Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'You decide your fate. Are you going to fall apart or own it?'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Incredible work A :) you must be very excited for race day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I love your enthusiasm in this post. You sound like you are at the top of your game right now. I’ll be excited for you on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

It's going to be some race for you this year A, what an unbelievable three years of dedicated training (not to mention the years of building to get ready to do your first 24 hour) to get to this point where you're feeling good after 120 and 130 mile weeks. It just goes to show that you have to look ahead to the long term goal and focus on that.

You have to be commended for your attitude to your training, I wouldn't have the confidence or the motivation to pin all my training on one race a year, that takes a massive amount of willpower.

Really looking forward to following your progress on race day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

RubyK wrote: »
    Incredible work A :) you must be very excited for race day!
    I am indeed! Extremely excited!!!! Thanks so much and really hope things are going well for you.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I love your enthusiasm in this post. You sound like you are at the top of your game right now. I’ll be excited for you on race day.
    Haha, a bit over enthusiastic maybe sometimes:). Thank you! There should be a tracker available on race day so I'll post up a link when I know.
    Hope the training is going really well.
    Neady83 wrote: »
    It's going to be some race for you this year A, what an unbelievable three years of dedicated training (not to mention the years of building to get ready to do your first 24 hour) to get to this point where you're feeling good after 120 and 130 mile weeks. It just goes to show that you have to look ahead to the long term goal and focus on that.

You have to be commended for your attitude to your training, I wouldn't have the confidence or the motivation to pin all my training on one race a year, that takes a massive amount of willpower.

Really looking forward to following your progress on race day :)

Yes, I am really surprised myself that I can cope well with the training but I guess it is a long slow gradual build up over the last few years as you say.

Yeah, I am probably unusual with the lack of racing but being perfectly honest, there was no race that really interested me locally, and I couldn't justify the cost of travelling to races that were only really going to be training runs when I can just do the runs myself for free. If it does go pear shaped on race day for whatever reason, I do have a few backup races in mind in the not too distant future. As you know yourself, with races of this length, there are any number of things that can go wrong on the day, so I definitely need to have a race to fall back on if the worst happens.

Congrats on the recent 5k pb and amazing performance in the Highland Fling! Super report and photos. I'd love to see you take on a looped 24 hour like Belfast some day! Ever think of it? I think you could do amazingly well with your experience and natural capacity for endurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Came across your log this morning and had a look at your old log.
    There’s the making of a book there, really is.
    Anyway hope you don’t mind me posting and the very best of luck in Belfast.

• Advertisement

May 21, 2018 - May 27, 2018
    So, this was my peak week of training for Belfast, and the biggest volume week I’ve ever done since I started running. The plan was for no super long run, but to pack the miles in with lots of doubles, and plenty of recovery in between, so I got out earlier than usual in the mornings, and did the later run a little later in the evenings where possible. I mentioned in the last post that I’d had a few minor niggles in the legs, so I was advised to pull back on the pace. Even though 9.20 and 30 pace was feeling super easy for me aerobically, it was better to give myself every chance of proper recovery between runs to allow myself to do the big mileage week, so I slowed down things as much as possible.

Monday

Am: 12 miles @ 9:49

Local trot around the area, feeling good and holding back on the pace.
    Pm: 12 miles @ 9:50
    Local loops

Tuesday
    am: 12 miles @ 9:48
    pm: 12 miles @ 9:45

Wednesday
    Am: 12 miles @ 9:45
    I am getting stopped regularly in my local park by dog walkers asking why I am always running there. I try to explain the race I’m doing and it confuses them even more. Some of them think I am completely crazy.Sometimes it’s hard to get around without having to regularly stop to chat which can be a bit of a pain.
    Pm: 12 miles @ 9:42

Thursday
    10 miles @ 9:45
    Easy day! Only one run :)

Friday
    Am: 5 miles @ 9:59
    Pre work plod. Am not a morning runner at all, but enjoyed this as the weather was so beautiful.
    Pm: 9 miles @ 9:48

Saturday
    20 miles @ 10:16
    The plan was to do this at 24 hour effort. A tiny bit over race pace but pretty close. Legs felt good and rehearsed everything again for race day. Was very hot though and didn’t put sunscreen so got fairly badly burned.

Sunday
    Am: 12 miles @ 9:57
    Pm: 12 miles @ 9:47

Weekly total: 140.2 miles / 23HOURS 4 MINUTES – I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And the best bit is, I’m feeling fantastic and have absolutely no niggles and I don’t even feel tired!

