Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish bought in galway pet shop died.

Options
  • 05-02-2018 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    I bought some fish in a pet shop in Galway that was having a clearance to upgrade their tanks.

I purchased 50 in total, to be divided into 3 different already populated tanks.

I put the 50 fish in a quarantine tank and over the next few days fish were dying, I purchased some medicine (1.5hr round trip) and started to treat the tank.

Every day there were more casualties. When they stopped dying I kept them in the quarantine tank for a further few weeks and all seemed fine.

However when I added them to my other the healthy tanks, they passed whatever disease onto my fish and they started to die. I then had to make another trip to get more medicine. I treated the three tanks.

As it stands today at least 39 fish have died (made up of both New fish that died and my own fish that were contaminated and died) and a further 12 are nearly dead.

My water parameters are perfect, no signs of any disease prior, and they only tanks that have casualties are the 3 out of my 5 tanks that I added the new fish from this pet shop in.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had any similar experience lately with fish from a galway pet shop. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the shop here?)

I absolutely love my hobby and it's destroying to see your hard work is for nothing, hundreds of euro worth of fish die/being in a contaminated tank, and the poor fish go through something so horrible.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

What process did you use to add them to your tanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lcgalway

What process did you use to add them to your tanks?

To go to the quarantine tank I did the usual acclimate them to the temp by floating the bag and then put them in a bucket filed with some tank water and some fish shop water and use a net to put them in the tank.

To go from the quarantine to my other tanks, I did a water test to make sure all parameters were the same and ensured temp was the same and then used a net to do the transfer.

I make a point of ensuring that none of the water from the bags go into my quarantine tank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Lcgalway wrote: »
    To go to the quarantine tank I did the usual acclimate them to the temp by floating the bag and then put them in a bucket filed with some tank water and some fish shop water and use a net to put them in the tank.

To go from the quarantine to my other tanks, I did a water test to make sure all parameters were the same and ensured temp was the same and then used a net to do the transfer.

I make a point of ensuring that none of the water from the bags go into my quarantine tank

What type of fish were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Also, what did you feed them and did they take the food you gave them?

Berserker wrote: »
    Also, what did you feed them and did they take the food you gave them?

I've been keeping fish for two years so experienced in looking after and introducing new fish. I've been told of many others who bought fish there at the same time who suffered with the same issues as I have. So annoyed. All that effort and time and most have been wiped out by disease

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    What type of fish were they?

Tropical. Heard reports of other people with the same issues from the same fish shop at the same time

Advertisement