Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any place in Dublin to wash your bicycle?

Options
  • 03-02-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Recently I moved from house to apartment. My question is if somebody knows where I can wash my bicycle in Dublin or even better if somebody knows something around Templeogue/Terenure/Rathfarnham D6/D14. ( Please don't include gas stations ) :)))

Thank you!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Biking.ie in Ticknock. €5 including coffee and a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Wash it in the bath if there is one in your apartment. It's what I do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Clogs up your drains if you wash it in the bath. I had to do it it for months. I got a knapsack sprayer from screwfix.ie and wash it out on the footpath now, it's a great job! You could get away with a small 5l garden one though, the knapsack sprayer has a 16l capacity, and I used less than a third of it the last time I washed the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

nee wrote: »
    Clogs up your drains if you wash it in the bath.

Depends on how dirty you let it get between washes :p

• Advertisement

Depends on how dirty you let it get between washes :p

Wash it after every wet or damp or dirty ride. Roads are filthy this time of year, serious amount of crap going down the drain. Big lumps of muck. Drains slowed way down, can't keep doing it.
    I dream about muck free roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

I have one of those; it's the dogs danglies. Very compact (everything fits into the unit itself when not in use), with enough battery & reservoir to clear two very muddy mountain bikes after a day on the trails, and the trail dog whenever he makes an appearance; not that he looks terribly appreciative of being cleaned off.

It's not a power hose, so anyone expecting to clean the driveway and car with it too will be sorely disappointed. It's more a decent spray with some adjustment capability, ideal for bikes & pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do you have an underground car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you have an underground car park?

Yes I do, but the guy who takes care of building is OCD maniac :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nee wrote: »
    ... I got a knapsack sprayer from screwfix.ie and wash it out on the footpath now, it's a great job! You could get away with a small 5l garden one though...
    Tried this for the first time today and was seriously impressed. I've had a 5L garden sprayer in the garage for years which I use for weedkilling. It never occurred to me to use it on the bike until I read your post yesterday.

After this morning's club ride, the bike was caked in mud. Filled the sprayer with hot water and a bit of shampoo and it took all of the heavy crap off in a few minutes using only about 3 litres of water. It's especially effective around the brake pads and calipers and on the wheels/tyres. I'll let it dry off and shine it up later for tomorrow's ride.

(Washing a bike is not ideal but I've got a heated garage so the components tend to dry out much more than in a standard garage/shed).

• Advertisement

Yeah it's savage.
    I'm considering downsizing to one of those 5l garden ones, I thought it would need way more water than it actually does.

Tried this for the first time today and was seriously impressed. I've had a 5L garden sprayer in the garage for years which I use for weedkilling. It never occurred to me to use it on the bike until I read your post yesterday.

After this morning's club ride, the bike was caked in mud. Filled the sprayer with hot water and a bit of shampoo and it took all of the heavy crap off in a few minutes using only about 3 litres of water. It's especially effective around the brake pads and calipers and on the wheels/tyres. I'll let it dry off and shine it up later for tomorrow's ride.

(Washing a bike is not ideal but I've got a heated garage so the components tend to dry out much more than in a standard garage/shed).

Can you do a video? :)

Weedkiller thingy for the win. My other half jokes that I'm using a "Flintstones Karcher" to wash the bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

i want to start maintaining my bikes a bit better so something like this might be a runner.

i already have a power washer (110 bar) which i presume would be way too powerful?! don't want to be stripping the paint like...

how about the jet setting on a normal hozelock nozzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i want to start maintaining my bikes a bit better so something like this might be a runner.

i already have a power washer (110 bar) which i presume would be way too powerful?! don't want to be stripping the paint like...

how about the jet setting on a normal hozelock nozzle?

A garden hose is more than adequate. If you do use a power hose, set the pressure to it’s minimum setting.

We’re not pro’s... unless you intend getting a new bike every 12 months I’d stay clear of power washers.

Remember, it’s not just bearings that you can damage... power washers will wash all lube off the chain, calipers can sieze up, water will be forced into brake cables and if you have Di2 your asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

07Lapierre wrote: »
    unless you intend getting a new bike every 12 months

that's pretty much been my modus operandi the last few years, but not for reasons of water damage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have this on my bike https://www.chemicalguys.com/Pete_s_53_Carnauba_Paste_Wax_8_oz_p/wac_300.htm

I'm sure a cheaper wax would work too but I use this on the car, makes cleaning a lot easier, perfectly safe to use on carbon too, the water dispenser in a petrol station is good enough with a good wax. For those with a pressure washer have a look at a snowfoam lance (literally squirts foam out but for it to work you need the pressure washer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

As new and Wish one Ash have said a sub-€10 weed sprayer is all you need, along with a good shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭secman

I tend to use Muck Off spray to get the heavy grit and crap off, leave it for about 2 min and then use a large soft car wash brush with warm water and a bit of car wash shampoo. A final rince with a garden hose and as I don't have the luxury of a heated garage ! Kitchen towel it dry..... A quick spray of silicone all over.. 10 min max job before my own shower and wash .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

For the record, here's why you don't want to use a jetwasher on your bike - customer's 8 month-old bike - the bearings and the cone were ruined, and the freehub was rumbling horribly.
    New bearings and a new cone and a flush-out of the freehub rescued things for now, but he's up for a new wheel in a few months.

Rs4OHOv.jpg

Problem here with weather in Ireland is that around Nov-Feb is the worst time for commuting to work . You can service your bike change everything and after 2 months your bike will look rusted and dirty after few months commuting to work. It happened to me last and this year. I've prepared my bicycle in October (deep service and cleaning) for winter time and in begining of December my bike looked that I didn't give a f..k about him and i lube and clean my bicycle regulary at least once a week. So if you don't have garden and hose you are doomed. Any advice how to keep your bike rust free and clean in winter time if you are living in apartment. And if you have rust on chain. cassete back and front and frame is there any possibility to derust them? Thanx :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lil_kev wrote: »
    ... And if you have rust on chain. cassete back and front and frame is there any possibility to derust them? Thanx :D
    If you wipe the chain with an oily rag after every wet ride it shouldn't rust. Use chain specific wet lube also rather than 'ordinary' oil.

It's probably only surface rust on the chain - if it is very rusty, steep it in diesel overnight.

If your bike is kept in a heated apartment, it should be easier as it will be much drier than having to leave it in a cold/damp shed. What sort of frame do you have - Carbon Fibre or Aluminium doesn't rust

If you wipe the chain with an oily rag after every wet ride it shouldn't rust. Use chain specific wet lube also rather than 'ordinary' oil.

It's probably only surface rust on the chain - if it is very rusty, steep it in diesel overnight.

If your bike is kept in a heated apartment, it should be easier as it will be much drier than having to leave it in a cold/damp shed. What sort of frame do you have - Carbon Fibre or Aluminium doesn't rust

Hi and Thank you for your reply. It's alloy frame hmm maybe it is just dirty from mud. Unfotunately I'm sharing Apt. with more people so i need to keep my bicycle in garage. I got wet lube but didn't think about to wipe chain with oily rag after every ride :). Thanks!. One more thing if I let's say I wipe my chain with oily rag after every ride will my chain collect more dirt from every ride and should I clean chain more often on a weekly basis or once is enough? Cheers! :)

Advertisement