Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irexit party yay or nay?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I asked this before so maybe your new party has the answer...
    I fail to see how we would benefit in any way by leaving the EU. Can someone who thinks an Irish Exit* would be a good thing please enlighten me?

* I'm not going to use the stupid Irexit term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I'm not involved in the party.
    Just saw the news item.

The more political options we have in Ireland is for the better in my opinion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

zell12 wrote: »
    Only if they make sense. I can't think of one sensible reason for leaving the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not involved in the party.
    Just saw the news item.

I'm afraid that's not true. Having an opinion doesn't meant you should get a platform to share it

Ray Bassett gives an interview to BBC Daily Politics on why Irexit should happen
    After Brexit: Will Ireland be next to exit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Only if they make sense. I can't think of one sensible reason for leaving the EU.
    +1
    We may as well kiss goodbye to the last 40+ years of progress if so. We don't have the indigenous industry and mass of population that the brits have, and the common wisdom is that brexit is a terrible decision for them. For Ireland if there was ever an "Irexit", we may aswell lock up, turnoff the lights, hand over the keys and move en mass to the US or Australia or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

33951-1533056639885.png launching in Dublin on 08/09/18
    Ray Bassett, a former Irish ambassador
    Ray Kinsella, a UCD professor
    Hermann Kelly, head of communications at the Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy group of MEPs in Brussels

With Irish support for the EU running at over 90% I can see them doing really well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ray Bassett gives an interview to BBC Daily Politics on why Irexit should happen
    After Brexit: Will Ireland be next to exit?

Bassett actually came across as being measured and reasonable in my opinion. No wailing about sovereignty or foreigners at all.

That said, his position is extremely weak. He argues that Ireland must follow Britain out due to the 2 nations' close ties. He has a point but senior British politicians have postured about wreaking economic havoc on Ireland not to mention how they would try to undermine Ireland's low corporation tax rate. Factor in the amount of US multinationals who need single market access and Ireland would likely turn into a third world country overnight.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1
    We may as well kiss goodbye to the last 40+ years of progress if so. We don't have the indigenous industry and mass of population that the brits have, and the common wisdom is that brexit is a terrible decision for them. For Ireland if there was ever an "Irexit", we may aswell lock up, turnoff the lights, hand over the keys and move en mass to the US or Australia or something.

Brexit isn't a terrible decision on its own. The problem with Brexit is the trade deals afterwords are going to reduce standards of goods and services. The other issue is the fantasy trade deals May and the Conservatives are talking up such as trade with India and other emerging markets while forgetting that the reason the trade deals with the EU didn't go further was because Britain didn't want to concede on the movement of people between these third countries.

Britain doesn't understand what these emerging markets want. I think Brexit has underlined quite well the good aspects of the EU but there is no doubt the EU will have to change how it operates internally in order to keep the project alive as Euroscepticism is growing even in Ireland.

Irexit is impossible for us because we depend so heavily on other EU members washing their money through this country and foreign investors washing profits through our country. Most young people involved in the finance sector know it's largely an unregulated mess, particularly in this country but it's difficult as a small country to try regulate businesses and investors that will just leave if you try and change the status quo. As a result we will always be a pi*s in the wind economy.

33951-1533056639885.png launching in Dublin on 08/09/18
    From today's Times
    KWpXkRg.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

VonZan wrote: »
    Irexit is impossible for us because we depend so heavily on other EU members washing their money through this country and foreign investors washing profits through our country.

Most young people involved in the finance sector know it's largely an unregulated mess, particularly in this country but it's difficult as a small country to try regulate businesses and investors that will just leave if you try and change the status quo. As a result we will always be a pi*s in the wind economy.

That's true (currently) but what if these events occur within the next decade:

i) Tax-harmonisation (12.5% to 22%, and corporate flight towards mainland EU).
    ii) Further exits from the EU (Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Greece or some of the V4).
    iii) Continued mass-migration considering Ire may be the next 'destination of choice' for millions (once the UK offically leave), considering the current escalating issues with basic housing, health and infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Someone should tell Kinsella that the Irish government chose to join battlegroups and PESCO, our EU membership requires neither.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Post deleted. Take the quips somewhere else please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

From today's Times
    KWpXkRg.jpg?1

Haven't heard much from Paddy Manning in a while :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

If Ray Bassett cares so much about not having a border in Ireland, why doesn't he join Sinn Féin?

