd/nth time.

Especially given the first is only 18mo, things can take a while to settle back into a pattern, and sometimes may even require intervention to be kicked back into normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Go and get checked out. If you get pregnant while the tests are underway great. I would not waste any more time though. I've seen too many wait and regret not starting things rolling sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

So I went to GP for something else and just mentioned we had been trying with no luck. She said to come back on day 21 of cycle for bloods and we could check Amh etc. She did say though what would you do with test results if something was off ie would we want to go for fertility treatment etc.
    Discussed with my husband and we have decided pretty quickly we wouldnt put ourselves through the emotional or financial burden of IVF or other stuff anyway if we found out something was wrong so have decided not to get investigated. We actually feel relieved by this. The whole 'actively trying' was getting stressful and not enjoyable in the least!
    So we will just continue on without contraception and try to go back to a normal non-pressured sex life. If it happens it happens. It was a good perspective that the GP said 'well what would you actually do with the info'. We will be happy with one child if that's what's meant to be...we realise how fortunate we are to have one who came without any stress and for us anyway that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Glad for you that you've made a decision :-) I'm in the same position have one child. I didn't think I would try Clomid but after 8months of trying I feel differently though still wouldn't go for IVF. I just wish my GP would prescribe Clinic instead she's referring me to the Mention Clinic which freaks me out a bit I've bad anxiety and really don't think this will help.

quote="maxsmum;106235445"]So I went to GP for something else and just mentioned we had been trying with no luck. She said to come back on day 21 of cycle for bloods and we could check Amh etc. She did say though what would you do with test results if something was off ie would we want to go for fertility treatment etc.
    Discussed with my husband and we have decided pretty quickly we wouldnt put ourselves through the emotional or financial burden of IVF or other stuff anyway if we found out something was wrong so have decided not to get investigated. We actually feel relieved by this. The whole 'actively trying' was getting stressful and not enjoyable in the least!
    So we will just continue on without contraception and try to go back to a normal non-pressured sex life. If it happens it happens. It was a good perspective that the GP said 'well what would you actually do with the info'. We will be happy with one child if that's what's meant to be...we realise how fortunate we are to have one who came without any stress and for us anyway that's enough.[/quote]

• Advertisement
Advertisement