Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy salt for water softener?

• 03-02-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭

As above, where to get the salt cubes for the water softener. Got a few bags free when was installed so first time buying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Dairygold COOP superstores Raheen. Just beside the Toyota dealership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mid West Tyres on the Dock Rd, beside BOC Gases. Large range of salt incl. granular and cube water softener salt.

Also any co-op should have it in stock. Avoid places like the hardware chain stores - found them very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

McMahons on the dock road were 50 cent per bag cheaper than Dairygold last time I looked. Both sell Broxo brand.

McMahons like most proper builder and trade retailers close at 1 on a Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Dairygold Coop in Raheen

25kg bag of Broxo is around €8 or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭893bet

Great thank! Lots of options there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

Faha fuels beside Singland Motors have it too. About same price as the Coop. Handier if you are Castletroy side of town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Broxo salt that is sold in most of the places listed above is not great and leaves a lot of sediment in the bottom of the brine tank. The best that I have used, and recommended by my installer, is Axal Pro and the only place I have found it is in McKeoghs in Ballina. It is about the same price as Broxo. I'd love to know if anywhere closer to Limerick sells it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I've found over the years some installers talk a lot of nonsense when it comes to water softener salt.

I normally use sea salt water softener tablets/cubes from a local co-op which has been solar evaporated and so contains the natural minerals occurring in the environment and these over time stain the bottom of the tank. The salt is food grade quality and never had a problem with it as regards sediment.

I believe Broxo is a mined and cleaned salt and never heard anything negative about it as regards sediment, only that it can be more expensive than other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

The Cush wrote: »
    I've found over the years some installers talk a lot of nonsense when it comes to water softener salt.

I normally use sea salt water softener tablets/cubes from a local co-op which has been solar evaporated and so contains the natural minerals occurring in the environment and these over time stain the bottom of the tank. The salt is food grade quality and never had a problem with it as regards sediment.

I believe Broxo is a mined and cleaned salt and never heard anything negative about it as regards sediment, only that it can be more expensive than other brands.

Myself and the brother in law both have water softeners installed. They were the same systems installed in the same week about 5 years ago. We both were recommended to use Axal Pro - I kept using it and had no problems he moved to broxo and had problems after a few months with sediment. There is definitely a difference.

Advertisement