Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada by Motorhome

Options
  • 04-02-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

Thinking of driving an RV around some of Canada in the summer. Anyone here done it before ?
    Any info/tips/ advice would be really appreciated.
    Just came into our heads today, so it really is early days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Did it back in the 90s, my aunt drove up from the states with her campervan, we arrived in to Toronto and toured around Ontario and Quebec for three weeks it was fantastic, used koa campsites which where great, make sure to have a plan and not do it willy nilly, the country is vast. It was one of the best trips we ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check if your phone is compatible with the frequencies used by Canadian mobile operators. If not, consider a phone that is. Also, ensure that you can get data, so you can book a spot for your RV at campsites.

Also, get the Park Pass.

Look at all the major holidays, and keep in mind that spots are often booked months in advance for certain popular weekends.

Get a big sturdy metal box that can be locked, to keep food in. Most places are very serious about how to store food, to prevent bears from smelling your food. Also, keep in mind where you can't have open fires, if the place is too warm.

Temps can hit the 30's, so ensure your RV has air-con.

Check what size RV your license will allow you to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, get the Park Pass.

The Park Pass is only good for National Parks. In BC (for example) there are very few National Parks, mostly Provincial Parks so it's worth mapping out a route and figuring out if you will actually encounter many national parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

It won't be cheap, they are expensive to hire and crazy money to buy. Expect to pay between 30-60 per night for camping in a camp ground with services (electricity, water and sewer dumps). There are free sites but they are few and far between. Summer time is very busy so a lot of the popular camp sites get booked up fast. You can't just park overnight anywhere you want in most cities, wallmart car parks are usually ok, i think there is a map of which ones are rv friendly. Fuel economy on them is poor se budget a lot for fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Thanks all. Anyone else I talk to tell me the fuel use/cost is a killer. Thinking more fly drive ( car ) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I did a tour of Arizona in December in a 31 ft Winnebago, it was a terrifying thing to drive as it was totally unstable and easily pushed around by trucks. I loved the freedom of going where I wanted and not having to drag bags into / out of hotels, but I wouldn't do it again in such a vehicle as the driving was too stressful. 10 days in the USA cost us $3000 with fuel and parking.

27610244339_2e8cc54c6d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

smurfjed wrote: »
    I did a tour of Arizona in December in a 31 ft Winnebago, it was a terrifying thing to drive as it was totally unstable and easily pushed around by trucks. I loved the freedom of going where I wanted and not having to drag bags into / out of hotels, but I wouldn't do it again in such a vehicle as the driving was too stressful. 10 days in the USA cost us $3000 with fuel and parking.

27610244339_2e8cc54c6d.jpg

Thanks. Some baby that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mattser wrote: »
    Thanks all. Anyone else I talk to tell me the fuel use/cost is a killer. Thinking more fly drive ( car ) now.
    Look at the railway trips. You go from A to B on the train, and sleep in hotels along the way. Perhaps look at when you get to the likes of the Rockies, get off there, and have a camper booked to drive form there?

Advertisement