Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube Sticking ....?

Options
  • 05-02-2018 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

Lately, I'll try to watch random YouTube clips and the film with freeze, after a few seconds. Sound carries on though. Not always. But, often enough. Netflix is fine.

Tried reloading Flash. No good. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Firefox on 7.

Mods? I hope this is the right place? Best I could find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is it Windows 10 and do you have the recent creators update/ fall update installed.

Windows should say 1709

Are you sure it's just the video that's freeing and not everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Stigura

Windows 7.

Like I say; I can sit here watching Netflix, all night. Not a hitch. But, click on a tube link in a forum? It sticks. Go directly to YouTube? It sticks. But, not Always. It's a weird, intermittent fault :confused:

Early hours of the morning, I was watching YouTube with no bother at all. As I have just done, right now. Yet, this problem will arise again. Always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Stigura wrote: »
    Windows 7.

Like I say; I can sit here watching Netflix, all night. Not a hitch. But, click on a tube link in a forum? It sticks. Go directly to YouTube? It sticks. But, not Always. It's a weird, intermittent fault :confused:

Early hours of the morning, I was watching YouTube with no bother at all. As I have just done, right now. Yet, this problem will arise again. Always does.

Is the video buffered but still freezing? You can see if its buffering by looking at the grey line advancing beyond the current play position.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Check the quality of youtube that is playing, and does it say 1080p 60? If it does I would bet that your machine simply cannot play 1080p 60fps. I have the same trouble on an old machine of mine. You can get a browser add-on that allows you to disable 1080p 60, and revert to 1080p (standard or 30fps).

Not all youtube videos are 1080p 60, so that's why it's an intermittent problem I bet.

Is the video buffered but still freezing? You can see if its buffering by looking at the grey line advancing beyond the current play position.

Yep. Thought of that. I've watched the grey line advance, well ahead of what I was watching.

I've also tried pausing the play, to allow the grey line to finish.

Nuffn!

Swine. Isn't it? Makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Check the quality of youtube that is playing, and does it say 1080p 60?

Okay. You have my attention. But; Where would it say what quality / 1080 what ever, I'm playing at, please?

I Do suspect this is a pretty basic, and aged, sort of machine I'm working from. I don't even know where to find what it's called ~ if that would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Right-click on YouTube video window, select "Stats for nerds":

Current / Optimal Res 1920x1080@30 / 1920x1080@30 -vs- 1920x1080@60 / 1920x1080@60

This one is 1920x1080@60, try and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right-click on YouTube video window, select "Stats for nerds":

Current / Optimal Res 1920x1080@30 / 1920x1080@30 -vs- 1920x1080@60 / 1920x1080@60

This one is 1920x1080@60, try and see how it goes.

Yeah and it will say it in the bottom right corner when you click on the cog icon. Resolution will be set to 1080p 60. I would bet money this is your problem OP. Setting the resolution to 480p is one solution, or getting an addon for your browser to have finer control over the youtube playback settings. Something like this should work:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/improvedtube-youtube-exte/bnomihfieiccainjcjblhegjgglakjdd

Cheers, lads :) I've never right clicked a tube before! That was freaky! :D

In honesty; I couldn't make sense of any of that stuff for nerds. But, the video played alright for me. As did a random, Bobby Gentry one. And, clicking the cog told me that was, indeed, at 480.

I've been back and searched for the films that gave me trouble. Can't find / remember them. But, I now have a solid lead in dropping the speeds.

:eek: O K! Just remembered the particular vid and went back to it. Worked fine. On 480. Does this mean setting One tube vid to play at 480 makes All play at that? Either way, looks like I might be all set! I'll certainly know what to try if it happens again!

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Video quality is set depending on your internet speed as per google support.
    You, must be, have pretty nice speed if quality defaults to HD.

One more thing to check is "hardware acceleration" settings on your browser.
    Try to disable it as per video here

• Advertisement
Advertisement