Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsmith for Shotgun Repair

Options
  • 03-02-2018 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I am having issues with my semi auto shotgun the bolt will not go fully back to the point i can insert a round in if i have the action spring in.
    Where are gunsmith that can do shotguns preferably in the dublin area and what are the usual costs of gunsmithing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Small Arms Services did some work for me recently, couldn’t recommend him enough, in cork so courier be required, have a chat with him he’ll explain what’s needed,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

cosieman wrote: »
    I am having issues with my semi auto shotgun the bolt will not go fully back to the point i can insert a round in if i have the action spring in..
    Usual suspects for poor or failure to cycle is:
    1. Fouling
    2. Low pressure shot
    3. Mechanical issue
    4. Improper assembly
    Remedies include:
    1. Complete disassembly and thorough cleaning including gas port(s).
    2. Use a heavier load and see if the problem resolves itself.
    3. You could have an issue with some mechanical part. They are not complicated and can usually be sorted yourself.
    4. If you took the gun apart to clean it, its possible a part was incorrectly installed or even missing when you reassembled it. Long shot, but cover all bases.

When you say this only happens when you have the action spring in, do you mean the spring on the rear of the bolt or depending on the make/model into the stock? Do you mind me asking if this is the case then why was it out?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

With Cass on this one, clean the bejaysus out of it, make sure everything is where it should be when you reassemble and if that doesn't do the job start eliminating.

Is the bolt return spring moving freely, the spring may be damaged, is the trigger mechanism recocking smoothly, are the cartridges beeing fed properly from the magazine etc etc. .A modern semi auto doesn't require a lot of gunsmithing work when it comes to repairs. It's more a matter pushing out a few pins and having the correct head on a screwdriver than it is an actual gunsmithing job to replace parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

what make / model of semi-auto is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cosieman

Franchi Hunter 48/AL in 12 guage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Check the Governor ring.

That model Franchi has a Governor ring that can be turned with the flat side (light) or beveled side (heavy) facing towards the "end" or muzzle of the gun to alow for lighter load cartridges.

When you say you have this problem when the action spring is in can you specify what exactly you call the action spring and why is/was it out? I ask just so we're on the same page in term of parts, possible problems and fixes.

You say the bolt won't go all the way back to allow a round to be loaded. Does the bolt lock into position when pulled back or will it not reach this point?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Franchi 48Ll El Dorado owner here.:D.I think our friend's problem is in the counter recoil spring in the very light and flimsy wooden stock.

The gun is based on the Browning Auto5, which is probably one of the most robust semi-autos out there.Franchi decided to make it in a lighter version and unfortunately to do this compromised on weight where it is needed compared to the Browning design to soak up the punishment.Hence you have a light semi-auto that can break up pretty easily.

There is sort of like a piston connected to the bolt that rests in a cup and bolt type arrangement.This rests in a tube with a long[appx 2 foot] wire expansion spring.

When the recoil action takes place and the mechanism unlocks the bolt, the bolt compresses this spring and returns it to battery as it picks up a new shell on the lifter.This whole affair is also serving a double purpose as the stock bolt retainer so it gets quite a pounding with each shot fired. This spring can get lots of crud in it and rust, and as it is hidden it gets almost zero maintenance, so much so that one or two of the coils can get out of kilter in the tube, or just lose expansion and cause this whole mechanism to jam up. So pull the stock off as well and see whats going on in that tube.If that spring is bollixed, don't worry, there is a company in Limerick, called Limerick springs, and they made me for mine two replacement springs.

Don't bother going to Franchi.They along with Benelli are under the Beretta group, and they have the worst customer service known in the gun trade:mad: Even the Italians themselves hate dealing with them.

Another tip, make sure when you are finished you put the stock on TIGHT! And if you clean the 48L .Make sure of two things.Keep the main recoil spring on the mag tube WET with a medium to heavy gun oil.That and as Cass said set the collar correctly for the right load.This is the big secret to keeping Browning Auto 5s and Franchi48s running well.

Be that as it may, keep oil well away from the pistol grip! Even after cleaning, leave the gun muzzle down for a few hours to ensure this.Oil accumulates there and it soaks into the wood fibres.Which in turn are getting pounded by the recoil, and if the stock is any way loose, you will start to get a split stock on the pistol grip.Its a design fault with the 48L and we have gone thru at least 5 stocks per gun, both mine and its sister in Germany both have the same problem, and this also adds to the gun malfunctioning.Which is usually the short stroke spring problem.Stocks are hard to get for the 48L too.You will be looking at handmade to replace.

You need if you don't have it a little metal spacer plate that goes between the stock and the receiver.Franchi brought that improvement out on its successor the Hunte model.Keep an eye out for one or get one made.It is cheaper than smashed Franchi stocks.

Finally, mine is more a gun safe queen these days.I keep it more for sentimental reasons than shooting.I only run light loads for clay and pheasant, and because of its lightweight design and stock problems, I wouldn't advise anything heavier than that either.IOW its a lightweight SA upland game gun,not a duck basher or slug thrower.
    Hope this helps
    Grizz.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Enjoy.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Hi when the bolt is pulled back it does not reach the lock position i refer to the action spring to the spring that is held within the stock i had it out because the shotgun was quite old when i got it and it had not been fully cleaned in years.

You are right, it is called the action spring on the parts list.
    On, all shots or on last shot hold open?When you say it doesn't lock back, does this happen when you cycle the action by hand or just when it is fired?
    If it is firing,extracting, and ejecting and reloading normally.Then it isn't the action spring. but more like a problem with the bolt hold open mechanism.
    If it is, I'd change out the action spring first and see how you go. It sounds remarkably like the problem I had like mine, except I could see the kinked coil in my action spring...

• Advertisement

The bolt will not go back to the point where i can insert a round in the chamberif the action spring is in the stock i tried replacing the retainer to see if that fixed the problem it did not i can remove the spring and work the shotgun manual by pressing the side button and coking the bolt. I will try getting a action spring on ebay to see how that works does my problem seem similar to the problem you had with your franchi. My franchi is a 48/al 12 guage hunter.

It's your action spring!:)
    Save yourself some greif and talk to these lads.
    http://www.shannoncoiledsprings.ie That's what I have in mine.They probably have them off the shelf, as they said it is a pretty common spring.

The 48L El Dorado is the exact same as the 48 L, or the 48 L Hunter.Just fancier engraving and blueing and a leaf gold plated trigger.:)

Advertisement