Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with Pets

Options
  • 04-02-2018 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

We are returning from New Zealand this year and will have our dog with us. What is the story in Ireland about having pets in a rental? Is it generally accepted or is it going to make things very difficult for us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In Dublin damn near impossible. You'll have to approach Landlords directly, agents are very unlikely to even bother returning your calls/emails as they'll have a queue of non-pet owners with Irish references to call.

Not trying to be harsh it's just the reality at the moment. You might have some luck taking something a bit less desirable and paying over a large pet deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Just a small schnauser/jack russel cross. Not very big or loud. We have done similar here, never mentioned her to the landlord. We will be living in a town somewhere on the train lines to Dublin, probably between Galway and Dublin so not in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I had great difficulty when moving from Dublin to Cork but I felt it best to be honest because I didn't want the 'LL arriving afterwards and finding out I had a dog.

It takes time and patience but you can find someone who's an animal lover if you're up front and offer an extra deposit if needed.

As a 'LL on the other side of things I'd prefer someone with a pet to someone with a load of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just a small schnauser/jack russel cross. Not very big or loud. We have done similar here, never mentioned her to the landlord. We will be living in a town somewhere on the train lines to Dublin, probably between Galway and Dublin so not in the city.

Renting anywhere commutable of Dublin will have the same problem, there's not enough rentals available so the landlords will choose a non pet owner for less risk of damage.

Advertisement