Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unnecessary abuse received by Gardai.

Options
  • 02-02-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

I was watching a number of videos on YouTube last night. Where Gardai are being recorded on phones and also receiving verbal abuse by the Joe Soap.

What can/do Gardai do in these situations?

I'm just curious to know, as I'm sure being a garda can be an awful stressful job, even without all this B.S. Going on. Also, any Gardai that I know are extremely pleasant to deal with, as long as you treat them with respect. I've never had any issues with Gardai ever!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Some people are inculcated from birth to respect authority, do what they are told when faced with a carrier for effective authority and generally get out of sticky situations. Some others carry a bad attitude from their parents, peers and environment and suffer accordingly.

I am lucky that I am a country boy as most guards are and so have met only civil and respectful guards on my travels. Others might not be so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I was listening to a radio piece on the kinehan hutch feud during the week. The reporter was interviewing people on the street in north inner city, asking their opinion on the recent shooting.

The reporter then asked about the garda presence in the area and what the resident thought of it.

The local went on to criticise the "excessive" number of Gardai on the street who are annoying residents, walking out in front of cars and getting in people's way by setting up checkpoints etc.

Such a bizarre complaint to have, considering the circumstances.

Some members of society are hard wired to mistrust, or even hate Gardai no matter the circumstances. I cant understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

doolox wrote: »
    Some people are inculcated from birth to respect authority, do what they are told when faced with a carrier for effective authority and generally get out of sticky situations. Some others carry a bad attitude from their parents, peers and environment and suffer accordingly.

I am lucky that I am a country boy as most guards are and so have met only civil and respectful guards on my travels. Others might not be so lucky.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I've never had to get out of sticky situations though. As I've never been in any trouble.

I suppose it's true when you say, that it's how people are brought up.

Thanks for the reply.

I was listening to a radio piece on the kinehan hutch feud during the week. The reporter was interviewing people on the street in north inner city, asking their opinion on the recent shooting.

The reporter then asked about the garda presence in the area and what the resident thought of it.

The local went on to criticise the "excessive" number of Gardai on the street who are annoying residents, walking out in front of cars and getting in people's way by setting up checkpoints etc.

Such a bizarre complaint to have, considering the circumstances.

Some members of society are hard wired to mistrust, or even hate Gardai no matter the circumstances. I cant understand it.

That is bizarre, the Gardai are only trying to do their job. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’ve seen a few “share before it’s deleted” videos recently where I’m supposed to feel that the Gardaí were heavy handed in dealing with young lads.
    All resisting arrest, fighting and shouting abuse...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

.....without being stopped at checkpoints, held up for speeding etc unless you are a nun or somesuch. Sometimes you have to deal with guards such as looking for directions at a diversion, applying for a passport etc. It pays to have a family background and attitude that makes these interactions as painfree as possible but also to recognise that some people are not so lucky and live in circumstances where guards, priests, teachers, and officials are seen as the "class enemy" if one is to take a Marxist slant on it.

I’ve seen a few “share before it’s deleted” videos recently where I’m supposed to feel that the Gardaí were heavy handed in dealing with young lads.
    All resisting arrest, fighting and shouting abuse...

That's just it, then the attaude of such individuals would change pretty quickly, when they need the assistance of Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭irishrgr

As a cop you develop a think skin to this sort of thing, comes with the job unfortunately. Here, we can technically ticket someone for abusive language (charge is disorderly conduct-language), maybe even, if a threat is made, for retribution threat but frankly it wouldn't be worth the paperwork and chances of it going to court are almost none. At the end of the day, everyone wants the cops, until you sanction people, then it's the "you should be catching real criminals" thing.
    I don't even hear it, and as a cop, best just not to engage, it only escalates things.

irishrgr wrote: »
    As a cop you develop a think skin to this sort of thing, comes with the job unfortunately. Here, we can technically ticket someone for abusive language (charge is disorderly conduct-language), maybe even, if a threat is made, for retribution threat but frankly it wouldn't be worth the paperwork and chances of it going to court are almost none. At the end of the day, everyone wants the cops, until you sanction people, then it's the "you should be catching real criminals" thing.
    I don't even hear it, and as a cop, best just not to engage, it only escalates things.

Thanks very much for your opinion. I totally get where you're coming from. By taking action you're really just failing the fire so to speak. It seems extremely unnecessary that Gardai have to listen to it though. :(

Can I just ask, if these youtube videos are ever used to get Gardai into trouble? As I've noticed in some, the individual recording the video were asking for the Garda's number. Or is this just all for the youtube views or being 'the man'?

Regardless, if someone reported a Garda for whatever (stupid) reason. How could the Gardai defend themselves in this case?

