Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'You decide your fate. Are you going to fall apart or own it?'

• 05-02-2018 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Old Log: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88234748

2017 Recap:
    12 mile PB at Belfast 24 National and World Champs

3,691.8 miles total run

Female International Ranking for 24 Hours in 2017: 167/1416 (263/1221 in 2016)

Female Irish Ranking for 24 Hours in 2017: 6th (9th in 2016)

Aim for 2018: To run 200km in Belfast 24 Hour 2018

Catch up from old log to present: After Belfast 24 Hour race last year, I took 2 weeks off training for complete recovery. I built back up very slowly after that with the aim of running Listowel 12 Hour race at the end of September. I gradually built back up to an 80 mile week and a long run of 24 miles however I was having quite a few poor runs, where the energy levels just weren't what they should have been. Things deteriorated a bit more and I got to a point where I just wasn't enjoying it a whole lot. Lots of good days, but too many bad ones too. My arm was also very sore and the long runs weren't helping it to recover. Had a chat with the boss man, and was advised to really consider dropping out of the 12 hour race and cutting things right back to basics for a while. It was a hard thing to do, as I had invested a lot into building up for the 12 hour race, but deep down I knew it was the right thing to do. After a lot of consideration, I decided to pull the plug and did exactly as I was told on the training front to get the zest back, and just ran for fun for a few months, not going over 65 minutes for any run. Well, you know what, it worked! Started really feeling myself again and then we started building again. In October we introduced a weekly AeT workout as part of my long run and a session of strides, and did some LT work. All was going really well and had built up to a 70ish mile week and long run of 18 miles just before Christmas, but then I got that flu-type thing that was doing the rounds and it knocked me off my feet completely for a week and it was a very slow build back up again in January. I also had to get lots of vaccination shots in January which brought on more flu-like symptoms and made me feel really crappy at times.
    I'm nowhere near where I was this time last year on the mileage front where I was at 100 mile weeks already in my build up for Belfast, but I'm trying not to dwell on that too much. Maybe the much slower and more gradual build year will actually work out better for me come June.

So, I'll resume the log now for February with regular updates.

Sunday 4th February, 2018
    10:30am and I'm lying on my bed under my mosquito net. There's a cockerel crowing loudly right outside the bedroom window and it hasn't stopped since about 3am this morning (I didn't sleep more than 2 hours last night, but I'm not blaming the cockerel, it could be my body getting used to the altitude, or the 24 hours of exhausting travel to get to my destination, or it could be the general feeling of excitement, which has my heart pounding non stop since I arrived here. I'm lying here looking at my feet and wondering why I can't get the red dust stains out of them, no matter how hard I tried to scrub them. I'm recently back from my second run since I arrived here on Friday night. Just 3 miles, but I won't call them easy, even at 10:30ish pace, as there's nothing easy about running here when getting used to altitude. I'll be living with red feet for the month of February so I better get used to them. I'm here in Iten, Kenya, at the start of a once in a lifetime running adventure where all I'll be doing is running and recovering for ONE WHOLE MONTH! So far, it's been a whirlwind, and I'm only here a few days. I'm very excited about what awaits for this very slow Mzungu....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1391548982

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Enjoy your running adventure, really looking forward to reading all about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yay, Great to see you logging here again, looking forward to following your exploits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Delighted you're back logging! I saw on strava that you were in Iten and was hoping you'd tell us about it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

wow 1 month!! Amazing experience awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant, hope you have a great time, and also it's nice that you're back logging again. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Thanks so much, kind peeps for the lovely welcome back 😊😊😊
    Yep, the main reason for logging again is to document this experience properly as I probably wouldn't bother keeping account otherwise. And believe me, it is SO worth logging about!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

This is really great to see. Can't wait to read about your adventures.

Great to see you logging again A. Have a great time in Iten. Looking forward to hearing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was intrigued when I saw your strava activity. How did the trip come about? Did you consider doing the trip a bit later in the year to maximise the benefits for the 24-hour race, or would it just be too hot? All the best over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Welcome back, A! looking forward to hearing all about it...

• Advertisement

Background to trip:
    Righto. I'm sure a lot of people are wondering why the hell someone like me would go to Iten to train ;) ...and I don't blame you.
    I was basically made an offer I couldn't refuse by my coach who was spending a few months out there to get a new coaching and scholarship project off the ground, and invited some of the people he trains out on a subsidised trip to get involved and to train. My initial reaction when asked did I want to go along, was to laugh, and subsequent reactions were to laugh some more. The main reason I gave not to go was that runners of my ability, don't do stuff like that and that I'd just feel foolish. Other reasons I gave not to go were: that I'm broke; I couldn't 'do' 24 hours' flying, with my claustrophobia issues (I barely made it back from Lisbon a few months ago and there may have been some tears on the flight!); I have a personal family reason that would make it difficult for me to be away for so long; and also, that people like me don't do stuff like that (I think I might have mentioned that bit already ;)
    I put it out of my head altogether for a few weeks, but my coach didn't let it go completely, and brought it up periodically, and he thought I was mad to pass up this opportunity, and that I'd definitely get some benefit from it for my training for Belfast, so I started thinking - 'hmmmm, what if I did go'...

