Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning query - Bramley apple

Options
  • 04-02-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I’ve two bramley apples trees that I am trying to prune. I moved into the house last winter so they have definitely missed one year’s pruning. I am a total beginner with pruning!

I have removed some crossing branches and inward growing etc.

There are quite a lot of almost vertical 2ft shoots up near the top of the trees. Not sure should I prune some of these back?

Total height is about 10-12ft

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd remove lowest horizontals, as they will end up extending out and getting dragged down by the fruit next autumn or the one after. They are also probably the least likely to get the sun (that's something you can judge better than us from a photo!), I'd cut back the high new wood back by 50% just below a bud point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As far as I know it's fine to cut these back if the tree is getting bigger than you want. I've an apple tree with branches like that and I'm planning to cut them back to a more manageable height.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Practically speaking, what's the highest you can safely pick them? There's no point letting it grow taller than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Indeed.

I have read though that sometimes pruning can cause even more vigorous regrowth so that is the concern. I don't want vigourous regrowth at that height!

Advertisement