Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a HKC SecureComm to a new panel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

kub wrote: »
    You could, but if someone smashed your glass and entered without opening a window or door, they could bypass your alarm system

True, the Honeywell system has wireless glassbreak sensors but I’m unsure how well they would work with double glazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

ukoda wrote:
    True, the Honeywell system has wireless glassbreak sensors but I’m unsure how well they would work with double glazing

Just looking at the diagram you put up earlier, I have my doubts that system would comply with EN50131, which is a benchmark that insurers use.
    I would also suggest you consider the Vanderbilt system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any system that he installs himself will not conform to En50131-1 anyway.

kub wrote: »
    Just looking at the diagram you put up earlier, I have my doubts that system would comply with EN50131, which is a benchmark that insurers use.
    I would also suggest you consider the Vanderbilt system.

Does the Vanderbilt have remote access?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

ukoda wrote: »
    Does the Vanderbilt have remote access?

Yes, via app and web browser

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys, I was aware I’d not be compliant if I did it myself, it going to be more of an experiment than anything. I’ll prob opt for the Vanderbilt eventually

Is it the SPC Connect app for the Vanderbilt system?

KoolKid wrote: »

actually looks pretty good, the HKC app is god awful looking!

For a professional install of this, would i be better checking the register of installers and getting an independent guy., if such a thing exists. from a quick google i don't see any company local to me (cork city) that installs vanderbilt, and i'm assuming they will only want to sell their own system to me

All installers will be listed in the register.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    All installers will be listed in the register.

what are advantages of the Vanderbilt over say the HKC SecureWave, which seems to be much more common?

There are lots. See through the thread for more information.
    The 2 main reasons are apps are free and there are no annual charges & network fail notifications can be as low as a minute vs 5 hours for HKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Be careful what u say about HKC some on here take offence to any non positive comment regarding hkc :-)

hatchman wrote: »
    Be careful what u say about HKC some on here take offence to any non positive comment regarding hkc :-)

It was a fairly mild criticism :) their system seems to be highly rated and lots recommend it. I do think though the app is in bad need of a refresh and modernisation in design. I’m sure functionally is solid.

It's a fair comment when you look at the design of some of the free ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

hatchman wrote: »

You see, there's a lot of history in here with this stuff and I understand that if someone from "the outside" were to dip their toe into it they will get a sharp burn (maybe unfairly). Also, there are some in here with an orchestrated agenda against HKC who themselves have a commercial interested in another manufacturer.

There you go.. That didn't take long, did it ðŸ˜
    For the record I have no commercial agreements with any manufacturer.

i'm just a DIY'er and smart home enthusiast looking to make the right decision on my next upgrade (i.e. alarm) If you asked me 3 months ago what kind of alarm i had or who made it, i wouldnt have been able to answer.

Think i'm resigned to the fact that i'll go with a professional install and not a DIY and just looking to educate myself on the best options - interestingly i had a conversation with an installer who rates HKC higher than Vanderbilt due to after sales issues with Vanderbilt hes experienced, I'm tending to believe him as he said he will quote me for and source me any system i want. also advised me straight up that HKC is €60 a year for the SIM, meaning hes not even adding a margin to that so i trust him now!

Advertisement