Gradually, my reasons for not wanting to go seemed like mere excuses. If I really wanted to do this, I could. It was time to start taking some control over certain things in my life that I could control, instead of letting some kind of imaginary outside force control me and tell me that this couldn't happen. I can decide my own fate; so, did I really want to go?

(blame the altitude if I'm starting to sound a bit crazy ;) it can do funny things to the mind, along with the body)

It's now day 24 of my African adventure with just 2 days left...

So much has happened since I last posted, that I don't know where to start to try and relay it all! I laugh to myself now when I think about how I was worried about being bored here. Each day has been filled with so many amazing all-consuming experiences, and exciting encounters, that I really haven't had time to update this log like I had hoped. But that doesn't matter, as these are memories which will be deeply embedded into memory for a very long time like how the red dust has been etched into the crevices of my feet...

Running has been going well but I haven't been able to do as much as I had hoped, for a few different reasons. My sleep has been very poor in general and I have been very busy helping my coach with the Scholarship Project that he has set up for local Kenyan runners here in Iten. You can read all about it here: www.aretescholarshipprogram.com
    It's been so rewarding being involved in this project, and the whole thing has been a real eye opener as to the reality of life for a full time Kenyan athlete trying to get by, day by day.

Even though I'm doing less mileage, and it's a lot slower than home, I actually feel more like a runner now than I used to, and I really feel I've developed my running skills, with breathing in the constantly rising dust, battling with the hills and stones, the altitude, the heat, and the trails. I have a feeling I'll be more inclined to run more trails and hills, and be a bit more adventurous in general with my running endeavours when I get back home.
    I'll be ramping up the mileage now in a big way, when I get back to Ireland next week in preparation for Belfast in June. I feel I have a good base now to work from and hopefully will get a little boost from my training here.

I have gotten to know some local runners quite well at this stage who are being sponsored by the Arete Scholarship Project, and have even had the privilege to run with some of them. One guy who's become a real friend is only 19, and has run a 13.48 5k, and qualified for the World Junior Champs in Steeplechase for Kenyan, but is happy to plod along with me at 10-11min/mile and he actually does a lot of his easy runs at this pace normally. Hard days definitely hard for these guys, and easy days, super super easy.

These runners have such passion and ambition for their future in running, but how they struggle to make ends meet on a daily basis, makes things so tough for them to fulfil any of their hopes and dreams. These are some of the gentlest, and most genuine people I have ever met in my life, and are so humble and gracious for any little thing you might be able to do for them (a teeshirt, a pair of shorts, a few shillings etc). So far, my coach has taken on 4 local runners as a little team who train together. One guy, N, is the real star of the show and has a great future. Another guy was a pacer all over Europe a few years back, but lives in a shack now with 2 kids, a wife, a baby on the way and struggles to put food on the table. One of the other guys lived in a hut that you wouldn't put a dog in. But they've been moved into decent new accommodation now and have proper beds and a few simple things that will make their lives easier, thanks to my coach and the fundraising achieved so far for the Scholarship.
    I've been down to Tambach Track to watch them in action a few times now, and it has been a very special experience each time. I'm very excited to see how they will develop in the future. Jogging around Tambach Track on a Tuesday watching hundreds of Kenyan and international athletes in action, has definitely been one of the highlights of my trip.

Many interesting encounters have been had. I've had the honour of meeting up with 2 great coaches who are based over here: Hugo van den Broke and John Litei, and spent many hours discussing our Scholarship Project and how they will be able to help us in the future, along with hearing about their own athletes' training and viewing some of their elite athletes' training schedules.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1408892111
    I also had the pleasuring of meeting up with our very own Sergiu Ciobanu on many occasions also. What a gent! An absolute pleasure to chat running with him for a few hours! I've basically been living and breathing running for 24 days now and I'm SO going to miss it!!!!! Not sure how I will re-adjust to normal life again!
    But that's the exciting bit, I might not have to in the future!:) Along with helping my coach with the Arete Scholarship Project, we've started a new running venture here in Iten, which means I'll be back again later in the year, and again next year :D
    My African adventure continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sounds amazing. I was going to tell you to fill a bottle with the red Iten dust as a reminder of your adventure but as you're going to be a returning runner there's probably no need!!!!
    Good luck with the venture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fascinating reading, thanks for posting the update! Sounds like an incredible experience. Great to hear that the adventure will continue - looking forward to hearing more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Just found your log (yes I'm slow :o). Wow, what an adventure. Can't wait to see what the time at altitude does for your running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds like a fantastic experience A, the best of luck with your future plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Only came across your log this morning A, so incredibly happy to see you back logging not to mention reading about your adventures in Iten (I'm seriously jealous).

I've only just finished reading Running with the Kenyans so I feel like I've a mental picture of exactly where you were and what you were doing.

I'm delighted that you decided to go in the end and it sounds like I may get you out on the trails :) Really looking forward to see how the altitude training translates to Irish soil when you get back.

My post is the last post here A, just sitting there, all on it's own :( don't feel sad for it, you can make it feel better by updating us :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    My post is the last post here A, just sitting there, all on it's own :( don't feel sad for it, you can make it feel better by updating us :)

Haha that's a bit sad alright :(
    Too busy and tired running morning, noon, and night, to update:D
    Will get on it this week ;) Thanks, S and big congrats to you!

Ode to Neady:D

Righto, when I left off, I was back home from Kenya. I arrived back into the snow drifts after a two and a half day trek from my Iten home to my Dublin home. I think I can now safely say that I have recovered from my fear of flying (the fear was due to claustrophobia, not the actual flying).

I had the flights from hell coming back, with delays all over the place, and being stuck in a hot Addis Ababa airport for many hours, without even being allowed to take any water through to a very long wait in departures. I then got almost murdered and worse (slight exaggeration possibly!) in Nairobi, where I read later you should never just pick up a taxi off the street, but should book ahead to ensure you are looking after your personal safety! Won’t make that mistake again! I was never so happy to not be murdered (or worse) in my whole life when arriving back at the airport in Nairobi the next morning. I had to spend a very scary night in a dodgy hotel which was supposed to be 2 km from the airport, but turned out to be about 20km away and I really felt it was a taxi ride taking me to the end of my existence!

Oh, and then there was the 12 hour delay when we tried to land in Dublin airport at 6am on the Wednesday morning, but had to divert to Shannon due to the snow, and were stuck on the plane on the runway for 5 hours, before being allowed into the airport to wait for another 5 hours before we eventually got the last flight back to Dublin for many days. So yes, my claustrophobia issues have been sorted for once and for all. There was a time not too long ago when I couldn’t even travel in a taxi through Dublin without freaking out (confined space with no control), and now I can do, and go, wherever the hell I damn well want without worrying about it. Result!

Oh yes, this is a training log, and not a platform for sorting out my psychological issues :D

Feb 26, 2018 - Mar 4, 2018
    So, I couldn’t really run very much the week after I came back from Iten. I was really looking forward to seeing how easy things felt for me after returning from altitude, but that was not to be, as like the rest of you, I was frustratingly battling my way through feet of snow, trying to do some kind of jogging motion, but it wasn’t easy at all. https://www.strava.com/activities/1433705966
    Took 2 days off that week with travel.
    Weekly total: 35.8 miles / 6hours 20 mins

Mar 5, 2018 - Mar 11, 2018

A bit of normalcy resumes with the weather, however, I was having lots of dizzy spells while running, and just not feeling very strong. Felt that iron might be a bit low so started looking after myself a bit better regarding eating and sleeping. RHR a bit too high also. Had a few decent runs and one OK progression run, but in general not great.
    Weekly total: 70 miles / 11hours 37 mins

Mar 12, 2018 - Mar 18, 2018

Feeling a fair bit better this week with strength improving and sleep really good. Appetite increasing with the increasing miles. Long run up to 18 miles. Have decided on this training block to run the long runs super slow to allow myself to increase mileage on last year. I peaked at 120 miles last year (weekly total), but feel I can do more this year if I dial back the effort big time. https://www.strava.com/activities/1457294354

Weekly total: 80 miles / 13 hours 31 mins

Mar 19, 2018 - Mar 25, 2018
    Starting to feel really good now. Energy levels definitely back to normal and sleep in general is brilliant. Long run up to 22 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/1469132866 and 4 x doubles this week.

Weekly total: 90.2 miles / 15 hours 2 mins

Mar 26, 2018 - Apr 1, 2018
    Another really good week with long run of 26.2 miles (26 was on the plan, but sure why not while I’m at it… ) https://www.strava.com/activities/1481876443

I was well able to do an 8 miler the morning after the marathon run, and a 6 miler that evening, so delighted that I seem to be recovering very quickly and have absolutely no niggles at all. Still doing AIS religiously before every single run as I have been doing for a few years now and feel still that this is what’s holding it all together for me.
    Weekly total: 96 miles / 16 hours

So, very pleased now with how things are going and how I’m feeling. I feel that dialing back the effort to absolute minimum on most of my runs is going to allow me to manage some really big weeks and long runs. Myself and my coach are thinking that I might be able to climb as high as 140 miles as my peak week, but as ever, we’ll see how I go as the days and weeks progress and nothing will be forced. I’m dropping all speed work now and the focus is just on getting the miles run, and as many weekly hours on the feet as possible without breaking…
    11 weeks and counting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I started following you on Strava after I saw the first post on this log, and while part of me thinks you are mad, the rest of me is in absolute awe at the mileage ! Not to mention the ability to run that loop so many times... your mental strength is something else!

