Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time does the dock road start getting busy in the mornings?

• 04-02-2018 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Due to start a new job soon out in Shannon. Looking around limerick for places to live (would seriously rather not live in shannon, no offense lol). Ennis Road/Caherdavin etc would be ideal but I’m also looking at apartments in town as well as the South Circular Road.

Just cautious about my commute time. Depending on where in the south circular road, I’d either be coming down Ashbourne Avenue or Summerville Avenue to get on to the dock road, over the bridge, onto the condell road etc. To get to the Shannon industrial estate for 8:55 at latest, what time would I need to be leaving scr?

Or would I be better off going down Henry street and out that way?

Toll is another option but if it’s gonna cost me 80ish quid a month it’d want to be saving me a lot of time.

I did check google maps etc but that’s not accounting for 8am-9am traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

In my experience traffic starts to build up on the dock road about 7:45 but still moves at a decent pace. Have never been on it any later than 8:15 so can't really comment on how slow traffic moves at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

At that end of the dock road in the mornings, traffic would move quickly enough

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Shox2711 wrote: »
    Or would I be better off going down Henry street and out that way?

Down Henry Street as far as O'Curry Street, then right onto the Dock Road at the traffic lights opposite the Clayton Hotel. Much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

8.25-8.45 am is the peak time. Loads of people start job at 9 am in Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I live in dooradoyle and work in Shannon, refuse to pay for the tunnel!

I leave my house at 8:05 and I'm in the Shannon industrial estate at around 8:40.

If you leave it till 8:15 then you won't arrive in Shannon till after 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shox2711

davo2001 wrote: »
    I live in dooradoyle and work in Shannon, refuse to pay for the tunnel!

I leave my house at 8:05 and I'm in the Shannon industrial estate at around 8:40.

If you leave it till 8:15 then you won't arrive in Shannon till after 9.

Do you go up the Fr Russell Road and on to the top of the dock road, down SCR, or straight through town? Dooradoyle/Kilteragh in general is another option for me. What's it like getting home in the evening?

From dooradoyle just beyond the hospital, past Casey's, down the Fr Russell road round about, down to the cement factory round about all the way down the dock road to the condell road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I live near Henry Street garda Station. Many times i left house at 8.25 and dropped my colleague at industrial estate by 8.55
    But its risky and you may get late one day. I think if you're on dock Road and cross the bridge by 8.20 then you're safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

As others have said, anytime after 8:15 and you won't be in Shannon until about half nine i reckon. Traffic moves quiet quickly on the dock Road, it's mostly the two roundabouts at the cement factory that cause most of the traffic problems. There's four roads feeding into them.

If I was working in Shannon I'd be using the tunnel. My wife works in Shannon and uses a tag.

Mc Love wrote: »
    If I was working in Shannon I'd be using the tunnel. My wife works in Shannon and uses a tag.

I'm just subborn about it, it costs me around €30 on petrol to get to/from work.

If I was to take the tunnel it would cost another €20, which is €1000 per year, for the sake of 10 mins in bed I'll keep the money in my pocket and waste it on something else 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

davo2001 wrote: »
    I'm just subborn about it, it costs me around €30 on petrol to get to/from work.

If I was to take the tunnel it would cost another €20, which is €1000 per year, for the sake of 10 mins in bed I'll keep the money in my pocket and waste it on something else ��

It's crazy when you think about it. If I were to get a job in Shannon I would only consider paying the toll one way but even still that's €500 a year. Honestly I've always thought it was amazing that there was no discount option for people who use it every day (I'm assuming there isn't anyway, do correct me if I'm wrong) for work, etc.

Not really possible I know but I'd love to know how much the traffic on the Dock Road would be alleviated if the toll was actually free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I work in the city but have to pay for parking. If I worked in Shannon i probably wouldn't have to pay for parking so I'd still have to pay for the tunnel. Its just convenient and if I was late leaving , i know that i wouldn't be stressed in traffic in the morning on the dock Road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jaxxx wrote: »
    It's crazy when you think about it. If I were to get a job in Shannon I would only consider paying the toll one way but even still that's €500 a year. Honestly I've always thought it was amazing that there was no discount option for people who use it every day (I'm assuming there isn't anyway, do correct me if I'm wrong) for work, etc.

Not really possible I know but I'd love to know how much the traffic on the Dock Road would be alleviated if the toll was actually free.

There's no discount and you get charged a small fee every month (around €1 IIRC) for the privilege of having the tag. I use it in the mornings, but come in the Condell Rd in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think it's ridiculous that you have to play a monthly fee for the tag and there's no discount bar for the M50 toll.

For the amount of times I pass the toll it makes very little difference to queue at the barrier and I have my car registered for the M50 so get a reduction there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I worked out that working in Shannon would cost me about €2,350 each year for 450kms mileage per week and 10 Tolls per week. As I'm in Newport and need to drop somebody in Ballysimon each day I can't really take time to avoid the Toll. I could come home through Sixmilebridge and O'Briensbridge but it's slower and burns more Diesel with start/stop as I'd otherwise be on Cruise Control on M7/N18.

I have a Toll Tag and the parking service I don't have turned on because it's €1+vat per month to have it on and I never really park in the city and when I do the e-parking app is great for the price BUT considering you've to top up by €10 it's annoying.

If I worked in Limerick it would cost me much less in Diesel but about €80 per month in parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

There's no discount and you get charged a small fee every month (around €1 IIRC) for the privilege of having the tag. I use it in the mornings, but come in the Condell Rd in the evenings.

... Wow. Seriously? Let me work this out a second. Say one uses it everyday for work but one way only. What's the current tole for a car, €1.90? 5 days a week that's... €9.50. So in a month that's €38. And they charge €1 on top of that for using the tag? €456 a year (ex €12 fee for tag). €456 a year ain't enough for them, they really want that little bit more. FFS. And that's just using it once a day, for both ways it'd be €912 (ex fee).

If I won the Euromillions I'd actually buy the whole thing (assuming it's enough with a little pocket change) and make it free for all. Would certainly help alleviate traffic on the Dock Road a bit more that's for sure!

jaxxx wrote: »
    ... Wow. Seriously? Let me work this out a second. Say one uses it everyday for work but one way only. What's the current tole for a car, €1.90? 5 days a week that's... €9.50. So in a month that's €38. And they charge €1 on top of that for using the tag? €456 a year (ex €12 fee for tag). €456 a year ain't enough for them, they really want that little bit more. FFS. And that's just using it once a day, for both ways it'd be €912 (ex fee).

If I won the Euromillions I'd actually buy the whole thing (assuming it's enough with a little pocket change) and make it free for all. Would certainly help alleviate traffic on the Dock Road a bit more that's for sure!

To be honest I've no issue paying it as I'm from my front door to the work car park in 20 minutes. For me that extra 20 minutes in bed every morning is worth the price of 2 pints every week. I'm in no rush in the evenings, so I come in the Condell Rd and through town.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shox2711

To be honest I've no issue paying it as I'm from my front door to the work car park in 20 minutes. For me that extra 20 minutes in bed every morning is worth the price of 2 pints every week. I'm in no rush in the evenings, so I come in the Condell Rd and through town.

20 minutes from where to where do you mind me asking?

Shox2711 wrote: »
    20 minutes from where to where do you mind me asking?

Old Cork Road to Shannon.

Advertisement