Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Basketball Hoop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's sort of part of life when you live in an estate.

The way I see living on an estate is that if you give them an inch and they will take a mile. That’s why we have had to put up with horses, scramblers and drug dealing from one family for years because no one would take a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Just take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just cut the hoop off it.
    It's useless without a hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

My mothers neighbours had a similar issue to this, the hoop was attached to an ESB poll and the neighbours near the pole kept getting the ESB to take it down, the Dad who put it up would just attach another hoop and on it went for months.

The neighbours who complained were new and the other man had lived all his life on the road, the hoop wasnt that near the new neighbours house and they were out all day working and were childless.

The new neighbours moved on and the man who kept putting up the hoop committed suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

tretorn wrote: »
    My mothers neighbours had a similar issue to this, the hoop was attached to an ESB poll and the neighbours near the pole kept getting the ESB to take it down, the Dad who put it up would just attach another hoop and on it went for months.

The neighbours who complained were new and the other man had lived all his life on the road, the hoop wasnt that near the new neighbours house and they were out all day working and were childless.

The new neighbours moved on and the man who kept putting up the hoop committed suicide.

Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

tretorn wrote:

That's very sad but it was hardly over a basketball hoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Few kids playing basketball and the responses here range from destroying the hoop, calling the guards or getting in touch with a public representative. Bloody hell. You live in an estate and don't own the public roads, let the kids be ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

No, it was inexplicable, no warning, no indication at all.

I just think the rowing was all so pointless every time I pass the pole where the hoop was.

It had nothing to do with the basketball hoop, the people complaining never spoke to a single person living on the road and they eventually bought a detached house on its own site somewhere else. We grew up on that road and we drove the neighbours completely insane knocking on their doors and running away and organising treasure hunts which involved hiding clues in neighbours daffodils and tulips. we played football and rounders and hopscotch from very early morning to very late at night, these children who played the basketball are much better behaved and as I said the hoop was across the road from all the houses, it was all very petty.

The OPS situation does sound very different. I think I wouldnt do any more complaining, wait a few weeks and just get someone to remove it in the middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Those yokes can be hazordous when parking if you forget it’s there. You could report it to the council as illegal dumping/danger to kids/obstructing disabled, blind or elderly etc & see if they remove it: http://fixmystreet.ie/reports/South+Dublin/Lucan

Worth a try!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭sunrainmooncl

Buy a lock and put it on the hoop. If the ball can't fit in, it's useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Patww79 wrote: »
    Good fences make good neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

amtc wrote: »
    Community gardai?

My parents had a nightmare with children kicking ball against a garage door...my mam was recovering from a hip operation and not only the noise when trying to rest but the fear of being hit when she was trying to exercise.

Community guard came an explained.

If that was my mother I'd have had intervened long before calling any guard.
    I wasn't in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Have you considered moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Have you considered moving?

Dragged it a good bit down the road previously - before I'd confirmed who was the owner.
    It came back.

Also - its very heavy - this is basically a free-standing adult basketball hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Patww79 wrote: »
    Kids and neighbours need to be kept in line.

Shooting hoops in a public place is not out of line.

Befriend the kids. That way ehen they start to get up fo real mischeif they will do it a good long way away from your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They're kids, so best thing to do is for your and other adults to be seen using it, and they'll see it as uncool and never go near it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

My solution would be to dismantle it, at least get rid of the hoop and take it to the dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Diceicle wrote: »
    Dragged it a good bit down the road previously - before I'd confirmed who was the owner.
    It came back.

Also - its very heavy - this is basically a free-standing adult basketball hoop.

No no, I mean packing up, and moving out entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

titan18 wrote:
    They're kids, so best thing to do is for your and other adults to be seen using it, and they'll see it as uncool and never go near it again.

Fully agree with this, plus you may have fun and get to know the kids. Had an issue years ago with kids when I lived in an estate. My wall was being used as a rebounder for them, really ****ing annoying. Went out and joined in a game with the kids had a blast explained the annoyance 'young baby' not enjoying the noise. The guys agreed to stop at a certain time. Kids can be cool when given the chance. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Maybe you can start a charity or hold some local events to raise money and build a basketball court in the area. The youngsters would go there and play proper matches and as a bonus you will look like a great fella in the community.

Advertisement