Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Basketball Hoop

Options
  • 02-02-2018 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Thought I'd post this for a bit of a sounding board more than anything.

My neighbours kids inherited a massive basketball hoop/stand contraption some months back. I've never seen them use it.

The only ones who do use it are some young lads from somewhere else - another part of the estate best guess.

My home opens onto a public path of a cul-de-sac. So no driveway. The lads will usually set up the hoop about 7ft from my front door. I'll tell them to shift and they'll do so grudgingly. Though they'll typically move to the front of the house where my car is parked.

My problem here is the risk the basketball poses to front windows etc - particularly if I'm not home at the time.
    Neighbours seem to have divested all interest and responsibility of the hoop.
    I don't want my home to become the courtside seats for the local basketball court.

Have spoken to the neighbor once already but feel I'll have to raise it again to get some action in place and have him remove this nuisance.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,075 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's really quite difficult to smash a double glazed window with a basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Lumen wrote: »

It would certainly put a large dent on your car roof or bonnet. Not to mention the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It would certainly put a large dent on your car roof or bonnet. Not to mention the noise.

That's sort of part of life when you live in an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I live in an area many would consider pretty rough and 99% of the kids have a healthy respect for other people's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Diceicle wrote: »
    Hi All

What would you do?

I'd remember that I always hated the neighbour that stopped us from playing ball and having fun. Then try to balance that with knowing young kids are enjoying themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,075 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ah, now you're moving the basketball hoop.

Help them move it down to outside their own gaffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Lumen wrote: »

Agreed though the windows I'd be concerned about (the ones near the door) aren't double glazed.

GG66 wrote: »
    I'd remember that I always hated the neighbour that stopped us from playing ball and having fun. Then try to balance that with knowing young kids are enjoying themselves

But try and balance that again with property damage and quiet enjoyment of my home.

Help them move it down to outside their own gaffe.

Just the way the houses are positioned its not really possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

You could join in and do an overzealous slam dunk which may solve your problem...

Patww79 wrote: »
    Get rid of it yourself some night.

It's massive. And kinda heavy. I'd need someone with a big van or a flatbed to come by about 12 or 1.
    Who is also in the Lucan area and needs to make an easy 100 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I'd say you were inundated with pm's once you mentioned the €100?? Yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had a friend with a similar problem, it was a trampoline abandoned by neightbours, it got blown around the street in the storms. He bought a bike lock in Halfords and locked it to the owners gate. It was dismantled soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It's massive. And kinda heavy. I'd need someone with a big van or a flatbed to come by about 12 or 1.

Think outside the box, unscrew the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭breeno

Think outside the box
    3 points for one of those if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

No one owns it?

Have monkeys in a tree

Remove tree

No tree = no monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

sell it on done deal.

sell it on done deal.

I'm up because 4 doors down the asshole's dog is barking and howling the estate down. He throws it out during the day too. You, Sir, are a genius!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Diceicle wrote:
    Agreed though the windows I'd be concerned about (the ones near the door) aren't double glazed.

I find if you make friends with the kids it can work out for the better. Help them find somewhere for the hoop that it bothers no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Blast them with Pish

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Absolute bull, it's opinions like this that excuse property damage.

Op at the very least I'd run the kids every time they start playing with it, properly run them away completely not just move where they play. Better option would be get rid of the hoop though or "dismantle" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Community gardai?

My parents had a nightmare with children kicking ball against a garage door...my mam was recovering from a hip operation and not only the noise when trying to rest but the fear of being hit when she was trying to exercise.

Community guard came an explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

If it were my mother she would have probably called a certain councellor from Lucan to complain. He sorted an issue once for her and now she has the poor man tormented when any issue comes up, but in fairness he usually does solve them lol.

amtc wrote: »
    Community gardai?

My parents had a nightmare with children kicking ball against a garage door...my mam was recovering from a hip operation and not only the noise when trying to rest but the fear of being hit when she was trying to exercise.

If that was my mother I'd have had intervened long before calling any guard.

hawkelady wrote: »
    I'd say you were inundated with pm's once you mentioned the €100?? Yeah ?

No offers....yet

worded wrote: »
    No one owns it?

Have monkeys in a tree

Remove tree

No tree = no monkeys

A family across the road from me 'own' it but take little responsibility for it.
    Their kids don't use - I've seen them play with it for I guess 10-20 minutes in the months its been here.
    We all live in a sort of cul-de-sac part of the estate. The hoop isn't kept in their drive -its just left out on the road.

sell it on done deal.

I'd actually pay someone to take it away.

• Advertisement

amtc wrote: »
    Community gardai?

Dont think it will / don't want it to come to community guard level - spoke with the dad of the house almost 2 weeks ago. So will approach him again. After that a permanent solution will arise.

Advertisement