Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Issues

Options
  • 05-02-2018 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So I bought a house in an estate with some students living in it...something i knew when buying the house. Most of the time if the music is too loud a quiet word works...

But there seems to be 2 properties that have been downright disrespectful.

So i need to know how best to approach it.

Noise - Directly Contact Landlord, if that doesn't work whats the next step?

Litter - Bins overflowing, general littering by being lazy, contact landlord or council

The guard's have no interest in noise complaints.

Also is it possible to check if these landlords are registered and/or declaring income for purposes of taxation(revenue might be interested if they aren't declaring)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is the estate under control of a management agency? That might be one way to raise a complaint to the landlord.

Also, you cannot check someone else’s tax status. That is no business of yours and is irrelevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

dudara wrote: »
    Is the estate under control of a management agency? That might be one way to raise a complaint to the landlord.

Also, you cannot check someone else’s tax status. That is no business of yours and is irrelevent.

Is it possible to check if the landlords are registerd landlords or is that even a thing?

Its managed by nobody, well the council but they don't do much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

You could kick up a fuss with their students union if you know which college they are attending.

Old Perry wrote: »
    You could kick up a fuss with their students union if you know which college they are attending.

i contacted the students union and they basically told me

"not our problem...call the guards"

this was last year, i know which college they attend, my estate is located within 5 minutes walk of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Galway isn’t it ?

• Advertisement

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Galway isn’t it ?

No its not Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Baseball bats and knuckel dusters, that'll teach them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Westwood wrote: »
    Baseball bats and knuckel dusters, that'll teach them

Westwood! Keepin' it gangsta!

34451.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Sounds like you're a bit uptight and as such, made a very silly decision moving into an estate with student houses. You already have it out for them for what, littering? You don't have jurisdiction over their bins or if they litter and the guards won't care. Did you think you were going to move in and sort out the whole estate like 'there's a new sheriff in town'? Not gonna happen, and there will be new students every year. Either learn to live with it or let it wreck your head, the choice is yours because it's not likely to change. Neither The students nor the guards will pass little remarks on you, that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You shouldn't have to put up with litter or noise no matter who it's form.

You can make a third party complaint to the RTB and check the registration on the RTB website. If they are not registered contact the LL first and say look sort it or I'm making a complaint. If they're not registered they'll sort it sharpish lest they get fined for nothing else than not being registered. Be canny about it though, the register isn't 100% accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

You can ring RTB and see if the adddress is registered, thd list online isn't always up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds like you're a bit uptight and as such, made a very silly decision moving into an estate with student houses. You already have it out for them for what, littering? You don't have jurisdiction over their bins or if they litter and the guards won't care. Did you think you were going to move in and sort out the whole estate like 'there's a new sheriff in town'? Not gonna happen, and there will be new students every year. Either learn to live with it or let it wreck your head, the choice is yours because it's not likely to change. Neither The students nor the guards will pass little remarks on you, that's just the way it is.
    Disgusting attitude.

Litter is not something anyone should put up with. It's revolting, unhygienic and anti-social.  Live in any other country in the world and it bloody well won't be put up with. I got a fine in Switzerland for planting the incorrect colour flowers in my own front garden for goodness sake. Keeping your own filth in your own bins is hardly asking a lot.
    Litter warden, landlord, find their parents if you can, and yes, call the guards. 

It's indicative of the type of slobs who are just as likely to litter as to "not bother with car insurance" etc.

pwurple wrote: »
    Disgusting attitude.

Litter is not something anyone should put up with. It's revolting, unhygienic and anti-social.  Live in any other country in the world and it bloody well won't be put up with. I got a fine in Switzerland for planting the incorrect colour flowers in my own front garden for goodness sake. Keeping your own filth in your own bins is hardly asking a lot.
    Litter warden, landlord, find their parents if you can, and yes, call the guards. 

It's indicative of the type of slobs who are just as likely to litter as to "not bother with car insurance" etc.

all cars in drive are taxed and insured, I check that first because it can be used as leverage in resolving issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

all cars in drive are taxed and insured, I check that first because it can be used as leverage in resolving issues

You mean threaten to report them to for no tax/nct/insurance if they don't clean up their act? That's what you mean no?

You don't honestly think that's likely to make the situation any better for yourself do you?

Reading your posts OP and it’s like you’re out to get someone, anyone, no matter what.

Is this a serious thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Reading your posts OP and it’s like you’re out to get someone, anyone, no matter what.

Is this a serious thread?

Yeah he's freaking me out now tbh. It's one thing to report things not being done properly. Quite another to go and start looking for things unrelated.

No one appreciates being threatened. Using “leverage” like this is likely only going to worsen the situation not help ease it. Why would they have any reason to cooperate with you if you reporting them for non-compliance with tax insurance, motor tax etc?

Best thing to do is call over, and politely share your concerns. Explain the impact of the noise and litter on you. Most students are just being feckless eejits away from home, but are usually decent.

Look, if the bin problem is really bad, you can make a complaint to your local litter warden. They’ll investigate and issue fines if required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I think you'll find as a tax paying citizen, you have a legal imperative to report anyone who is not tax compliant. If op finds that the house is not registered with the rtb he is well within his rights to report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

judeboy101 wrote: »

I think you'll find as a tax paying citizen, you have a legal imperative to report anyone who is not tax compliant. If op finds that the house is not registered with the rtb he is well within his rights to report it.

Being registered with the RTB and paying tax are two very different things.

The landlord is not obliged to publish a tax clearance certificate or his annual accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

OP, Just keep annoying the landlord and keep calling the guards with noise complaints.

Eventually the landlord will get pissed off with you contacting them that they will deal with it.
    The same for the Guards.

In general the guards have better things to be doing but keep calling them anyway.

Have a look here under Domestic Noise. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html#l3076c

• Advertisement

Being registered with the RTB and with the Revenue are two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joeswansong

Get on to your local county councillors.
    Should be some old people in the area who could make a complaint to a county councillor about noise the councillors would act on that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned it yet- but every local authority has an environmental health officer- who is tasked with enforcing environmental standards- which includes both litter and noise.

A first port of call- would be to lodge a complaint with the LA Environmental Health Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

You already have it out for them for what, littering?

/off topic

What is it with the Irish and their blasé attitude towards littering?

--
    pwurple wrote: »
    Disgusting attitude.

Litter is not something anyone should put up with. It's revolting, unhygienic and anti-social. Live in any other country in the world and it bloody well won't be put up with. I got a fine in Switzerland for planting the incorrect colour flowers in my own front garden for goodness sake. Keeping your own filth in your own bins is hardly asking a lot.

QFE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I think you'll find ....
    ...that you're talking out of your arse sunshine!

On the phone so can't multiple quote...

I'm certainly not out to get someone, I want to be able to sleep between 2300 to 0700 without being awoken by ridiculous loud music.

I can understand a party, but a house of 1500 sq ft with 30-40 people drinking and loud music is not on at that time.

I just contacted the owner of the property, she sounded shocked at the carry on( weather I believe her or not is another thing). It's not managed by the owner, she has an agent doing it, not really surprising.

She said I should have called the guards, but my OH did and was told(by guards) they can't do anything about it, she was adamant that the guards had to act on it.

But I've been told its a civil matter so the guards stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

But I've been told its a civil matter so the guards stay away

Thats bull**** and the guards should be knocking on the door. But not at all surprising from the gardai.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A first port of call- would be to lodge a complaint with the LA Environmental Health Officer.

+1

Second port of call:

https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution/the-three-stages-of-a-tenancy/anti-social-behaviour-third-party-cases

Advertisement