Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet in new housing developments

• 03-02-2018 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Most new housing estates mention in the brochure that houses are pre wired for internet. In general does anyone know where are they wired too exactly. I was in a show house recently and couldn't find a central point where all the cables came back to. I asked the estate agent and they said VM/Eir hook you up outside at the box and then when you put your cable into the port in the wall the internet just works. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Sounds about right. Normally the wiring is already put in, depending on where the housing estate is this could be copper or fibre. You pick your supplier & give them a call & they "turn you on" (ooh err matron!).

Rooms in the house will have the ports already in each room, just plug & play.

In our first house in Drogheda, it was wired by eircom, just called them from the mobile & they gave us our new number over the phone & it was good to go. Had a router bought, plugged it in & there was the wifi (crappy speeds but it was 15 years ago. and in Drogheda too).

I was in one of the new developments in clongriffin in Dublin last year & they had a central point under the stairs which had a small switch & bank of electricity sockets (for new equipment) where you could hook up & distribute over cat 5 or 6 throughout the house. I liked that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

My current house was built in 2000, when I moved in about ten years ago UPC/VM came out and ran a cable from the box outside to a point on the wall in the kitchen. There's a coaxial cable then going from the point on the wall to the back of the VM hub. I then ran Cat 5 cable to a switch which has 3 Cat 5 cables running to different points.
    The show house I looked at is wired with Cat 6 and has an ethernet port in every room. I just couldn't find where all these points ran too and the estate agent implied they didn't that you just plugged in to the ethernet port and they worked once VM or Eir had you turned on.
    Wasn't sure if he didn't know what he was talking about or was that me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I guess every development will be different.

In the development I’m looking at, there are blanking plates beside every TV point. There’s cat6 behind these so can be used for phone or networking. The cables all run back to the utility room, along with all the alarm cables. So just need to terminate/patch the network cables as needed.

I'm presuming I just missed it and the cables do run back to a focal point somewhere, I'll have to have another look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The cables from each socket point simply have to go to a central point somewhere and that is the case no matter who does the job or where the house is located. The only thing that can change is where that central point is located.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The cables from each socket point simply have to go to a central point somewhere and that is the case no matter who does the job or where the house is located. The only thing that can change is where that central point is located.

Depends. If they wired it for phone, then they can and in some cases do, loop the cable to each point. For phone that's fine, for network that's pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Depends. If they wired it for phone, then they can and in some cases do, loop the cable to each point. For phone that's fine, for network that's pointless.
    In this instance house is not wired for LAN and you(OP) relay on WiFi only from entry point or CAT's running surface, etc, etc.

Why would you pre wire a house for Internet only to loop it to then have to rely on WiFi, if that's what they have done the mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Only an idiot living in the 90s would wire a house now solely for phone..

The spec in the brochure says "wired for TV, Phone, Broadband and intruder alarm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

The spec in the brochure says "wired for TV, Phone, Broadband and intruder alarm"
    Just to clarify: developer didn't lie claiming that is wired for Broadband - as long you got phone line or coax in it is correct statement as these two are used as media to deliver such services.
    What you actually looking to confirm is : "the house wired for LAN or Ethernet". This would mean...
    Again, agent could be not aware of this detail and central distribution point could be there somewhere.
    Usually this would be utility room, hot press (rare), but also could be in some service cabinet fitted on external wall as per agent in OP(like ESB meter or cable TV panel) especially if it is FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) - EIR would be installing spec equipment(expensive) providing you sign up, and most likely would like to have access to it under control.
    I only can speculate - you can try to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

lawred2 wrote: »
    Only an idiot living in the 90s would wire a house now solely for phone..

Yep and yet it happens. Frequently.

Advertisement