Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under-rated, forgotten and never heard of bands

• 05-02-2018 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So I'm sitting here in work on a bit of a nostalgia trip for the music of my teenage years, back to the days of Limewire and Kazaa.

I remembered years ago downloading a song claiming to be Korn and Slipknot together, doing a song called Queen of the Damned, and it came out right around the time of the movie.

Many years later I found out it was actually by a band called Seeded Crown, and they were actually pretty great.

So go on, give us all some links to bands many of us would never have heard of, old and new. Bands we've all forgotten or who were just plain under-rated for their time.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moved from Films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't think this band is too well-known (though what's obscure these days with Youtube?)

Sleep - Dragonaut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Sleep are most definitely not obscure. Quite a lot of people cream their pants over Dopesmoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sleep are most definitely not obscure. Quite a lot of people cream their pants over Dopesmoker.

Quite a lot of people who quite a lot of people have never met in real life.

Yeah Sleep are relatively well known in certain circles but they're hardly a household name, let's be real here.

I don't know if Rachel Stamp were underrated, but they're pretty forgotten. However, I remember really enjoying this particular video when it came on MTV2 back in the day. I think it was at the height of Nu-Metal/Post Grunge, too, so it was a refreshing change.

• Advertisement

The Deadlights were around at the height of nu-metal but never broke.

There was nothing amazing about them, but the final song on their debut was head and shoulders above everything else they produced. Check it out here.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

These guys from the 90s are someone I've never really heard discussed much

Psych/prog stuff

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Endless Boogie are a somewhat underground band whose songs often consist of them hypnotically grooving on one riff for maybe 10 minutes or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Arghus wrote: »
    Quite a lot of people who quite a lot of people have never met in real life.

Yeah Sleep are relatively well known in certain circles but they're hardly a household name, let's be real here.
    This being a music forum, I assume that people here have better knowledge of music than the common household.

Or should I re-evaluate that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭wally1990

I remember hearing this band on Kerrang years ago and their singles being stuck in my head

Defo never made it big but weren’t an awful band either

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpdsUU5tihM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There was a time when I thought I was the only one who'd ever heard of Thought Industry, a bunch of nutters out of Kalamazoo, MI. I found some of their CDs on remainder sale in London and latched on to tracks like this:

They released several more albums, but not much happened commercially, and they went through personnel changes and fell apart. But they put on a reunion show in 2014, I see:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This being a music forum, I assume that people here have better knowledge of music than the common household.

Or should I re-evaluate that?

Perhaps, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Evile - Five serpents teeth is still an incredible album.

Never heard of them then when AC/DC played The Point on Black Ice tour we went to Fibbers early afternoon for drinks before gig, Evile were playing there, don't think they'd ever had so many people watching their soundcheck before, set us up great for the night ahead.
    Chatted to one of the guys who sadly died a short while later, nice bloke he was too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

That reminds me a lot on that supposed Alice In Chains/Pearl Jam collab which turned out to be the work of a completely unrelated band called Downface.

Advertisement