Regarding our "close ties" to Britain.
    What ties?

You don't hear the nastiness, ignorance and threats coming from any other country aimed at Ireland other than from Britain.

And as far protecting our military neutrality, Bassett would have no problem with Irish soldiers serving the British army.

The man's a joke. Grasping at straws, as are the British media who need him to try and justify their allowance of unchallenged Brexiteer nonsense.

It is not uncommon for British far right nationalist groups to pretend they care about Irish sovereignty or freedom (as they blissfully ignore our freedom is from them!).

There is a touch Lord haw haw about this attention seeker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For someone not involved in the party nor for it.

You seem to have a nack for finding and dumping media items for this nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Joke of an idea with an equally foolish name.

Herman Kelly, remind me again, didn't/ doesn't he work for/with farage? Derry man maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Brexit is not working out for the British, by any analysis. Already there is talk of another referendum, if only they could find a way to save face. Ireland going the same way might make the border issue easier for the British, but in every other way it would be a disaster and put us back 100 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If Ray Bassett cares so much about not having a border in Ireland, why doesn't he join Sinn Féin?

Regarding our "close ties" to Britain.
    What ties?

You don't hear the nastiness, ignorance and threats coming from any other country aimed at Ireland other than from Britain.

And as far protecting our military neutrality, Bassett would have no problem with Irish soldiers serving the British army.

The man's a joke. Grasping at straws, as are the British media who need him to try and justify their allowance of unchallenged Brexiteer nonsense.

It is not uncommon for British far right nationalist groups to pretend they care about Irish sovereignty or freedom (as they blissfully ignore our freedom is from them!).

There is a touch Lord haw haw about this attention seeker.

Apparently Bassett was well known for his “eccentric” views within the DFA in the last few years before he retired.

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Brexit is not working out for the British, by any analysis.

Eh? It hasn't actually happened as of yet, give it at least a few years after March '19 before assuming judgement. Chances are they'll have a proper 'tax haven island' to pimp, slurping up lots of funny money, from funny places.
    Already there is talk of another referendum

Which was 100% denied today, by May herself, who ruled it out completely, saying it would be a 'betrayal of trust'. Only powerless popstars and b-list celebs are talking about another referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Which was 100% denied today, by May herself, who ruled it out completely, saying it would be a 'betrayal of trust'. Only powerless popstars and b-list celebs are talking about another referendum.

May denies it but there are call's for a 2nd vote as well as call's for a vote on the final deal if any. Realistically if the threat of a No Deal crystallises those calls could become demand's as the penny drops. Remember 48% did vote remain though and it could become increasingly bitter closer to D-Day.

As for this "new party" it's more or less gonna end up in the same bin as Renua. It won't take off here the conditions just dont allow it not to mention the EU despite the bailout thing still is popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Infini wrote: »
    May denies it but there are call's for a 2nd vote as well as call's for a vote on the final deal if any. Realistically if the threat of a No Deal crystallises those calls could become demand's as the penny drops. Remember 48% did vote remain though and it could become increasingly bitter closer to D-Day.

There might be demand for it among many of the public, but cannot see how the new EU referendum actually emerges from current political situation before Exit day. It's grim for EU supporters there I'd say.
    Infini wrote: »
    As for this "new party" it's more or less gonna end up in the same bin as Renua. It won't take off here the conditions just dont allow it not to mention the EU despite the bailout thing still is popular.

I would not be so certain. The Irish electorate are quite gullible & foolish IMO, and expect there will be a growing constituency here for such ideas, however stupid + destructive they are.
    There was a tendency here to put blame for the crash on the EU and our politicians & media encouraged that because it let them off the hook.
    Assuming Brexit continues on track to its denouement, the UK and Russia will be also be quite interested in seeing us leave the EU and willing to throw some resources at it over the next few years I'd say. They'll be busy pushing wedges into any fissures that emerge.
    We've never really had malicious outside actors trying to influence public opinion here, so it will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

badtoro wrote: »
    Joke of an idea with an equally foolish name.