I understand that you may not be able to answer these questions, so if you can't that's alright. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

job seeker wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your opinion. I totally get where you're coming from. By taking action you're really just failing the fire so to speak. It seems extremely unnecessary that Gardai have to listen to it though. :(

Can I just ask, if these youtube videos are ever used to get Gardai into trouble? As I've noticed in some, the individual recording the video were asking for the Garda's number. Or is this just all for the youtube views or being 'the man'?

Regardless, if someone reported a Garda for whatever (stupid) reason. How could the Gardai defend themselves in this case?

I understand that you may not be able to answer these questions, so if you can't that's alright. :)

He's a U.S police officer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

D Trent wrote:

Correct my brother is a cop in L.A. they do fine people for abusive language. My son is a Garda he gives as good as he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I was watching a number of videos on YouTube last night. Where Gardai are being recorded on phones and also receiving verbal abuse by the Joe Soap.

What can/do Gardai do in these situations?

I'm just curious to know, as I'm sure being a garda can be an awful stressful job, even without all this B.S. Going on. Also, any Gardai that I know are extremely pleasant to deal with, as long as you treat them with respect. I've never had any issues with Gardai ever!

Thanks

If it's in a public place the public are entitled to film whatever they want. Most sensible guards just ignore it, as most of the people doing the videoing are looking for a negative reaction from a guard so that they can have their 5 minutes of fame on Youtube or whatever.

D Trent wrote: »

Oh. I assumed that he was an Irish Garda.

Edit: it was his username that had me thinking he was in the AGS.

job seeker wrote:
    Oh. I assumed that he was an Irish Garda.

AGS never refer to themselves as cops.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    AGS never refer to themselves as cops.

Yeah, I should have copped on to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

‘Unessessary abuse’.

What would necessary abuse look like?

If it's in a public place the public are entitled to film whatever they want. Most sensible guards just ignore it, as most of the people doing the videoing are looking for a negative reaction from a guard so that they can have their 5 minutes of fame on Youtube or whatever.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Still not nice for the guard though. As they may be recognised on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Some people are the criminal/scumbag type so they will always dislike Gardai and try make them look bad. And many the target audience will be fellow tramps so they are not hard to convince. Others will be stuck up tw**s who think they "know better". The sovereign citizen types. For further on them find mr metokur on YouTube and look up "sovereign citizens".

Either way what they believe is police malpractice and what society at large thinks are rarely the same. As another poster said it kinda depends on they level of work you have time to put in. Most could fall under disorderly behaviour and in some places not so far away an officer can seize any evidence of an offence. And that includes a video recording regardless who made it. Food for thought for the smart a**es. Sooner AGS have body worn video the better. Tends to wind up scumbags when it gets switched on.

mutter_man wrote: »
    Some people are the criminal/scumbag type so they will always dislike Gardai and try make them look bad. And many the target audience will be fellow tramps so they are not hard to convince. Others will be stuck up tw**s who think they "know better". The sovereign citizen types. For further on them find mr metokur on YouTube and look up "sovereign citizens".

Either way what they believe is police malpractice and what society at large thinks are rarely the same. As another poster said it kinda depends on they level of work you have time to put in. Most could fall under disorderly behaviour and in some places not so far away an officer can seize any evidence of an offence. And that includes a video recording regardless who made it. Food for thought for the smart a**es. Sooner AGS have body worn video the better. Tends to wind up scumbags when it gets switched on.

Totally agree with what you've said MM.

I guess it's a matter of just ignoring that type of individual. :)

Totally agree with what you've said MM.

I guess it's a matter of just ignoring that type of individual. :)

I would imagine take and deal with each situation as it comes. And never forget the uploaders can always edit videos to suit themselves.

• Advertisement

mutter_man wrote: »
    I would imagine take and deal with each situation as it comes. And never forget the uploaders can always edit videos to suit themselves.

They are good points. Thanks for your reply.

Exactly, most of these people are just twats who have an exaggerated sense of their own importance and scream "police brutality" anytime anything kicks off. There is even a group here who travel around giving classes on how to film the police in action. They wear bright armbands with "civil rights" on them and hang around big crowds (think football matches, or the Saturdays downtown, which looks a lot like Temple Bar in Dublin sometimes. It's not illegal to film in public places here, so they can. We've had a few silly officers who've tried the "obstructing an officer' or the "failure to follow a lawful order" routine when these people film, but it's never worked and causes more aggro than its worth. I have nothing to hide, go ahead and film my name badge, if I have time I'll offer people business card. That usually pisses them off TBH. 
    Making a complaint is more than just a phone call, for us you have to go in person to IA and swear out an affidavit of fact. That in itself is a deterrent as most of these morons can't be arsed, and the few who do tend to balk when asked to sign the waiver allowing a search of their device to provide evidence. 
    We're getting body cameras this year, I'm a big fan, be great if the Gardaí ever got them. There is some evidence to show body cameras actually improves peoples behavior towards coppers when they know they are being recorded.