96 miles in a week :eek::eek::eek: not more updates please, you're putting us to shame :)

Seriously, cracking dedication to the plan going on A. If anyone deserves to be rewarded for hard core training, it's you. My mind goes numb just thinking about 26.2miles of loops on my own.

Keep those updates coming .... even short ones, they'll benefit plenty of people on here and in time to come.

Apr 2, 2018 - Apr 8, 2018
    No long run this week as we are just going super long every 2 weeks now. Everything done at an easy effort. 4 x double days.
    Weekly total: 100.0miles / 16hrs 44mins

Apr 9, 2018 - Apr 15, 2018
    Took a trip to Tralee for some coaching, focusing mainly on running form. Did some hills and drills with the boss and noticed an almost immediate improvement in how I am running. Everything feels more fluid this week and my easy pace seems to have quickened a bit. Got back into some work commuting this week which I really enjoyed. Had one of my best (if not The best) ever long runs of 30 miles easy @ 9:43 pace (27 x 1 mile loops of local park). It felt effortless and I felt in a great place, mentally and physically. The long runs can sometimes be mentally draining, but this wasn’t. A memorable run, and it instilled a huge amount of confidence in me for Belfast. If 9:40s pace feels so easy for 5 hours, then my starting pace of 10:30ish should feel like a walk by the time the race comes around. In theory anyway…
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1508022749
    Weekly total: 106.4miles / 17hrs 36mins

Apr 16, 2018 - Apr 22, 2018
    Lots of work commuting this week and no long run. Nothing of note happened during the weekly runs, but I ended the week on Sunday, with a worrisome niggle at the back of my knee. I thought I’d never be able to run again:eek:. I was SO depressed on Monday:( …. Got some expert advice from my coach about how to manage the niggle so treated it with lots of TLC on Sunday pm and all day Monday. Took Monday off and tried a very cagey run on Tuesday morning. It turned out to be nothing and I’m absolutely fine :D #dramaqueen
    Weekly total: 100.6miles / 16h 54m

Feeling positive with 8 weeks to D-Day, so that leaves about 5 weeks of intensive training ahead. I reached 1,000 miles for the year on Tuesday, which is over a month later than last year, but I actually feel that my running is in a better place overall now. My easy pace is generally quicker, and I feel very strong, and feel I can handle a lot more weekly mileage. My appetite is out of control altogether as I’m eating everything in sight, but I’m still losing weight. I don’t mind losing a bit more, but definitely don’t want to be all scrawny and gaunt, so I guess I’m going to have to find a way to eat even more so lots more snacking during the day. No problemo!

Starting to think about strategies and goals etc for race day now. Things will be pretty similar to last year, but I hope to be able to hold my starting pace for many hours longer this year. There is only one distance goal and I'm making no secret about it this year as I need as much pressure on me as possible to do my very best to achieve it ....... 200km!

Happy days! All is good in AoifeLand!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I started following you on Strava after I saw the first post on this log, and while part of me thinks you are mad, the rest of me is in absolute awe at the mileage ! Not to mention the ability to run that loop so many times... your mental strength is something else!

Ah, thanks, my dear! The looping thing is not a problem. I never get bored running loops. Probably mad ;)
    96 miles in a week :eek::eek::eek: not more updates please, you're putting us to shame :)

Seriously, cracking dedication to the plan going on A. If anyone deserves to be rewarded for hard core training, it's you. My mind goes numb just thinking about 26.2miles of loops on my own.

Keep those updates coming .... even short ones, they'll benefit plenty of people on here and in time to come.

Thanks a million, S. I just updated again before you came after me! I must go and catch up with your log now. I've been very bad lately with reading and posting... Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Good stuff A - best of luck over the final pre-race stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great to read your log after seeing all those runs on Strava. You are doing incredible mileage. Flying it.

Very interesting strategy this year with one extra long run every two weeks and it seems to be working. I've changed things up this year too with more long runs, a speed session, few shorter races and less bits of long runs here and there and I feel that it's paying off. Mind you, my approach is a lot less scientifically thought out than your coaches :)

Only 8 weeks, where has the year gone?

Apr 23, 2018 - Apr 29, 2018
    Well the niggle turned out to not be an issue and didn’t impede any of the training, thank fcuk! Plenty of run-mutes this week which did give me a bit of a sore neck from carrying the backpack but other than that, all was good. Had a really good 30 mile run on the Saturday and did it at 24 hour effort https://www.strava.com/activities/1536989325 .
    I’ll start out even slower for the race by keeping an eye on my watch so I’m not going too ‘fast’, but just did this one by feel and it worked out at 10:16 pace, which felt like my ‘all day’ effort that day.
    This was done in the Acres in the Phoenix Park and I think I covered 17 loops and got a new CR on Strava for the Marathon distance segment I created there last year. I wonder when that one will be challenged :Dhttps://www.strava.com/activities/1536989325/segments/38385801674
    Met ‘outforarun’ who was doing a hard session in the opposite direction. He introduced himself to me when he was on his cool down and we had a lovely little chat about all things running. Great to meet you![/FONT]
    Weekly total: 110.7 miles 18hours 26 mins

Apr 30, 2018 - May 6, 2018
    For the first time ever in training, I developed a blister this week. It’s on my left foot around the toe nail so the toe nail is very loose and will be parting company with me sooner rather than later I hope. It made for a few very uncomfortable runs, so ended up cutting a piece out of the top of the trainer where it was hitting the sore toe. This worked out great and has been fine ever since but I’m a tad worried about going into the race now with probably a nail-less toe, or one that’s half hanging off. Not ideal at all as it’ll be quite sensitive, but we’ll see what the next few weeks bring. Luckily, it didn’t hinder my training for the week.
    Weekly total: 108.5 miles 17hours 47 mins

So, six weeks to go to Belfast, and only 3 weeks of hard training left before taper. My easy pace is definitely quicker than it was last year and feeling generally fitter overall. That could be something to do with the month of training in Iten, or not, I don’t know, but I suspect it did help me aerobically a bit. I’m still eating absolutely loads and my sleep in general is better than it’s been for years, if not ever. Anyone who read my old log will know I have had huge struggles with sleeping all my life, but for some reason (not the mileage as I’ve run big mileage in previous years), something clicked with my sleeping and I’m getting hours and hours of uninterrupted sleep nearly every single night. I think this is going to help my running massively going forward and I’m currently considering what direction to go after Belfast. But if I did decide to maybe train for a marathon, I feel now that I might be actually able to do something decent, as for the first time in my running life, I’m able to recover properly from my training due to being able to sleep. Anyways, lots to think about, and much of it depends on how Belfast goes… I am returning to Iten in October to work on the Arete Project https://www.aretescholarshipprogram.com/, so I hope to be well recovered from Belfast by then to be able to train really hard for the month of October over there, and will have made a decision by then about what path my training will take. SO exciting!!!

But first things first as Belfast is the sole focus for now…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Ah Jaysus I've only just found this. Good to see it back up and...eh, running

*Edit - would also love to see you give the marathon a crack sometime. Best of luck with the next few weks though, first things first

• Advertisement

May 7, 2018 - May 13, 2018
    A few days running in Killarney early in the week around the beautiful National Park and surrounding areas. Great weather in general and some top notch company too. Really enjoyed the break away from my every day training. A few run commutes later in the week and a super duper 30 mile run in the Acres in the Phoenix Park where I rehearsed everything I’ll be doing for race day. Met Ultraman’s Da out for a walk, and had a lovely chat, and spotted a few other familiar faces during my 5 hour sojourn in the Acres. Felt a million dollars after the run and very fresh afterwards https://www.strava.com/activities/1567516076 . I was flying the next morning on my 12 miler and had another pleasant 10 miler in Kilkenny that evening to round off my biggest week this year. Can’t believe I’m feeling this good while running this much. It’s one thing to be able to physically run the miles, but it’s another story altogether to be feeling really good on it and to mentally be dealing with it very well and just enjoying it all so much. It’s never a chore… it’s a privilege.

Weekly Total: 120 miles / 19 hours 54 mins

May 14, 2018 - May 20, 2018

Kick-started the week with a run from Kilkenny railway station, around the city, and then out to the folks’ house. A very pleasurable 13 miler and it is very obvious that my easy pace is definitely getting faster. The rest of my runs that week (all 11 of them!) were done as one mile loops in my local park. I did however notice a few minor niggles starting to crop up on shins and hamstrings. Nothing that stopped me from training, but niggles nonetheless that shouldn’t be there and were of minor concern. I got some great advice from the boss man, and we tweaked many things, to ensure I am recovering properly between runs, and the niggles abated gradually. Recovery from runs has never been so important and it really seems to be all the little minor things that end up helping recovery in a big way if managed correctly.

I’m paying proper attention to my diet now and am eating a ridiculous amount to ensure I have all bases covered :D I’m eating about 8 times a day!
    This was my biggest volume running week ever since I started running (I peaked at 120 miles last year) and I have to say that mentally and physically, it was one of the best weeks of my training too. My overall pace for the week was faster than ever even though it was all easy running. SO happy things are going so well.
    Only 4 weeks to D-Day! I’m SO excited now I can’t contain myself. It’s a year since I’ve raced and I’m raring to go. Another huge week this week and then I start tapering :D
    Weekly Total: 130.5 miles / 20 hours 54 minutes

Incredible work A :) you must be very excited for race day!

I love your enthusiasm in this post. You sound like you are at the top of your game right now. I’ll be excited for you on race day.

It's going to be some race for you this year A, what an unbelievable three years of dedicated training (not to mention the years of building to get ready to do your first 24 hour) to get to this point where you're feeling good after 120 and 130 mile weeks. It just goes to show that you have to look ahead to the long term goal and focus on that.

You have to be commended for your attitude to your training, I wouldn't have the confidence or the motivation to pin all my training on one race a year, that takes a massive amount of willpower.

Really looking forward to following your progress on race day :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Incredible work A :) you must be very excited for race day!
    I am indeed! Extremely excited!!!! Thanks so much and really hope things are going well for you.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I love your enthusiasm in this post. You sound like you are at the top of your game right now. I’ll be excited for you on race day.
    Haha, a bit over enthusiastic maybe sometimes:). Thank you! There should be a tracker available on race day so I'll post up a link when I know.
    Hope the training is going really well.
    It's going to be some race for you this year A, what an unbelievable three years of dedicated training (not to mention the years of building to get ready to do your first 24 hour) to get to this point where you're feeling good after 120 and 130 mile weeks. It just goes to show that you have to look ahead to the long term goal and focus on that.

You have to be commended for your attitude to your training, I wouldn't have the confidence or the motivation to pin all my training on one race a year, that takes a massive amount of willpower.

Really looking forward to following your progress on race day :)

Yes, I am really surprised myself that I can cope well with the training but I guess it is a long slow gradual build up over the last few years as you say.

Yeah, I am probably unusual with the lack of racing but being perfectly honest, there was no race that really interested me locally, and I couldn't justify the cost of travelling to races that were only really going to be training runs when I can just do the runs myself for free. If it does go pear shaped on race day for whatever reason, I do have a few backup races in mind in the not too distant future. As you know yourself, with races of this length, there are any number of things that can go wrong on the day, so I definitely need to have a race to fall back on if the worst happens.

Congrats on the recent 5k pb and amazing performance in the Highland Fling! Super report and photos. I'd love to see you take on a looped 24 hour like Belfast some day! Ever think of it? I think you could do amazingly well with your experience and natural capacity for endurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Came across your log this morning and had a look at your old log.
    There’s the making of a book there, really is.
    Anyway hope you don’t mind me posting and the very best of luck in Belfast.

• Advertisement

May 21, 2018 - May 27, 2018
    So, this was my peak week of training for Belfast, and the biggest volume week I’ve ever done since I started running. The plan was for no super long run, but to pack the miles in with lots of doubles, and plenty of recovery in between, so I got out earlier than usual in the mornings, and did the later run a little later in the evenings where possible. I mentioned in the last post that I’d had a few minor niggles in the legs, so I was advised to pull back on the pace. Even though 9.20 and 30 pace was feeling super easy for me aerobically, it was better to give myself every chance of proper recovery between runs to allow myself to do the big mileage week, so I slowed down things as much as possible.

Monday

Am: 12 miles @ 9:49

Local trot around the area, feeling good and holding back on the pace.
    Pm: 12 miles @ 9:50
    Local loops

Tuesday
    am: 12 miles @ 9:48
    pm: 12 miles @ 9:45

Wednesday
    Am: 12 miles @ 9:45
    I am getting stopped regularly in my local park by dog walkers asking why I am always running there. I try to explain the race I’m doing and it confuses them even more. Some of them think I am completely crazy.Sometimes it’s hard to get around without having to regularly stop to chat which can be a bit of a pain.
    Pm: 12 miles @ 9:42

Thursday
    10 miles @ 9:45
    Easy day! Only one run :)

Friday
    Am: 5 miles @ 9:59
    Pre work plod. Am not a morning runner at all, but enjoyed this as the weather was so beautiful.
    Pm: 9 miles @ 9:48

Saturday
    20 miles @ 10:16
    The plan was to do this at 24 hour effort. A tiny bit over race pace but pretty close. Legs felt good and rehearsed everything again for race day. Was very hot though and didn’t put sunscreen so got fairly badly burned.

Sunday
    Am: 12 miles @ 9:57
    Pm: 12 miles @ 9:47

Weekly total: 140.2 miles / 23HOURS 4 MINUTES – I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And the best bit is, I’m feeling fantastic and have absolutely no niggles and I don’t even feel tired!

May 28, 2018 - Jun 3, 2018
    Taper Week 1
    Monday
    Am: 6 miles @ 10 pace
    Got to my Acres loop in the Phoenix Park only to realise my watch was dead. Tried using the phone app, but it wouldn’t work properly and I had no idea of my pace and I’m not exactly sure of the length of the loop so just ended up getting really frustrated not having control over the run. It was very hot and I had to carry the phone too and it kept slipping out of my sweaty hand so I jacked in the run after what I felt was about 6 miles. I got told off later for not just running for the allotted 2ish hours anyway so I won’t be bailing out on a run like this again just because I’m addicted to my watch/stats. Lesson learned! I need to change my mentality a bit!
    Pm: 12 miles @ 10:13
    I mentally struggled a bit today. I’d have no problem running the same loop in my park twice a day for the rest of my life, but I am sick of the same people seeing me and commenting to me about always running there. I have to pass the same people about 6 times or more on each run and it just all got to me today, so I ran down in Albert College Park instead. It’s a lovely park but I prefer my local one for running in.

Tuesday
    Am: 12 miles @ 10:07
    Pm: 12 miles @ 10:16
    Definitely a little tired today and last week catching up on me a bit methinks.

Wednesday
    This was the first day off in my plan for a few weeks and it was perfectly timed as the batteries really needed recharging both mentally and physically!

Thursday
    10 miles @ 9:40
    Easy single today. Felt great. Did a few of these miles with my bro. The day off did me so much good.

May Monthly Total: 552 Miles / 91 hours (highest to date)

Friday
    10 miles @ 9:51
    Another easy day with just the one run.

Saturday

16 miles @ 10:15
    Was done at 24 hour race pace. Timed some pee stops too as these can really eat up time in a 24 hour so need to speed ‘em up as much as possible! I’m currently at 30 seconds for an ‘en plein air’ pee, and over 1 minute for an indoor pee :)

Sunday
    Am: 10 miles @ 9:59
    Pm: 10 miles @ 9:43
    Met Skyblue from these parts on my evening run in my local park. Great to meet you, S, and lovely to hear about your running and how much you are enjoying it. Great gains made in such a short period of time and lots more to come from you!
    Weekly Total: 90 miles / 16 hours 50 mins

Jun 4, 2018 - Jun 10, 2018

Taper Week 2
    Monday
    Am: 12 miles @ 9:57
    Pm: 8 miles @ 9:44

Tuesday

Am: 12 miles @ 10:14
    Pm: 6 miles @ 11

Wednesday
    10 miles @ 10:07
    Very busy with a new calligraphy project this week, so delighted to have lots of singles to allow me more time to work on it without disruptions.

Thursday
    6 miles @ 9:47

Friday
    10 miles @ 9:43

Saturday

14 miles @ 10:13
    Race day pace again. Rehearsed breakfast and outfit etc. Very warm today, and that kind of heat used to really bother me in the past, but since having experienced running in Kenya, where you have not only the heat to deal with, but the altitude and the terrain also, it’s an absolute breeze plodding along in the mid-day sun and doesn’t concern me in the least. Am delighted about this as if race day is hot, I feel fairly confident that I’ll be ok.

Sunday
    Rest. What? Another day off??? This taper lark is hard to get used to!

Weekly Total: 78 miles / 13 hours 7 minutes

So, am well into my 3rd week of taper now and feeling good. No niggles in the legs and they’re starting to feel nice and fresh. Need to cut back a bit on the eating now as I want to be as light as possible for race day so my daily Lidl giant chocolate chip cookie has had to go along with the excesses of white bread :( All healthy nutritious food from here on in. I was very bold and had a few glasses of wine early this week, but that’s out the window now completely until after the race. Am getting my race crew prepped in the next few days and starting to go through lists from the previous years to ensure I remember everything I need to bring with me on the day. Having done this race twice already, it’s great not having to worry about logistics etc as I have most of it nailed down to a ‘T’ (table, chairs, tents for crew, system for my nutrition on the day etc, race day pacing plan etc etc). It’s finally starting to become real now and I’m getting genuinely very excited. I feel strong, and very well trained. I got through the whole year without having to take a day off for sickness or injury, so count myself very lucky on that score. All the little details for this training block have been so well micro-managed by my coach, that as long as nothing outside of my control goes wrong on the day, I feel I have a very good chance of reaching my A goal. The big thing for me on the day is that when the going gets really tough (which it 100% will), that I stay strong and in control, and not start making excuses and giving in to that little voice… But I won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Superb. So impressive, looking forward to seeing how the race goes! Will there be trackers for the event? Not sure how these ultras work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

The very best of luck.

You've started timing your pee's .... this is a whole new level of keeping to time (mental note made for my own races going forward) :)

You have enough experience and training behind you to not give that little voice a platform, I've no doubt that you have it silenced. You're on the home straight, it's very exciting though I understand that the nerves must be kicking in now. eeekkkk

Great stuff, A - all the best.

Why don't you ask those people in the park why they're always walking there? That'll put manners on 'em. ;)

Enjoy the final taper week.

• Advertisement

Amazing training!! You will reap the reward :D

Is it time to pack yet? Can only imagine the butterflies in your stomach this week :)

Been thinking of you loads. I’ll be on holidays so hope I have WiFi to track you.

Hope you are feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Best of luck for the 24hour, hope everything goes according to plan :)

You couldn't have done anything more in training or preparation I don't think.

