Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Smart Speaker for birthday gift.

• 04-02-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hi All - I want to get my husband a smart speaker for his birthday. I'm leaning towards the Echo but after reading up on both last night I can see Ghome is better for information - i.e. asking general knowledge questions. Which is what my husband will more likely get craic out of...

Can the Echo do this too? Is there a smart speaker that's more suited to use in Ireland - again my research led me to believe that not all of the functions available on both Echo and GHome would work in Ireland. I'm not very technically minded so I could have all of this wrong...

Also hoping for something that is easy enough to set up as it will probably be me setting it up as it's a birthday gift. Or is there a set up your smart speaker service? Just kidding... kinda.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

hcass wrote: »
    Hi All - I want to get my husband a smart speaker for his birthday. I'm leaning towards the Echo but after reading up on both last night I can see Ghome is better for information - i.e. asking general knowledge questions. Which is what my husband will more likely get craic out of...

Can the Echo do this too? Is there a smart speaker that's more suited to use in Ireland - again my research led me to believe that not all of the functions available on both Echo and GHome would work in Ireland. I'm not very technically minded so I could have all of this wrong...

Also hoping for something that is easy enough to set up as it will probably be me setting it up as it's a birthday gift. Or is there a set up your smart speaker service? Just kidding... kinda.

Thanks in advance...

Google home is your man. Not officially supported d in Ireland yet unlike the echoe, but its fully functional, and better than echoe jmho for the reasons you pointed out yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Oh thank you - I forgot to put it in my OP but do you know a reputable stockist of GHome? The ones coming up in Google ads are dodgey as (low ratings on trust pilot) and I can't seem to find an Irish site that sells Them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

hcass wrote: »
    Oh thank you - I forgot to put it in my OP but do you know a reputable stockist of GHome? The ones coming up in Google ads are dodgey as (low ratings on trust pilot) and I can't seem to find an Irish site that sells Them?

Buy it on the UK Google site and use parcel motel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Having had both Echo and Google Home I (and wife and kids) have found Google Home much smarter.
    Everything (well 90% of stuff) works in Ireland for both Echo and Google Home but the Google Home is just better at responses and it seems to be more conversational and natural as well.

Get it in the official Google UK site (you should be able to switch location on the bottom of the page) and delivery to parcel motel or similar service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Op, google store is the place to get it, change your location to UK, and then use parcel motel as other poster suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement