Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED driver question.

• 04-02-2018 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to illuminate the overcab storage , I have a Lidl LED light strip that can be piggybacked together and it comes with a 240v-12v 0.25A adaptor.
    I would like to run this off a power supply that is convenient to the light, this power supply is for the waste tank heater so it doesn't freeze, Looking at the size of the cables coming out of the switch I am thinking that they must be carrying a lot of amps, if I take a feed off this and run it directly into the LED light strip will I let the magic smoke out of the Lightstrip or will they happily run on 12v and plenty of amps? If I need to limit the current what is the simplest solution?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would like to illuminate the overcab storage , I have a Lidl LED light strip that can be piggybacked together and it comes with a 240v-12v 0.25A adaptor.
    I would like to run this off a power supply that is convenient to the light, this power supply is for the waste tank heater so it doesn't freeze, Looking at the size of the cables coming out of the switch I am thinking that they must be carrying a lot of amps, if I take a feed off this and run it directly into the LED light strip will I let the magic smoke out of the Lightstrip or will they happily run on 12v and plenty of amps? If I need to limit the current what is the simplest solution?

Thanks

Heater is about 30w so often only powered on hookup. Festoon light usually has a permanent live that has the added bonus of going off when the service battery is low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Heater is about 30w so often only powered on hookup. Festoon light usually has a permanent live that has the added bonus of going off when the service battery is low.

I just went and checked, the switch LED lights up when the whole habitation switch is powered up. if its 30w then roughly 2.5A?
    They should cope with that I think,the light won't be used continuously only when you need something from the locker at night.

Whoo! What! Someone having electrical problems without me?...sorry got trapped in faceboards and lost the will to interact!

Arah! They'll be grand, lose the PSU and stick them on a battery. I've been running 12V leds at 15V since always.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If I need to limit the current what is the simplest solution?

Clicky

Advertisement