May 28, 2018 - Jun 3, 2018
    Taper Week 1
    Monday
    Am: 6 miles @ 10 pace
    Got to my Acres loop in the Phoenix Park only to realise my watch was dead. Tried using the phone app, but it wouldn’t work properly and I had no idea of my pace and I’m not exactly sure of the length of the loop so just ended up getting really frustrated not having control over the run. It was very hot and I had to carry the phone too and it kept slipping out of my sweaty hand so I jacked in the run after what I felt was about 6 miles. I got told off later for not just running for the allotted 2ish hours anyway so I won’t be bailing out on a run like this again just because I’m addicted to my watch/stats. Lesson learned! I need to change my mentality a bit!
    Pm: 12 miles @ 10:13
    I mentally struggled a bit today. I’d have no problem running the same loop in my park twice a day for the rest of my life, but I am sick of the same people seeing me and commenting to me about always running there. I have to pass the same people about 6 times or more on each run and it just all got to me today, so I ran down in Albert College Park instead. It’s a lovely park but I prefer my local one for running in.

Tuesday
    Am: 12 miles @ 10:07
    Pm: 12 miles @ 10:16
    Definitely a little tired today and last week catching up on me a bit methinks.

Wednesday
    This was the first day off in my plan for a few weeks and it was perfectly timed as the batteries really needed recharging both mentally and physically!

Thursday
    10 miles @ 9:40
    Easy single today. Felt great. Did a few of these miles with my bro. The day off did me so much good.

May Monthly Total: 552 Miles / 91 hours (highest to date)

Friday
    10 miles @ 9:51
    Another easy day with just the one run.

Saturday

16 miles @ 10:15
    Was done at 24 hour race pace. Timed some pee stops too as these can really eat up time in a 24 hour so need to speed ‘em up as much as possible! I’m currently at 30 seconds for an ‘en plein air’ pee, and over 1 minute for an indoor pee :)

Sunday
    Am: 10 miles @ 9:59
    Pm: 10 miles @ 9:43
    Met Skyblue from these parts on my evening run in my local park. Great to meet you, S, and lovely to hear about your running and how much you are enjoying it. Great gains made in such a short period of time and lots more to come from you!
    Weekly Total: 90 miles / 16 hours 50 mins

Jun 4, 2018 - Jun 10, 2018

Taper Week 2
    Monday
    Am: 12 miles @ 9:57
    Pm: 8 miles @ 9:44

Tuesday

Am: 12 miles @ 10:14
    Pm: 6 miles @ 11

Wednesday
    10 miles @ 10:07
    Very busy with a new calligraphy project this week, so delighted to have lots of singles to allow me more time to work on it without disruptions.

Thursday
    6 miles @ 9:47

Friday
    10 miles @ 9:43

Saturday

14 miles @ 10:13
    Race day pace again. Rehearsed breakfast and outfit etc. Very warm today, and that kind of heat used to really bother me in the past, but since having experienced running in Kenya, where you have not only the heat to deal with, but the altitude and the terrain also, it’s an absolute breeze plodding along in the mid-day sun and doesn’t concern me in the least. Am delighted about this as if race day is hot, I feel fairly confident that I’ll be ok.

Sunday
    Rest. What? Another day off??? This taper lark is hard to get used to!

Weekly Total: 78 miles / 13 hours 7 minutes

So, am well into my 3rd week of taper now and feeling good. No niggles in the legs and they’re starting to feel nice and fresh. Need to cut back a bit on the eating now as I want to be as light as possible for race day so my daily Lidl giant chocolate chip cookie has had to go along with the excesses of white bread :( All healthy nutritious food from here on in. I was very bold and had a few glasses of wine early this week, but that’s out the window now completely until after the race. Am getting my race crew prepped in the next few days and starting to go through lists from the previous years to ensure I remember everything I need to bring with me on the day. Having done this race twice already, it’s great not having to worry about logistics etc as I have most of it nailed down to a ‘T’ (table, chairs, tents for crew, system for my nutrition on the day etc, race day pacing plan etc etc). It’s finally starting to become real now and I’m getting genuinely very excited. I feel strong, and very well trained. I got through the whole year without having to take a day off for sickness or injury, so count myself very lucky on that score. All the little details for this training block have been so well micro-managed by my coach, that as long as nothing outside of my control goes wrong on the day, I feel I have a very good chance of reaching my A goal. The big thing for me on the day is that when the going gets really tough (which it 100% will), that I stay strong and in control, and not start making excuses and giving in to that little voice… But I won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Superb. So impressive, looking forward to seeing how the race goes! Will there be trackers for the event? Not sure how these ultras work...

