Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Road

Options
  • 05-02-2018 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Can't seem to find any planning but does anyone know if there's going to be traffic lights installed on the Navan Road just after the Halfway House? They're in the middle of removing part of the median so people from get from the Phoenix Park Racecourse side to the inbound side (to the bus stop I'd imagine). Lights there would be an utter disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Looks that way, don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Passed by today, looks like it. It's right at the enterence into the Industrial estate/car showrooms, a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

think theres a sign that says temporary bus stop so yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

think theres a sign that says temporary bus stop so yeah

Always been an actual bus stop there until recently, they're repaving the path on that side and look to be making a pedestrian crossing over to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I don't think that's a disaster at all. By the time you come out of the roundabout you've barely gained any speed.

Besides I always slow down there to look for people in the dark because there's no lights! Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bilbot79 wrote:
    I don't think that's a disaster at all. By the time you come out of the roundabout you've barely gained any speed.

At least two people have been killed crossing there over the past few years.

The feedback we received on it was that it was too near the roundabout and cars wouldn't see the lights

However they butchered the trees at Martin Savage roundabout recently imporving the view as you approach the roundabout heading into town.

TBH it's needed IMO the last death there was horrific.

Still will be difficult coming from the Phoenix Park with lights just there after turning out. All in all a bad planning idea imo - it definitely won't help the rush hour traffic congestion either.

Logically, they should have put in a foot bridge - but well Irish road planning and logic don't go hand in hand... Also should be a foot bridge up towards the Travel Lodge instead of the lights (not the main junction ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Footbridges are horrible and it wouldn't be used.

They need to take out the roundabout and put in traffic lights, preferably as part of an overall project removing the ashtown level crossing.

They need to take out the roundabout and put in traffic lights,

Now that would be the most logical idea tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Logically, they should have put in a foot bridge - but well Irish road planning and logic don't go hand in hand... Also should be a foot bridge up towards the Travel Lodge instead of the lights (not the main junction ones).

Footbridges are awful things for everyone who isn't driving. They cost a fortune, require maintenance, take up a lot of space on the footpath because of the requirement for a ramp and steps) and make pedestrians travel out of their way to cross the road. But the biggest problem with footbridges is the psychological one. It sends motorists the message that vehicles are the primary road user and all others must keep clear of the road. It removes the need for vigilance because you don't expect anyone else to be on the road. That's fine on a motorway or dual carriageway but not in an urban environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I can foresee that these lights on the outbound side are going to cause traffic chaos tailing back onto the roundabout at busy times (when, presumably, they will be used most).

Inbound traffic is a disaster most of the time anyway, so I don't see a lot of impact there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

markpb wrote: »
    Footbridges are awful things for everyone who isn't driving. They cost a fortune, require maintenance, take up a lot of space on the footpath because of the requirement for a ramp and steps) and make pedestrians travel out of their way to cross the road. But the biggest problem with footbridges is the psychological one. It sends motorists the message that vehicles are the primary road user and all others must keep clear of the road. It removes the need for vigilance because you don't expect anyone else to be on the road. That's fine on a motorway or dual carriageway but not in an urban environment.

Isn't that stretch of road classed as a dual carriageway? (I mean coming from Castleknock end coming towards the roundabout at Ashtown?) It's going to cause a lot of traffic problems there when it's already a bottleneck at rush hour.

I have relatives that live off the Navan Road near The Hole In The Wall and, having gone there at various times of the day and from different directions I can say that the Navan Road is a disaster for the majority of the day from Cabra Cross to the M50, the new bus lane outbound near the Garda station makes no sense to me either... it has to merge back into the main lane just to even get into the bus stop and then there is no more bus lane after that.

I'd love to see that the full plan for the road is and how they imagine they'll get BRT onto the Navan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

January wrote: »
    Isn't that stretch of road classed as a dual carriageway? (I mean coming from Castleknock end coming towards the roundabout at Ashtown?) It's going to cause a lot of traffic problems there when it's already a bottleneck at rush hour.

Is it a bottleneck though? The issue is mainly on the city side of the roundabout I find. I find it to be pretty good on the M50 side. Anyway the amount of people that think they are in a drag race and accelerate out of the roundabout is crazy so this should slow them down which is a good thing.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Is it a bottleneck though? The issue is mainly on the city side of the roundabout I find. I find it to be pretty good on the M50 side. Anyway the amount of people that think they are in a drag race and accelerate out of the roundabout is crazy so this should slow them down which is a good thing.
    I think you're thinking of the wrong place, January means from inside the M50 inbound to the Halfway House Roundabout. It's a major bottleneck.
    Although Navan Road outbound from Cabra Cross to that roundabout is a mess as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I made sure to take a look this morning as I passed on the bus, definitely looks like they are setting up for pedestrian lights with a bus stop right after them on the inbound stretch from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I think you're thinking of the wrong place, January means from inside the M50 inbound to the Halfway House Roundabout. It's a major bottleneck.
    Although Navan Road outbound from Cabra Cross to that roundabout is a mess as well.

Nope that's the bit I'm thinking of. Rarely any issues for me. It always moves reasonably well although admittedly I don't use that stretch on the morning rush much. The outbound section leading to the roundabout is reguarily a mess though.
    What already causes more of an issue are the pedestrian lights leading to the phoenix park Ashtown gate. I feel a zebra crossing would be more appropriate but due to the speed of some cars and potential visibility issues this may compromise safety.

Traffic lights are now up (with the orange plastic over them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

IngazZagni wrote: »

Yes, in the mornings that stretch of road is absolutely a bottleneck and traffic lights will only make it worse. It moves from two lanes into one lane plus bus lane just where the flyover for the Navan Road train station is and regularly has garda catching people using the bus lane as the main lane is backed up. It's going to be crazy IMO.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it really needs pedestrians train lights though.

i would cross there a lot on foot. after a few near death experience I have started walking the 5mins down to Kempton to cross at the lights there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement