Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This is the most recent announcement from Melt festival happening in the same weekend, possibly some from there as well.

The xx, Florence + The Machine, Fever Ray, Tyler the Creator, Nina Kraviz, Mura Masa, Odesza, Jon Hopkins (Live), Ben Klock, Modeselektor (DJ) B2B Apparat (DJ), Cigarettes After Sex, Little Dragon, The Internet, Badbadnotgood, Princess Nokia, Modeselektor (DJ), The Black Madonna, Rin, Mount Kimbie, Alma, Fatima Yamaha, Parcels, Fischerspooner, The Blaze, Ellen Allien, Westbam, WhoMadeWho, Amelie Lens, Sevdaliza, Andhim, Adana Twins, Adriatique, George Fitzgerald (Live), Hundreds, IAMDDB, Rex Orange County, Tune-Yards, Erobique, Roman Flügel, Robag Wruhme, The Hacker pres. Amato (Live), Nastia, Honey Dijon, Zhu, Kali Uchis, Anna Haleta, Answer Code Request (Live), Antigone, Binh, Carlos Valdes, Cem, Claire Morgan, Cleveland, Coely, Cormac, DJ Seinfeld, Dana Ruh, Efdemin, Fatima Al Qadiri, Faka (Live), Gurr, HAAi, Inga Mauer, Jayda G, Jon Hester, Junglepussy, Kedr Livanskiy, Kid Simius, Kim Ann Foxman, Klee, Kuso Gvki, Layton Giordani, La Fleur, Lanark Artefax (Live), Leo Pol (Live), Lucy, Marc Miroir, Mavi Phoenix, Mirella Kroes, Moscoman, Moses Sumney, [Phase] (Live), Or:la, Project Pablo, Rone, Sedef Adasi, Siriusmo, Smerz, Somewhen, Superorganism, Tijana T, Tommy Cash, Victor, Vincent Neumann, Yellow Days, Zenker Brothers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Snow Patrol are playing Portugal the 12th, Madrid the 13th so this could be a good fit for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

https://twitter.com/todayfm/status/961920516335591424 Today FM apparently have some sort of line up announcement at 11.55 on their FB page!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Claireyy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/todayfm/status/961920516335591424 Today FM apparently have some sort of line up announcement at 11.55 on their FB page!

with more being announced this afternoon on the lunch time show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

J Cole, Migos, Post Malone, Travis Scott, Anderson Paak & the Free Nationals, ASAP Rocky, Solange, Diplo, Tyler the Creator and Solange.

https://twitter.com/longitudefest/status/961932650058584064

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

With the exception of anderson paak and solange this fest looks **** to me.

An RnB fans dream come true but I liked when this fest was primarily Band driven. I'll be at Bilbao BBk so at least this rules out these acts for booking over there. Phew

The trio confirmed for the Sunday - Anderson Paak, Solange and Sampha - are excellent but I wouldn't be interested in any of the rest.

Had a few good days at Longitude over the years but will likely skip it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If you like hip-hop, this is a big festival for you.

No Indie / Rock acts whatsoever is a bit weird, no? is Diplo the only non-hip-hop act?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

FitzShane wrote: »

No Indie / Rock acts whatsoever is a bit weird, no? is Diplo the only non-hip-hop act?

Was thinking the exact same. Majority of acts all seem to be the one hip hop/ r n b etc. Nothing at all for Indie rock fans.

It used be a pretty clear day split - one pop, one rap/r&b, one indie/rock, didn't it? The National, Alt-J etc headlined days at the same festival as Kendrick Lamar and others iir.

Last year seemed to go more towards the all pop/r&b angle and this year seems to be doubling down on that.

TBH, it probably makes more sense - it would be much easier to sell weekend passes to this festival than one with three very distinct strands of music, I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

what a very poor line up imo

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DylanB85

What an absolutely horrible line up haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I wouldn't say it's horrible , but wow Longitude have really set their stall out there as a balls out hip-hop rnb festival...!

Sampha, Anderson Paak. on the Sunday is very good to me, and I'd like to see Tyler the Creator and Ibeyi...

I really don't see the appeal of Migos and other trap rappers, but it's what's hot now. It was only a matter of time before a festival really took advantage of the love for all things hip-hop right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Yeah not for me but I think that’s quite strong for the genre they’re going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Jesus that's a shocking line up compared to the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Subjective I guess but thats an insanely good line up to me

To people saying this is a horrible lineup: This will be the fastest selling Longitude ever, I guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

MattD wrote: »
    To people saying this is a horrible lineup: This will be the fastest selling Longitude ever, I guarantee it.

That could heavily be attributed to the fact that it's all one genre. People who like the genre will see it better value to buy the weekend pass rather than 1 day passes and the numbers will rack up that way. 1 person is then part of the allotted attendance allowed for 3 days rather that 1 day.

I think it may be a younger crowd attending overall maybe.

That could heavily be attributed to the fact that it's all one genre. People who like the genre will see it better value to buy the weekend pass rather than 1 day passes and the numbers will rack up that way. 1 person is then part of the allotted attendance allowed for 3 days rather that 1 day.

I think it may be a younger crowd attending overall maybe.

That's fair, I just think it's funny that people are saying the lineup's awful when it's filled with some of the most popular artists from the most popular genre today. Makes one seem very one eyed and oblivious of what the music scene is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭CWF

That isn't a testament to the stregth of the line up,, could be down to the fact that the previous years were very good, more money floating around etc.etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus I didn't think they could get worse than last year, maybe it's a personal thing as I have zero interest in hip hop. On the bright side we can rule all of those out for Picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

are they going for the RnB niche?
    marley park used to be a handy gig for us, but skipping this

what change does that make? just means there's a pent up demand for RnB in this country, and happy for them.

But i'm selfishly ruing the loss of a handy gig..

That's fair, I just think it's funny that people are saying the lineup's awful when it's filled with some of the most popular artists from the most popular genre today. Makes one seem very one eyed and oblivious of what the music scene is today.
    I agree that it is an extremely popular and (festival wise) badly underrepresented genre.. strange to shift an existing successful festival from one genre completely

Mr.S wrote: »
    It’s still strange to see so much of one genre on the first bill, no doubt it will sell well, but you can understand why it won’t go down well with a lot of people.

I totally understand people being disappointed with the lineup and not interested in the genre.

But the shouts of "horrible lineup!" "never even heard of any of these!" is exactly the same as the people on the Electric Picnic Facebook page saying 'Portishead? Never heard of them!! Arcade Fire and Beck = boring Dad rock' etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Arcade Fire are boring dad rock though.

Will be interested to see how this sells. Haven't heard of a load of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Couldn't have dreamed of a better line up as a rap / hip hop fan!!

I do understand the disappointment though from others. Not much variety of any in terms of genre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So, somebody finally thought of the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Just booked the days of work and I'm absolutely buzzing for the Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's not a line-up for me and that's okay. Looks like they're turning it into a hip-hop festival and aiming for the 18-28 market, which they should be able to sell-out to on the strength of the head-liners alone.

Seeing Belly there is weird though, I'd love to see them live again but wouldn't go just for them.

Advertisement