The very best of luck.

You've started timing your pee's .... this is a whole new level of keeping to time (mental note made for my own races going forward) :)

You have enough experience and training behind you to not give that little voice a platform, I've no doubt that you have it silenced. You're on the home straight, it's very exciting though I understand that the nerves must be kicking in now. eeekkkk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff, A - all the best.

Why don't you ask those people in the park why they're always walking there? That'll put manners on 'em. ;)

Enjoy the final taper week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Amazing training!! You will reap the reward :D

Is it time to pack yet? Can only imagine the butterflies in your stomach this week :)

Been thinking of you loads. I’ll be on holidays so hope I have WiFi to track you.

Hope you are feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Best of luck for the 24hour, hope everything goes according to plan :)

You couldn't have done anything more in training or preparation I don't think.

I'll be checking the tracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck A not that you need it looking at the prep

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Superb. So impressive, looking forward to seeing how the race goes! Will there be trackers for the event? Not sure how these ultras work...
    Hey! Thanks so much, ReeReeG! The timing is being done by Myrunresults.com so I guess there will be a link there on the day or it will be posted here https://www.facebook.com/belfast24/
    Hope your running is going great!!!
    You've started timing your pee's .... this is a whole new level of keeping to time (mental note made for my own races going forward) :)

You have enough experience and training behind you to not give that little voice a platform, I've no doubt that you have it silenced. You're on the home straight, it's very exciting though I understand that the nerves must be kicking in now. eeekkkk
    Yep, it's PMA all the way, Neady. Not nervous at all which is weird. Strangely calm :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Great stuff, A - all the best.

Why don't you ask those people in the park why they're always walking there? That'll put manners on 'em. ;)

Enjoy the final taper week.
    Haha, funny you should say that. There's one woman in particular who I was seeing in there absolutely every single day, no matter what time I went running at! She has about 10 dogs. I met her in there one evening, after having seen her that morning too, and got my own back by asking her why she's ALWAYS in there! She looked really embarrassed :D:D
    RubyK wrote: »
    Amazing training!! You will reap the reward :D
    Thanks so much, A! Let's hope so!!!! Great to see your running going well:)

Is it time to pack yet? Can only imagine the butterflies in your stomach this week :)
    Am excited alright, and really can't wait to get going! Packing things at my leisure this week. It's great that it doesn't start until 1pm so can travel up that morning and sleep in my own bed the night before. Thanks for all your amazing support over the training block!!!!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Been thinking of you loads. I’ll be on holidays so hope I have WiFi to track you.

Hope you are feeling good.
    Really appreciate that, Kellygirl. Am feeling really good! No excuses, no regrets...
    Best of luck for the 24hour, hope everything goes according to plan :)

You couldn't have done anything more in training or preparation I don't think.

I'll be checking the tracker!
    Means a lot, thanks, M! Yep, absolutely delighted with the training and prep. The whole thing has been an absolute blast!!! Thanks again.
    ger664 wrote: »
    Best of luck A not that you need it looking at the prep
    Cheers, Ger! Very kind of you to say. A little bit of luck with the weather would be nice all the same!!! See you there if you are crewing this year.

Best of luck for the weekend A. I'm sure you will have an enjoyable experience and a super result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race, no pressure on whatsoever :)

Your training has been amazing and I hope you're going into this with a great deal of confidence!

Looks like it'll be nice and warm.

Jun 11, 2018 - Jun 17, 2018
    Taper Week 3
    Nice easy week of training last week. Had a few days in Listowel early in the week and did a few watch-less runs and just enjoyed the scenery and company. Checked out the course for the 12 and 24 hour race there. It’s a challenging enough loop compared to Belfast, but a nice course all the same.

At the weekend, I had some family doing a 2 mile race in Raheny, so ran with my sister and tried to encourage her as much as possible. She didn’t give in and walk, so was super happy about that. My niece did really well and Raheny tried to sign her up, but as she’s not local, it wouldn’t really work. She was told she had the makings of a sprinter, which is something I said to her about a year ago and hope she pursues that. Ran back home after the race and legs felt really sprightly.
    37.8miles/ 6 hours 14 mins

Jun 18, 2018 - Jun 24, 2018
    Race Week
    So here we are at last! This week is all about resting as much as possible with just a few short easy runs. Am focusing on eating really well and not eating any cr1p and even managed a visit to my mother without eating anything sweet except for a small slice of homemade fruitcake (oh actually, I lie, I did steal a 2 finger KitKat out of the press when no one was looking:eek:). Taper madness has not really set in, as it’s such a novelty for me to have time to do normal everyday things, I am appreciating the extra time in my day. When you’re running twice a day, and each run is a few hours, and it takes times to prepare and recover from, it’s a huge chunk out of the day which leaves little time for other stuff. Not that I'm complaining about that as I wouldn't have it any other way! Will do a small run today and tomorrow and then that’s it.

