Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach

Options
  • 04-02-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I see one of the cllrs local to here, is posting about a beach clean up at Harbor Enterprise or Business Park.

Can anyone give me directions to there?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Entrance is beside the Harbour Hotel.

I've never spotted a beach there ...?

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/01/harbour-enterprise-park-layout-map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Entrance is beside the Harbour Hotel.

I've never spotted a beach there ...?

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/01/harbour-enterprise-park-layout-map.html

I didn't know there was a beach there either, but there could be with erosion from the bay.

Someone must know where it is as it needs cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Never heard of a beach there. Nearest thing I can think of is that in the past you could walk out past where the enterprise centre is and you would end up at the little beach at the back of the barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It has to be Deadman's Beach? That's the only beach around there. You get to it by going down past Cold Chon and the Galway Ocean Sports Club and then taking a left and walking a few hundred metres.

Which Councillor and where's he posting?

• Advertisement

?Cee?view wrote: »
    It has to be Deadman's Beach? That's the only beach around there. You get to it by going down past Cold Chon and the Galway Ocean Sports Club and then taking a left and walking a few hundred metres.

Which Councillor and where's he posting?

I saw it on FB, he only had coordinates on the info so I'm clueless, I don't remember his name but his business was flooded in s'arch last high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bredabe wrote: »
    I saw it on FB, he only had coordinates on the info so I'm clueless, I don't remember his name but his business was flooded in s'arch last high tide.

Was it this guy, Niall McNelis? https://www.labour.ie/niallmcnelis

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Was it this guy, Niall McNelis? https://www.labour.ie/niallmcnelis

I think so, I can't find the posting now.

I think so, I can't find the posting now.

Mystery solved.

It is Niall McNelis and the pictured beach is Deadman’s.

https://www.facebook.com/nmcnelisgalway/posts/521879694860261

And it was yesterday 😀

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Mystery solved.

It is Niall McNelis and the pictured beach is Deadman’s.

https://www.facebook.com/nmcnelisgalway/posts/521879694860261

Thanks so much, it was driving the natives' cray cray. Is down by the docks the only way to get to it?

• Advertisement

Thanks so much, it was driving the natives' cray cray. Is down by the docks the only way to get to it?

You can get there across fields near the Barracks but down by the Docks is the easiest way. To be honest, it’s the only way I’ve ever gone there; down by the side of the GOSC, a rough road or track along the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Good chance you would be shot going in by barracks.isnt the firing range right beside that beach.be careful op and make sure you wear gloves.was fishing the docks once for mackerel.caught a woman’s sanitary towel.worst days fishing ever.wasnt fun trying to unhook that.
    God knows what else filth is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't think you can officially go by the docks anymore. They tried to stop me and my dog a few times but that was years ago and construction was going on so maybe that was the reason.
    You can still probably get there via the end of Ballyloughan and Liam Mellows pitches.

Good chance you would be shot going in by barracks.isnt the firing range right beside that beach.be careful op and make sure you wear gloves.was fishing the docks once for mackerel.caught a woman’s sanitary towel.worst days fishing ever.wasnt fun trying to unhook that.
    God knows what else filth is out there.

I didn't think it was possible to get past the barracks at all. I used to walk the beaches regularly, what washed up there put me off both swimming and walking, I don't know how the water here passes those EU tests. Lol tho as a woman sanitary towels wouldn't phase me, if I had to hit a fish on the head I would be upset.

:D

It should be possible to get there without getting shot or drowned while swimming by sanitary towels.

It's a lovely quiet spot. One of the theories I've heard as to why it called Deadmans' is that bodies tend to wash up there due to the way the currents flow. Dunno if that could contribute to the stories of it being dirtier than other areas, but as it's so quiet down there, it tends to attract less land based dirt.

It can be a hive of activity at times as various sailing clubs dinghy sail from there and kids sailing courses are run over the Summer. It's a lovely spot for that and great to have it so close to the city.

I don't think anyone would stop you going down there via the docks. Yes, there's a gate which keeps cars out, but you can just walk around it.

I didn't think it was possible to get past the barracks at all. I used to walk the beaches regularly, what washed up there put me off both swimming and walking, I don't know how the water here passes those EU tests. Lol tho as a woman sanitary towels wouldn't phase me, if I had to hit a fish on the head I would be upset.

I never ate a fish out of Galway bay since.dont even fish there anymore.its shocking the stuff you would see floating around the docks on a calm day.go down the back of the docks on a calm hot day and you would be disgusted with what you would see. I feel sorry for the wildlife sharing that bay as their home.op it’s a nice thing to do cleaning the beaches.pity they couldn’t put the long term unemployed at it full time to improve things for wildlife while giving the people something to do and a sense of self worth.
    For your own safety though wear boots and gloves.

Another way to get to deadmans op is turn down the road at Duggan’s shop on the Dublin road.go down to the end of the road and you will see the army barracks church on the right and the main barracks in front of you.park up there somewhere safe and walk up to barracks gate over the railway.then turn left and walk back there following the road around to the right.when you see the firing range deadmans is at the back to the right of it.10 minutes walk I’d say from the car.you are allowed walk back there no problem just don’t go in the main gate at barracks walk left there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

https://www.facebook.com/ConservationVolunteersGalway

they carry out plantings, clean-ups etc.. worth signing up for their emails for their next planned outing

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement