Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No internet in Jurassic Park

Options
  • 04-02-2018 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello we moved into a house that we are renting two months ago. Eir can’t connect us with broadband because we are just over 5k from there exchange (apparently it’s a new rule they have) the house is between Carrick On Shannon and Longford town.

Sky can’t connect us either due to some bizarre reason that we have no eircode! But at least said when we get it they should be able to connect us. At the mo we are using an old iPhone as a personal hotspot. One room in the house has 4g the rest if your lucky two bars of 3G if any reception at all. That’s on the 3 network.

We are data heavy with all we do. I dunno if we should get a MiFi or Huawei router for the house. We don’t want to invest too much into something like external antennas etc with us just renting here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Get a regular WiFi/Router/Modem with proper antenna that takes a sim card. Put it on a long lead so you can position it where it gets the best signal, usually a window.

Get to Eircode to fix your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AindrisBro

beauf wrote: »
    Get a regular WiFi/Router/Modem with proper antenna that takes a sim card. Put it on a long lead so you can position it where it gets the best signal, usually a window.

Get to Eircode to fix your address.

Any suggestions? Been searching amazon and eBay and when I think I’ve found something it turns out it’s a non runner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy one of these:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/used-HUAWEI-B593-CPE-S-22-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-4G-LTE-Router-2-x-EXTERNAL-ANTENNA/292249400792?epid=1440680033&hash=item440b6bf5d8:g:0jYAAOSwvApaBEdQ

And get a 20E/mo Three sim card for *PHONES*. That'll give you 28 days unlimited data for €20.

Do not bother with Sky, itll be the same as Eir and at 5km that means 1-2Mb max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Go for the Huawei and see how the signal is. You should get 4g on it if you get it already in a room. If it needs a boost, try an external antenna.

I'm in a similar situation at the end of an exchange and any fixed network can only offer 1-2Mb which is stone age speeds.

I use a Huawei B593 and some external antennas and have 4g, 4 bars 24/7. Works grand like regular wifi for lots of devices.

I live about 17k from the city center and 5k in from a Google data center yet can't get a half decent fixed line service in 2018... it would drive you crazy but this was the best option!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Been driving me mad I’ve moved from Dublin to here and just stuck in a black hole between the fibre etc. Ed yeah I’ve been told that’s the best I could expect is just a few mbs.. I’m hoping I’ll get something decent from either. Been driving us crazy with the messing around. I don’t mind spending a couple of hundred euro on a good one as it will do for the future for €20 on three

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172971619593

Not dismissing the advice but one I saw earlier that I’m not 100% sure if it will work on a sim card alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

They will all work with just a sim alone and the last one you posted would work with 2 sims to double your fun

Advertisement