Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York with teenagers

Options
  • 04-02-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

Looking to book 4 or 5 nights in June in New York. Family of 4 - teens are 18 and 15. We all get along and they will be flexible and accept whatever we book for them as they just want to get there and see the sites, maybe do a bit of shopping.

Anyone recommend a Manhattan hotel - not expensive that might suit our needs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Bumping to see if anyone can help
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I stayed in Manhattan twice and wouldn’t do so again. Last time I was over I stayed in Weehawken (right beside Hoboken), New Jersey. It was about 20-25 minutes by bus into Times Square. Very cheap in comparison especially if you are having a meal or drinks. It’s a lovely area.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Affinia 50 on 50th st or in the thick of the action Grand Hyatt beside grand central station. Kids loved the Grand Hyatt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 2stroke yoke

Carter Hotel is just off Times Square. It's very reasonable because it is extremely outdated and needs a good revamp but then again, we haven't been there in a few years. However, my wife would never stay in a place that was in any way unhygienic ir unclean- and this hotel, even though it could do with a decor revamp, is very clean and has a decent sized room for New York standards. If you're not planning on staying in the hotel room that much, this might be a good option considering it's great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Been there every year for many years and we have stayed out in Long Island city. Minutes from the 7 train or the N train. You are looking at 10 minutes to Manhatten but much cheaper. Stayed in the BORO hotel last time we were there and found it fantastic. Stayed in the Affinia 50 a few times and it is very good but staying that little bit across the river is well worth the saving.

EDIT: emailing a hotel well in advance often gets you a much better deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have you checked out YMCA?
    There are other hostel type places with family rooms, some around Columbia University.
    Cheap and cheerful, fairly basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think if you will be spending most of your time in Manhattan, you should stay in Manhattan. The time savings are worth it and it's nice to be able to walk back to the hotel after dinner etc. Also the NYC Subway is breaking down more and more frequently so staying out in Long Island (or anywhere off Manhattan) could cost even more time.

I've been able to get good deals in Hotwire before. Got the Homewood Suites on West 37th for 470 euro for 2 nights before (for example).

I think if you will be spending most of your time in Manhattan, you should stay in Manhattan. The time savings are worth it and it's nice to be able to walk back to the hotel after dinner etc. Also the NYC Subway is breaking down more and more frequently so staying out in Long Island (or anywhere off Manhattan) could cost even more time.

I've been able to get good deals in Hotwire before. Got the Homewood Suites on West 37th for 470 euro for 2 nights before (for example).

Staying in Long Island City is closer to Midtown Manhattan than Downtown or way Uptown. It is literally 10 mins by subway to Grand Central station/42nd street. Staying out in Long Island could be a multiple of this granted but don't get the two confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Staying in Long Island City is closer to Midtown Manhattan than Downtown or way Uptown. It is literally 10 mins by subway to Grand Central station/42nd street. Staying out in Long Island could be a multiple of this granted but don't get the two confused.

Sorry I did get the two of them confused, but I still stand by my point.

(10 minutes + time to get to Subway station + time to get to Subway platform + time to get tickets/top up metro card + time to wait for Subway + extra time if there's delays) x 2 times a day can add up.

And it's always nice to be able to go back to the hotel easily between e.g. sightseeing and dinner, this is significantly more inconvenient if you have to spend time on the subway, especially around rush hour.

Sorry I did get the two of them confused, but I still stand by my point.

(10 minutes + time to get to Subway station + time to get to Subway platform + time to get tickets/top up metro card + time to wait for Subway + extra time if there's delays) x 2 times a day can add up.

And it's always nice to be able to go back to the hotel easily between e.g. sightseeing and dinner, this is significantly more inconvenient if you have to spend time on the subway, especially around rush hour.

Totally see where you are coming from but NYC is so big it often makes no odds. I have done both, staying in LIC several times and midtown in the Affinia 50 twice and I just can't justify the extra for a little extra time on a subway. LIC is develooing into a mini brooklyn or Manhattan extension with lots of trendy bars and restaurants popping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Hi, have stayed twice with children in Manhattan, once on 42nd St in Hotel Belevedere, and once in Belleclaire hotel on the Upr West side. Would recommend both as decent, clean and convenient. Preference for Belleclaire as rooms a little more spacious. Only issue with both was 1 or 2 elevators for entire hotel which were constantly packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Hi there,
    Stayed in Hudson Morgan on 38th st on our honeymoon in 2011. Nice clean hotel 2 minutes from Central Park/Trump tower less than 15 mins from Times Square. The room was quite small and there didn't seem to be many children or families so while I would recommend it for a couple I wouldn't recommend for families.

On the other hand we stayed in the Hotel Ameritania on 54th st in September last year - myself hubby and toddler. Room was surprisingly spacious with 2 big double beds and loads of floor space for the toddler.
    Right beside the studio for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Times Square a 5 minute stroll one way Central Park less than 10 minutes the other way. Couldn't fault the Hotel or the staff. Think we paid about €850 for 4 nights for the 3 of us. Breakfast wasn't included but there was a delightful little diner about 2 minutes away - Applejack Diner - that we went to each morning.
    Any other info you need feel free to pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

Looking to book 4 or 5 nights in June in New York. Family of 4 - teens are 18 and 15. We all get along and they will be flexible and accept whatever we book for them as they just want to get there and see the sites, maybe do a bit of shopping.

Anyone recommend a Manhattan hotel - not expensive that might suit our needs?

Thanks

Hi. Apologies for piggybacking on your thread, but in a similar boat myself, hoping to spend a week or so up around yonkers etc with relatives, but looking to spend 3 or 4 days in the city ourselves first (like yourself, with a 15 and 18 Yr old).

Did.you book anything yet? Any more ideas from others? Herself is looking at The Manhattan near Time Square, anyone ever stay there?

Hi. Apologies for piggybacking on your thread, but in a similar boat myself, hoping to spend a week or so up around yonkers etc with relatives, but looking to spend 3 or 4 days in the city ourselves first (like yourself, with a 15 and 18 Yr old).

Did.you book anything yet? Any more ideas from others? Herself is looking at The Manhattan near Time Square, anyone ever stay there?

If you look at the hotel I suggested it is minutes walk from the 7 train which brings you directly into times square subway station in about 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RachealB

Hi stayed in tryp time square south with 5 teens and room large and offered everything for teens safe area near everything. Kids even went out by them self .

Advertisement