Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking 4790K

Options
  • 03-02-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Any point when the main use is gaming at 3440x1440 on a 1080? I'm thinking a minimal increase in FPS if at all.

Thoughts? TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For gaming, overclock away.

I'm going to be starting my journey in the land of higher heat FPS soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For gaming, overclock away.

I'm going to be starting my journey in the land of higher heat FPS soon.

Reckon it will make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FPS will scale relatively linearly with the overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

currently using this cpu and there is little risk to overclocking as long as you dont go crazy. make sure you have a good cooler. I had and 120mm AIO which wasnt enough. went to beefy air cooler and it overclocks to 4.8ghz with no problems at all for 24/7 use.

Sadly Nada, no go :(

She won't even lock at 4.4GHz for me on all cores. If I give it enough voltage (1.26) to hit 4.5GHz it passes 90C which is 100% fan on my H100i so it's overwhelming the cooler. Shame but then I did got for a quiet case over airflow so...

Sitting at stock now hitting about 75C under the real bench stress test. I used to get more out of her but must have given it a bit too much abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sadly Nada, no go :(

She won't even lock at 4.4GHz for me on all cores. If I give it enough voltage (1.26) to hit 4.5GHz it passes 90C which is 100% fan on my H100i so it's overwhelming the cooler. Shame but then I did got for a quiet case over airflow so...

Sitting at stock now hitting about 75C under the real bench stress test. I used to get more out of her but must have given it a bit too much abuse.

I don't understand, your first post in this thread was any point in overclocking and then this post I quoted you said what I have in bold. If you ran it at stock for years you should have no problem overclocking it. I don't know about those chips but 1.26v doesn't look high to me though as I said I have no experience with these. Look up a overclocking guide for a 4790k and see what they are using.

I don't understand, your first post in this thread was any point in overclocking and then this post I quoted you said what I have in bold. If you ran it at stock for years you should have no problem overclocking it. I don't know about those chips but 1.26v doesn't look high to me though as I said I have no experience with these. Look up a overclocking guide for a 4790k and see what they are using.

I used to overclock as a matter of course. I asked if it was worth doing when operating at high resolution as my understanding was that you'd always be limited by gpu.

Chip used to run at 4.6/4.7 but I'm on. A cheaper mobo now in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I run mine at 1.33v 24/7 with no issues. but again i wouldnt if the temps werent so low.

Advertisement