Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lusk 4 mile Road Race 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

The support in Lusk for the (cough/whisper) half marathon was excellent so hopefully they'll turn out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Living locally, I'll be running this. Its an old 4-mile race from the 80s/90s that's being recommenced by Lusk Athletic club. Should be well supported on the streets as it loops through parts of the main village 3 times (but without the traffic issues from the SSE half!).
    I heard today that there's a few hundred signed up on the early bird and good interest from the other local clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Loads of us from Raheny are doing it! Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Anyone got details on the fun run part? As my 4 Year old has started doing a couple of runs, all about the bling ha

Wondering whether to sign him up & do it with him, as well as 4 mile myself

Signed up for this

Son will also be doing the under 8's race. Looks similar to the raheny one, and he loved that, especially the goody bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

colin32 wrote: »
    Anyone got details on the fun run part? As my 4 Year old has started doing a couple of runs, all about the bling ha

Wondering whether to sign him up & do it with him, as well as 4 mile myself

underage races are at 2pm, main race at 3pm. Best to check their facebook page for more details - they appear to be actively updating there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

For those not on FB:

** Update Friday 2nd **

Thank you to everyone for your patience and understanding while we're in the midst of Storm Emma.

The race committee are monitoring the situation by the hour. With guidance from Fingal Co Co & Met Éireann we will make a decision on Saturday.

In the meantime number & t-shirt collection is ONLY tomorrow Saturday 10 - 2pm in Centra, Dun Emer, Lusk & on race day.

Again thank you for all your kind words and support to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Race definitely going ahead tomorrow according to Facebook and a text from MyRunResults.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

I signed up for this but shocked to hear it’s going ahead - Im not sure I’ll head out to it. I feel like I’d run the whole race with the fear of slipping on my mind the whole time. I was really looking forward to it but struggling to see how they are so confident it’s safe to go ahead with it. Does anyone else have similar concerns?

Goose76 wrote: »
    I signed up for this but shocked to hear it’s going ahead - Im not sure I’ll head out to it. I feel like I’d run the whole race with the fear of slipping on my mind the whole time. I was really looking forward to it but struggling to see how they are so confident it’s safe to go ahead with it. Does anyone else have similar concerns?

I'm the same. They say it's safe to go ahead, but advise care when travelling on untreated roads. So surely if there's untreated roads in the area, which there will be, then it can't be safe to run

A lot of other races this weekend have been cancelled and pushed back a week

I won't be travelling for it. Instead I'll either do the dreadmill or go for a local run, as the roads are clear here

• Advertisement

colin32 wrote: »
    I'm the same. They say it's safe to go ahead, but advise care when travelling on untreated roads. So surely if there's untreated roads in the area, which there will be, then it can't be safe to run

A lot of other races this weekend have been cancelled and pushed back a week

I won't be travelling for it. Instead I'll either do the dreadmill or go for a local run, as the roads are clear here

Glad I’m not the only one, I was afraid I was overreacting or being dramatic! It’ll be frustrating being at home knowing the race is on but I’d rather that than running a risk of injury or heading all the way to Lusk and back (it would be almost a full day for me) just to do a cautious slow run :(

Feel bad for the parents of the kids doing the children’s run, wouldn’t like to have to make a decision for them!

My 4 Year old was going to be doing the run. That's one of main reasons I was doing this race, as not many kids races around. He loves getting a medal & goody bag

He's doing the mini great Ireland run next

It's not worth the risk of injury. There's plenty of other races coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Turns out it was a really good race this afternoon, very easy to get to as all the roads were clear (30 minutes from Clonsilla)

The organizers did a great job on the course, no snow or ice anywhere, they did change it from the original course with two laps which included somebody’s front garden😂😂 but overall it was a very enjoyable run out.

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

AAD wrote: »
    Turns out it was a really good race this afternoon, very easy to get to as all the roads were clear (30 minutes from Clonsilla)

The organizers did a great job on the course, no snow or ice anywhere, they did change it from the original course with two laps which included somebody’s front garden😂😂 but overall it was a very enjoyable run out.

Well done to all involved.

Absolutely agree.

Really wasn't looking forward to this and didn't think it would go ahead but fair play to all volunteers and the race committee.

A great race and well organised.

The turn into a driveway was scary and random as very busy after just starting but delighted to have ran and a great result for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Goose76 wrote: »

That's a bit melodramatic! The race went ahead today with zero problems, not a bit of snow on the roads. The organisers got it totally right and worked hard to make it a success.

Fair play to them and to the 440 that took part with no problems.

pc11 wrote: »
    That's a bit melodramatic! The race went ahead today with zero problems, not a bit of snow on the roads. The organisers got it totally right and worked hard to make it a success.

Fair play to them and to the 440 that took part with no problems.

I’m very glad to hear it went well :) Unfortunately I wasn’t to know that yesterday evening when I made the decision not to go.

Genuinely happy all went well but it is disappointing for those who couldn’t travel or who didn’t feel comfortable travelling under the conditions.

Advertisement