Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage drop in house - what to expect

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

vintagevrs wrote: »
    So the heat pump can then work for months without issue and then start giving issue again. Before Christmas it started playing up again. The issue is that the compressor does not start, but the heatpump (Nibe) does not realise this so no errors/alarms and only sign is that the hot water is no longer hot. To fix this, power cycling the pump sorts it. Issue may not return then for a couple of days.

It should detect if the compressor doesnt start. There are sensors all over the place in these heat pumps. If the compressor doesnt start it will know based on numerous sensor values/temperatures.

So, thats strange that you see no errors/faults appearing.

I think you need a HP service engineer to come out and put it through its paces.

What model Nibe do you have?

The Nibe soft starters are also known to be weak. Mine was replaced once by a different make of soft starter that the engineer was happy to stand over based on his experience.

And as others said, the voltage ranges in your graph are quite good although the graph is in 10min intervals so its hard to tell for sure.

What was the lowest voltage value that was recorded by the logger during that time? Was it the 225V that the graph suggests?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, the variations shown on the graph would not concern me. If I had sold this kit to you my first port of would be with the manufacturer of the heat pump. You have been supplied with a piece of kit that keeps failing so the issue is due to either:

1) How it was installed
    2) The ESB supply
    3) Due to an issue with the heat pump itself

Your contract is with the contractor that installed this kit. He / she needs to resolve this for you. I would be wondering if the soft starter is suitably rated and questioning the quality of the unit. Generally I use quality soft starters such as ABB and I have never seen them fail. Having said that I only use 3 phase units.

I certainly wouldn't go fiddling with it myself. Park the problem back with the installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The installer has been here frequently and trying to resolve. It's a tricky one as it's so intermittent just. It's a f1245 unit if that makes a difference installed in 2012.

I'll be going back to them now as I feel the failure to start this morning when there was no voltage issue really rules ESB out. I also find it bizarre that the unit does not realise there is an issue as there is no delta in the brine in/out temps and the degree minutes continue to fall as no heat heat being generated but apparently it can't. Newer units maybe do not have this issue.

Thanks all for your input.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The installer has been here frequently and trying to resolve.

That is unfortunate.
    However, from your posts I would take the view that the installer sold you something that has never worked satisfactorily.
    As such I would take the position that the installer must repair, replace or refund you. So far despite his efforts this has not worked.

So perhaps you need to bring this to a head?
    I would suggest that you insist that the installer brings a representative from the manufacturer to inspect the installation and make a formal report.
    It's a tricky one as it's so intermittent just.

Although this may make the issue more difficult to resolve it does not absolve the installer from his responsibilities.

Advertisement