Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

It's not a line-up for me and that's okay. Looks like they're turning it into a hip-hop festival and aiming for the 18-28 market, which they should be able to sell-out to on the strength of the head-liners alone.

Seeing Belly there is weird though, I'd love to see them live again but wouldn't go just for them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they mean the rapper Belly

https://youtu.be/x6Vf-IhQRiQ

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

MattD wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say they mean the rapper Belly

https://youtu.be/x6Vf-IhQRiQ

Yeah think you're right. Thought it was weird having a 90s shoe-gazing band in among that line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think they're firmly re-positioning Longitude as a hip-hop/R&B festival which, let's face it, is what they youth are listening to nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

We all know how Oxegen ended up when they went down a similar route in 2013...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

It's an excellent lineup for hip-hop/R&B fans - seriously strong acts and the promoters know that they'll be the ones that sell tickets, hence why they were announced first. To those that say they're disappointed, they're not going, etc - the festival is six months away and there will be tons of bands and DJ's announced between now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think it's a quality lineup. Certainly rap heavy, but I'm genuinely surprised that they are able to get so many big names into the first announcement.

Add a few electronic acts to that and I couldn't ask for more.

I wasn't a fan of the initial lineup at all last year and it grew on me with the additions over time. Same could happen for people disappointed with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

J. Cole was a great one to get. Id nearly buy a day ticket just for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MadYaker wrote: »
    J. Cole was a great one to get. Id nearly buy a day ticket just for him.

Saw him in the 3 arena in October. He was excellent live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People are so narrow minded, it frustrates me. People on Facebook just assume it’s a sh!t lineup because they don’t recognize the names but they never consider the fact that maybe, just maybe there’s good music out there that they haven’t heard yet :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

People are so narrow minded, it frustrates me. People on Facebook just assume it’s a sh!t lineup because they don’t recognize the names but they never consider the fact that maybe, just maybe there’s good music out there that they haven’t heard yet :O

I did consider that possibility, but then I realised that was nonsense. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't know, I think the frustration comes from the fact that there is absolutely no variety in the lineup and it solely focuses on one genre of music now, which was not the case in the past. Over the years Longitude has done quite a good job of catering for most types of music fans (pop, hip hop, dance music, indie, rock, etc) but now they seem to be putting all their eggs in the one basket. I'm sure it will still be a success and will sell out but I think people who have gone over the past few years and now won't have a valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Mr.S wrote: »
    Strange direction for the festival to cater solely to one genre, I’m sure it will sell well though. Look at Kendrick, Stormzy etc all sell out shows

One genre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I think the frustration comes from the fact that there is absolutely no variety in the lineup and it solely focuses on one genre of music now, which was not the case in the past. Over the years Longitude has done quite a good job of catering for most types of music fans (pop, hip hop, dance music, indie, rock, etc) but now they seem to be putting all their eggs in the one basket.

There will be dozens and dozens of acts from all the genres you mentioned announced over the next few months - why are you and so many other people having serious difficulty understanding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    There will be dozens and dozens of acts from all the genres you mentioned announced over the next few months - why are you and so many other people having serious difficulty understanding this?

Maybe on the smaller stages we will get some, but it's looking like the main stage and Heineken tent are going to be predominantly hip hop orientated, and you would guess all of the headliners/sub headliners have been announced already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Latitude Festival in the UK has just announced its line-up for the same weekend as Longitude:

HEADLINERS: The Killers - Solange - Alt J

PLUS:

The Vaccines
    Wolf Alice
    Rag ‘n’ Bone Man
    Jessie Ware
    James
    Mogwai
    Jon Hopkins
    The Charlatans
    Benjamin Clementine
    The Breeders
    Alvvays
    Tune-Yards
    Fickle Friends
    Bomba Estéreo

• Registered Users Posts: 20 llarrocnairda

So after seeing the Latitude Festival announcemen with The Killers and Alt-J headlining, I can't see that many acts coming over, though it's not impossible to see Jessie Ware, Benjamin Clementine, Tune-Yards or Fickle Friends, one of Rag'n'Bone Man/Wolf Alice/The Vaccines or alt-J headlining the tents, but it's hard to see how's they'll fit with Longitude's hip-hop direction. https://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up-2018?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Owned_Social&utm_campaign=First_Announcement_12Feb&utm_content=line_up_poster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Curiously there is a growing Longitude thread in Afterhours as well.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 im6foot4

I'm betting on Rae Sremmurd, Earthgang and Playboi Carti to be announced in the second round of artists

im6foot4 wrote: »
    I'm betting on Rae Sremmurd, Earthgang and Playboi Carti to be announced in the second round of artists

Rae Sremmurd and SZA are rumoured to be on the lineup.

The lineup for Lovebox might give more clues re. further acts to be announced, with Childish Gambino, N.E.R.D, SZA, Mura Masa, Action Bronson, Big Boi and a heap of electronic acts all possibilities to turn up at Longitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Got em ;) yaaas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's proving difficult on the three.ie presale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭finbarrk

2 day, Friday/Saturday tickets don't seem to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

finbarrk wrote: »
    2 day, Friday/Saturday tickets don't seem to be available.

they're already sold out from Pre sale.
    Will be on general sale on Friday. Tickets usually sells out within 5 mins of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

Anything to do with the Friday, barring the 3 day tickets, were gone within 5 minutes or less of them going up. You could have your choice of the rest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'd say Fever Ray would look out of place at this festival ha ha.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 im6foot4

Anyone have a rough idea of how many tickets were allocated for pre-sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

SZA added to Sunday with Solange, AP and Sampha. That's a lovely lovely lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Knex. wrote: »
    I think it's a quality lineup. Certainly rap heavy, but I'm genuinely surprised that they are able to get so many big names into the first announcement.

Add a few electronic acts to that and I couldn't ask for more.

I wasn't a fan of the initial lineup at all last year and it grew on me with the additions over time. Same could happen for people disappointed with this.

I think it's a great line up and very cutting edge acts. No Rejjee Snow tho, unless I missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heard an advert for this on radio the other day, and it finally struck me how old I was!!

I think I knew one act.

Advertisement