Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in the cockpit? Is this still a thing?

Options
  • 03-02-2018 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I have a three year old who is obsessed with planes. In the current heightened security world can a kid get a look into a working cockpit these days.

Will probably be flying to Sicily in September, would aerlingus or Ryanair be more likely to help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Would you not just take him to an air museum instead? It's highly unlikely you'll be let near a cockpit, if anything it'd probably look suspicious..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Talk to the cabin crew on the ground before the flight. They might not be able to get you in to the flight deck mid flight, but possibly a hello and a quick look on the ground can be done. Most are more than willing to oblige.

I was in a few cockpits in flight as a kid as my dad who is into aviation would ask if i could go up and he'd go with me :D, the pilots always said yes but this was in the 90s when they wouldn't even lock the cockpit door. It all changed after 9/11 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Its never an issue with EI to politely ask after landing

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

eldamo wrote: »
    I have a three year old who is obsessed with planes. In the current heightened security world can a kid get a look into a working cockpit these days.

Will probably be flying to Sicily in September, would aerlingus or Ryanair be more likely to help?

Not allowed in flight in most places these days, but crews are usually very happy to accommodate on the ground if they have time.

They’re more likely to have time after the flight rather than before, and more likely again after a flight back to the aircraft’s base rather than after the outbound leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Would you not just take him to an air museum instead? It's highly unlikely you'll be let near a cockpit, if anything it'd probably look suspicious..

Stupidest post ive seen here in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son and I were the first onto an Aer Lingus plane a couple of years back, the cockpit was open, and as my son looked interested, the crew invited him in to have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This is really one of the saddest changes that occurred post 9-11 (In Europe)  
    My first flight was Dublin to Shannon as a 12 year old when I was allowed in the cockpit of a 737 for the entire flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

smurfjed wrote: »
    This is really one of the saddest changes that occurred post 9-11 (In Europe)  
    My first flight was Dublin to Shannon as a 12 year old when I was allowed in the cockpit of a 737 for the entire flight.

It's a shame the cockpit is now off-limits during flight. I enjoyed a wonderful trip from LHR to JFK on the flightdeck jump-seat of a BOAC VC10 many moons ago and I'll never forget the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

We get kids (and big kids) coming into the flight deck all the time once disembarking.
    Just politely ask the cabin crew who will in turn ask the Captain's permission.
    Most crew will have no issue and be happy to show you the systems, switches, lights etc and even get a photo if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I remember being on a flight many years ago and the pilot announced that everyone was invited to the cockpit start from the front row and working backwards.

I think all of that changed after 9/11 sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Sat in the cockpit coming into Dublin pre 11 September and it was a great experience. Shame it's not available anymore for the kids of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Lucky enough to be in a commercial aircraft cockpit twice.

Once was a Manx atp into Kerry. I was there most of the way from Luton.

But stand out one was flying to Berlin in a ba737... interesting because the air corridor through east Germany was still there. There was a check captain on board .... but when it came to landing he sat on a shelf and they let me stay in the jumpseat .... quite a bit of fun because it was very foggy...

OP... just ask and I am sure they will oblige during disembarking

Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its not an extremely tight turn and the flight deck crew are in a good mood its normal for anyone to be let in after landing, adults or kids. Got a quick tour on an MD11 with KLM a few years ago myself.

I've only seen an in-flight visit once since 9/11 and it was an unfortunately visibly severely ill kid on a domestic flight to Billund (Legoland) which, legality or not, I don't think anyone is going to object to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I remember being on a flight many years ago and the pilot announced that everyone was invited to the cockpit start from the front row and working backwards.

I think all of that changed after 9/11 sadly.
    Approx 18 years ago (in a former life!) I was crew on a flight to Lapland, the captain did the same. Took about 90 mins to process 6 at a time into the cockpit.
    Certainly passed a good part of the 4 hour flight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

thanks all, will chance the arm and not be pushy on the ground,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Do ask on landing, last year we were on a charter to Majorca and asked when getting off. Kids were allowed in and captain was great with them-allowed them sit in his seat, even adjusted it to get them nearer the controls etc, chatted to them for a good few minutes. Suppose it’s just luck on the day but worth asking anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Bring any air-minded kid to Atlantic Airventure in Shannon. It's a brilliant place for kids to see general aviation aircraft/combat aircraft/commercial cockpits and loads of related kit, including flight simulators (GA and 737)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Or you could come fly with me as we don't have a cockpit door:) (However getting my bosses permission might be kinda difficult:))

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

We were getting off a Ryanair flight in Dublin 4 years ago and my son who was 15 at the time asked if he could have a look in the cockpit, the crew were fantastic and allowed him to sit in the Captain's seat while they took a photo with our camera :)

022a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Comhra wrote: »
    It's a shame the cockpit is now off-limits during flight. I enjoyed a wonderful trip from LHR to JFK on the flightdeck jump-seat of a BOAC VC10 many moons ago and I'll never forget the experience.

The VC10 is a cracking aircraft. There's one on static display in Duxford with the BOAC livery. Despite its age, its still an aircraft with great presence. :)

Advertisement