I’ve turned into a bit of a Delia Smith over the last week, cooking myself home-cooked meals and eating only natural unprocessed foods and making sure I have good carbs, protein, fats, etc in every single meal. I’m not one for the kitchen normally, but I must say I’ve been enjoying putting together some meals, just a teeny tiny bit. Even when I’m feeling really lazy, I’m making sure to make the extra effort to eat a proper meal, and not just make do with a sandwich like I normally do. I wonder if I can keep this up post-race! We shall see! Not making any promises!!!

Recap for this training cycle:
    Weekly mileage from March:
    70, 80, 90, 96, 100, 106, 100, 110, 108, 120, 130, 140, 98, 79 miles per week

Long runs since March:
    18, 22, 26, 21, 30, 25, 30, 24, 30, 24, 20, 16 miles

Weather is to be warm on race day, but not going to stress about it as there’s nothing I can do to change that. It’s positive mental attitude from here until race day. Not letting any negativity creep in whatsoever. Am ready to do this. Have had an amazing training cycle without illness or injury and feel fitter than I've ever done.
    A Goal: 200km
    B Goal: Improvement on last year's 6th place in Irish Champs
    C Goal: PB (112.5 miles)

Time to own it!

• Advertisement

Go for it A! Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

That is some block of training, A... we will all be thinking of you (and tracking you) at the weekend, very best of luck with it, hopefully everything goes your way, you've earned it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you know, I was thinking about you the other day - in the same vein as Krusty Clown.

When you read back on KC's log - its all there, from day 1 - people take a lot of inspiration from it.

I'd say you are going to have a cracking few years ahead to compliment your rather excellent couple of years gone by - but the journey to it might be lost on some people. People might think that you've always been this 'excellent' and miss the hard work you put in to 'grow' yourself to where you are now.
    Its been an incredible journey to watch and see how you've made the transition to becoming a machine of an ultra athlete.

No doubt though, you will have people who look at this log and take massive inspiration from it and then when they read the old log (which I know you've linked on page 1) - they'll see the transition and the hard work.

Very best of luck at the weekend - you're the most focused athlete on these Boards and deserve to hit your targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Amazing levels of dedication to prepare for this. You're covering more miles in most weeks than some of us cover in a month. This weekend, I'm confident that you'll reap the rewards of all the training!

you know, I was thinking about you the other day - in the same vein as Krusty Clown.

When you read back on KC's log - its all there, from day 1 - people take a lot of inspiration from it.

I'd say you are going to have a cracking few years ahead to compliment your rather excellent couple of years gone by - but the journey to it might be lost on some people. People might think that you've always been this 'excellent' and miss the hard work you put in to 'grow' yourself to where you are now.
    Its been an incredible journey to watch and see how you've made the transition to becoming a machine of an ultra athlete.

No doubt though, you will have people who look at this log and take massive inspiration from it and then when they read the old log (which I know you've linked on page 1) - they'll see the transition and the hard work.

Very best of luck at the weekend - you're the most focused athlete on these Boards and deserve to hit your targets.

I had never looked at your old log but did last night after AMKs post. Only got to read the first two pages but all I can say is WOW! I’m so impressed and inspired by where you have come from. Hope you have the feet up and give it socks tomorrow.

Big +1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's hard to find words to say to someone like you who is so totally awe-inspiring and inspirational... your training has been amazing, it's unbelievable that you are an amateur at this and yet you train like a professional. I wish you the very best in Belfast, I hope you have an amazing race experience and get all the rewards you've earned with true hard work, dedication, patience and determination. Like many others I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ariana` wrote: »
    It's hard to find words to say to someone like you who is so totally awe-inspiring and inspirational... your training has been amazing, it's unbelievable that you are an amateur at this and yet you train like a professional. I wish you the very best in Belfast, I hope you have an amazing race experience and get all your the rewards you've earned it with true hard work, dedication, patience and determination. Like many others I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it in due course.

What ariana' said! I couldn't have put it any better. The very best of luck at the weekend. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Wow!!!! I appreciate all the messages and good wishes SO much! They really mean a lot to me :)
    Can't wait to get going now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best Aoife. Have a great weekend - I’m confident you’ll reap the benefit from all that great work. Rip it up!

Advertisement