Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entering Irish accountancy from a different academic background...and a different cou

• 03-02-2018 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey all,

As a short note of introduction, I'm a foreigner without any business/accountancy background (I have an IT-related degree) so excuse my cluelessness. I'm seriously considering entering the field of accountancy because I think it would be perfect for my academic aptitudes - strong analytical logic skills and attention to detail. I'm also great at math/statistics but I understand accountancy requires only low level math skills. I am however a bit worried I might not be the right "personality type" for the job. I am geeky and artsy and a major contrast to the typical business/corporate persona. So I guess my question is...are there a lot of geeks/introverts/shy people in Irish accountancy or is it mostly "business types"? Could I succeed in the field even though I would never come across as one of those types? Will I be able to find like-minded colleagues?

My second question is, in a small country like Ireland, is there a market for very niched/nontraditional accounting positions? I'm particularly interested in entertainment accounting, accounting information systems and real estate accounting (I gather the latter would be handy everywhere).

Third question, do you think it will be harder to enter the field as a foreigner? Would employers prefer locals? Of course, they're not supposed to discriminate, but what happens in practice?

Last question (for now), will age be a factor? Will it be extremely hard to enter the field after you hit 30?

Cheers and thanks a lot in advance!

Advertisement