irishrgr wrote: »
    Exactly, most of these people are just twats who have an exaggerated sense of their own importance and scream "police brutality" anytime anything kicks off. There is even a group here who travel around giving classes on how to film the police in action. They wear bright armbands with "civil rights" on them and hang around big crowds (think football matches, or the Saturdays downtown, which looks a lot like Temple Bar in Dublin sometimes. It's not illegal to film in public places here, so they can. We've had a few silly officers who've tried the "obstructing an officer' or the "failure to follow a lawful order" routine when these people film, but it's never worked and causes more aggro than its worth. I have nothing to hide, go ahead and film my name badge, if I have time I'll offer people business card. That usually pisses them off TBH. 
    Making a complaint is more than just a phone call, for us you have to go in person to IA and swear out an affidavit of fact. That in itself is a deterrent as most of these morons can't be arsed, and the few who do tend to balk when asked to sign the waiver allowing a search of their device to provide evidence. 
    We're getting body cameras this year, I'm a big fan, be great if the Gardaí ever got them. There is some evidence to show body cameras actually improves peoples behavior towards coppers when they know they are being recorded.

Im going to seem very strange and run with a quote having seen that "civil rights" reference.

"And thus I cloak my naked villainy in old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ, and seem a saint when most I play the devil".

Funny how the lowest always try to place themselves on a nice ivory tower. I imagine the chance of prosecution for attempting to pervert the course of justice if they are lying does help as well. Sadly unless the person recording has also committed an offence usually bog all can be done (and a sexed up charge as you said just won't work). Although if they have very kindly filmed evidence of an offence or offences. And bodycams are great items, its funny to see the scumbag or crusaders attitude when the tables are turned. Really f***s then off rather nicely.

irishrgr wrote:
    Exactly, most of these people are just twats who have an exaggerated sense of their own importance and scream "police brutality" anytime anything kicks off. There is even a group here who travel around giving classes on how to film the police in action. They wear bright armbands with "civil rights" on them and hang around big crowds (think football matches, or the Saturdays downtown, which looks a lot like Temple Bar in Dublin sometimes. It's not illegal to film in public places here, so they can. We've had a few silly officers who've tried the "obstructing an officer' or the "failure to follow a lawful order" routine when these people film, but it's never worked and causes more aggro than its worth. I have nothing to hide, go ahead and film my name badge, if I have time I'll offer people business card. That usually pisses them off TBH. Making a complaint is more than just a phone call, for us you have to go in person to IA and swear out an affidavit of fact. That in itself is a deterrent as most of these morons can't be arsed, and the few who do tend to balk when asked to sign the waiver allowing a search of their device to provide evidence. We're getting body cameras this year, I'm a big fan, be great if the Gardaí ever got them. There is some evidence to show body cameras actually improves peoples behavior towards coppers when they know they are being recorded.

irishrgr wrote:
    Exactly, most of these people are just twats who have an exaggerated sense of their own importance and scream "police brutality" anytime anything kicks off. There is even a group here who travel around giving classes on how to film the police in action. They wear bright armbands with "civil rights" on them and hang around big crowds (think football matches, or the Saturdays downtown, which looks a lot like Temple Bar in Dublin sometimes. It's not illegal to film in public places here, so they can. We've had a few silly officers who've tried the "obstructing an officer' or the "failure to follow a lawful order" routine when these people film, but it's never worked and causes more aggro than its worth. I have nothing to hide, go ahead and film my name badge, if I have time I'll offer people business card. That usually pisses them off TBH. Making a complaint is more than just a phone call, for us you have to go in person to IA and swear out an affidavit of fact. That in itself is a deterrent as most of these morons can't be arsed, and the few who do tend to balk when asked to sign the waiver allowing a search of their device to provide evidence. We're getting body cameras this year, I'm a big fan, be great if the Gardaí ever got them. There is some evidence to show body cameras actually improves peoples behavior towards coppers when they know they are being recorded.

Sorry for highlighting your full post, where in the states you based? I have a brother a P7 in L.A. and a son in his first year as a Garda.

Expat Dub now a sheriffs deputy in Central Texas, and no I don't have a horse, we traded them in for Ford Explorers :-) Well done to the son on getting into AGS, very competitive. I'll be back in Dublin later in the spring if any members want to meet up, probably have a few badges to pass along. Do the Gardaí do ride-alongs? I've never heard but wanted to ask.

Advertisement