Herman Kelly, remind me again, didn't/ doesn't he work for/with farage? Derry man maybe?

Former press secretary to Nigel Farage introduced by Declan Ganley :) Now PRO for European Parliament Euro Sceptic group and soon to be out of a job with UK out of the EU.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/press-packs/hermann-kelly-interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

jm08 wrote: »
    Former press secretary to Nigel Farage introduced by Declan Ganley :) Now PRO for European Parliament Euro Sceptic group and soon to be out of a job with UK out of the EU.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/press-packs/hermann-kelly-interview

Oh Declan Ganley, it gets better 😑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fly_agaric wrote: »
    We've never really had malicious outside actors trying to influence public opinion here, so it will be interesting.

Err, we did in 1983, in 2015, and earlier this year.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

T May might have 100% denied the possibility of a 2nd vote, but the key here is how could they do a turn and still save face? Also nobody knows how things will look after March and / or the transition period. But every few days we seem to be discovering new implications which were never mentioned before. As it is so difficult to get any sort of agreement it doesn't look as if it will be "all for the better" on either side. I still think they will leave, but it might just be in name only eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Err, we did in 1983, in 2015, and earlier this year.
    :rolleyes:
    Our referendums on abortion, marriage etc (if that is what you are referring to?) are important social issues for Ireland, but with all due respect they are not as critical as our foreign policy + probably the key issues in that (relationships with the EU and UK).
    The potential for harm (to us) and the benefits for others (which would incentivise them to get involved) are greater with this issue.

T May might have 100% denied the possibility of a 2nd vote, but the key here is how could they do a turn and still save face? Also nobody knows how things will look after March and / or the transition period. But every few days we seem to be discovering new implications which were never mentioned before. As it is so difficult to get any sort of agreement it doesn't look as if it will be "all for the better" on either side. I still think they will leave, but it might just be in name only eventually.

You seem to clutching at straws, even after her denial of any 2nd Ref.

The will leave in March 19, deal or no deal (as Noel Edmunds used to say). Time to wake up and smell the coffee maybe.

Any deal type agreement will be heavily in their favour i.e. free movement (sale) of goods across the EU, but not services, and certainly no free movement of people (which was the actual cause of brexit).

The only possibility for the remoaners, is that they may attempt a re-entry but at 2030 (at the very earliest), strengthened by the desire for the former-UK getting a hold again, of an independent free Alba (Scotland).

Then again who knows what the EU of 2030 will look like? Suspect there will be plenty of serious societal issues to deal with by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Any deal type agreement will be heavily in their favour i.e. free movement (sale) of goods across the EU, but not services, and certainly no free movement of people (which was the actual cause of brexit).

Um... no. Barnier from Sunday:

'“By the way, the British have a choice. They could stay in the single market, like Norway, which is also not a member of the EU – but they would then have to take over all the associated rules and contributions to European solidarity. It is your choice.

“But if we let the British pick the raisins out of our rules, that would have serious consequences. Then all sorts of other third countries could insist that we offer them the same benefits. That would be the end of the single market and the European project.”

The idea that the EU would agree to any deal which would endanger the EU's four freedoms is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I was reading the Twitter page for this new Irexit Freedom (which is a really stupid name by the way). I got serious deja vu from it.

Regain our sovereignty - check (also apparently pooled sovereignity = no sovereignty, which must make these guys just delightful in group events where it must be THEIR way because otherwise it's Not Fair)
    A retweet where the obvious most important part was calling open borders a deadly threat.
    Regain control of our money, etc and destiny from the EU.
    Unelected etcs.
    An independent Ireland can drive it's own successful path etc.

Also heavily pro-Trump. But of course.

"Conservatism is the new counter culture. Be a Patriot. Be a Rebel." (May be slightly paraphrased but only slightly if so.)

It's like they just cribbed Farage's notes. And there is a connection between Hermann Kelly and Nigel Farage. Quelle surprise.

Advertisement