Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilmartin Road, Tuam

Options
  • 04-02-2018 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Anyone know what they’re doing to the houses on Gilmartin Road in Tuam? Fencing has been put up in front of a lot of the boarded up ones. I wonder are they gutting them, or just gonna demolish them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Probably related to this:

DECEMBER 18, 2017
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – The contract for a major redevelopment of Gilmartin Road in Tuam has been signed.

The project will involve the demolition of 30 old houses and the construction of 40 new homes.

21 council houses at Gilmartin Road and St. Enda’s Avenue will also be refurbished as part of the project.

The work is due to begin in the new year and will take about 18 months.

Councillor Tom McHugh says it’s good news for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Thanks! That road is an awful eyesore, so that’s good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They've knocked the boundary walls now. They'll be stripping the houses (of what's left) and I think the following week they will be knocking the buildings.

Where the longer green fence is there will be a green area and the houses will be further back so it will be more open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Any photos? Haven't been down in a while - but seemingly a lot of work been done past week?

I'll get updated photos on Sunday and put them up.

At least 6 blocks are now gone so that's 12 houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'll get updated photos on Sunday and put them up.

At least 6 blocks are now gone so that's 12 houses.

Ah I might be ok now - driving back in the morning so will see it first hand. Is the road closed off completely and traffic being routed around while it's ongoing?

There's only 4 houses left to be knocked on the mart side. They've been working Saturdays so those 4 could be gone tomorrow.

No closures or anything so you'll be able to have a gawk. The pace of the traffic going down the road has been annoyingly slow (and increased amounts) since they started knocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Mars Bar wrote: »
    There's only 4 houses left to be knocked on the mart side. They've been working Saturdays so those 4 could be gone tomorrow.

No closures or anything so you'll be able to have a gawk. The pace of the traffic going down the road has been annoyingly slow (and increased amounts) since they started knocking!

Anybody have the latest on the aldi that they wanted to build near Gilmartn Rd ?
    Is it dead in the water now or what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

D Trent wrote: »
    Anybody have the latest on the aldi that they wanted to build near Gilmartn Rd ?
    Is it dead in the water now or what

This was always a bonkers idea. Even if they were offered the site for free, it would have been a terrible place. Literally the worst site for a supermarket in Tuam..

Advertisement