Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What voltage and current for electrical switch?

• 03-02-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm building a board which uses an electromechanical relay to switch on and off a gas boiler. I'm trying to work out the required voltage and current for the relay. Does this depend on the rating of the boiler which is rated 170W, 230VAC and has a 3Amp fuse? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm building a board which uses an electromechanical relay to switch on and off a gas boiler. I'm trying to work out the required voltage and current for the relay. Does this depend on the rating of the boiler which is rated 170W, 230VAC and has a 3Amp fuse? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

The contacts on the relay should be able to switch 230V AC min. Your probably not just switching the boiler, your probably switching the circulation pump too. As the pump can have an in-rush current your best to over spec the current rating, 10-15A should be fine.

The coil voltage for the relay will depend on what you want to drive it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

The contacts on the relay should be able to switch 230V AC min. Your probably not just switching the boiler, your probably switching the circulation pump too. As the pump can have an in-rush current your best to over spec the current rating, 10-15A should be fine.

The coil voltage for the relay will depend on what you want to drive it from.

Great advice, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭G-Man

Are you doing a remote or thermostat switch on and off. ?

Boilers generally need to be independently powered independent of timer or thermostat and control their own switch off and on, so that they can regulate their cooling. Check the connection diagram from your boiler and recommended thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

Thanks. Yes, I studied my Baxi boiler wiring diagram very carefully. The boiler is independently powered. DublinDilbert was spot on, 230V and rated 10-15A.

Advertisement