I'll be checking the tracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck A not that you need it looking at the prep

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Superb. So impressive, looking forward to seeing how the race goes! Will there be trackers for the event? Not sure how these ultras work...
    Hey! Thanks so much, ReeReeG! The timing is being done by Myrunresults.com so I guess there will be a link there on the day or it will be posted here https://www.facebook.com/belfast24/
    Hope your running is going great!!!
    You've started timing your pee's .... this is a whole new level of keeping to time (mental note made for my own races going forward) :)

You have enough experience and training behind you to not give that little voice a platform, I've no doubt that you have it silenced. You're on the home straight, it's very exciting though I understand that the nerves must be kicking in now. eeekkkk
    Yep, it's PMA all the way, Neady. Not nervous at all which is weird. Strangely calm :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Great stuff, A - all the best.

Why don't you ask those people in the park why they're always walking there? That'll put manners on 'em. ;)

Enjoy the final taper week.
    Haha, funny you should say that. There's one woman in particular who I was seeing in there absolutely every single day, no matter what time I went running at! She has about 10 dogs. I met her in there one evening, after having seen her that morning too, and got my own back by asking her why she's ALWAYS in there! She looked really embarrassed :D:D
    RubyK wrote: »
    Amazing training!! You will reap the reward :D
    Thanks so much, A! Let's hope so!!!! Great to see your running going well:)

Is it time to pack yet? Can only imagine the butterflies in your stomach this week :)
    Am excited alright, and really can't wait to get going! Packing things at my leisure this week. It's great that it doesn't start until 1pm so can travel up that morning and sleep in my own bed the night before. Thanks for all your amazing support over the training block!!!!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Been thinking of you loads. I’ll be on holidays so hope I have WiFi to track you.

Hope you are feeling good.
    Really appreciate that, Kellygirl. Am feeling really good! No excuses, no regrets...
    Best of luck for the 24hour, hope everything goes according to plan :)

You couldn't have done anything more in training or preparation I don't think.

I'll be checking the tracker!
    Means a lot, thanks, M! Yep, absolutely delighted with the training and prep. The whole thing has been an absolute blast!!! Thanks again.
    ger664 wrote: »
    Best of luck A not that you need it looking at the prep
    Cheers, Ger! Very kind of you to say. A little bit of luck with the weather would be nice all the same!!! See you there if you are crewing this year.

Best of luck for the weekend A. I'm sure you will have an enjoyable experience and a super result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race, no pressure on whatsoever :)

Your training has been amazing and I hope you're going into this with a great deal of confidence!

Looks like it'll be nice and warm.

Jun 11, 2018 - Jun 17, 2018
    Taper Week 3
    Nice easy week of training last week. Had a few days in Listowel early in the week and did a few watch-less runs and just enjoyed the scenery and company. Checked out the course for the 12 and 24 hour race there. It’s a challenging enough loop compared to Belfast, but a nice course all the same.

At the weekend, I had some family doing a 2 mile race in Raheny, so ran with my sister and tried to encourage her as much as possible. She didn’t give in and walk, so was super happy about that. My niece did really well and Raheny tried to sign her up, but as she’s not local, it wouldn’t really work. She was told she had the makings of a sprinter, which is something I said to her about a year ago and hope she pursues that. Ran back home after the race and legs felt really sprightly.
    37.8miles/ 6 hours 14 mins

Jun 18, 2018 - Jun 24, 2018
    Race Week
    So here we are at last! This week is all about resting as much as possible with just a few short easy runs. Am focusing on eating really well and not eating any cr1p and even managed a visit to my mother without eating anything sweet except for a small slice of homemade fruitcake (oh actually, I lie, I did steal a 2 finger KitKat out of the press when no one was looking:eek:). Taper madness has not really set in, as it’s such a novelty for me to have time to do normal everyday things, I am appreciating the extra time in my day. When you’re running twice a day, and each run is a few hours, and it takes times to prepare and recover from, it’s a huge chunk out of the day which leaves little time for other stuff. Not that I'm complaining about that as I wouldn't have it any other way! Will do a small run today and tomorrow and then that’s it.

I’ve turned into a bit of a Delia Smith over the last week, cooking myself home-cooked meals and eating only natural unprocessed foods and making sure I have good carbs, protein, fats, etc in every single meal. I’m not one for the kitchen normally, but I must say I’ve been enjoying putting together some meals, just a teeny tiny bit. Even when I’m feeling really lazy, I’m making sure to make the extra effort to eat a proper meal, and not just make do with a sandwich like I normally do. I wonder if I can keep this up post-race! We shall see! Not making any promises!!!

Recap for this training cycle:
    Weekly mileage from March:
    70, 80, 90, 96, 100, 106, 100, 110, 108, 120, 130, 140, 98, 79 miles per week

Long runs since March:
    18, 22, 26, 21, 30, 25, 30, 24, 30, 24, 20, 16 miles

Weather is to be warm on race day, but not going to stress about it as there’s nothing I can do to change that. It’s positive mental attitude from here until race day. Not letting any negativity creep in whatsoever. Am ready to do this. Have had an amazing training cycle without illness or injury and feel fitter than I've ever done.
    A Goal: 200km
    B Goal: Improvement on last year's 6th place in Irish Champs
    C Goal: PB (112.5 miles)

Time to own it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement